2007 - Look Back in Anger !!!

Reg, Contributing Editor, TvNewsLIES.org

I just can’t do it this time, folks. I simply cannot wish you all a Happy New Year with a straight face and a hopeful heart. The words no longer make any sense at all, not after seven years of descending every so consistently into Bushco Hell. I no longer believe in the good wishes we traditionally exchange at this time of year and I no longer can summon up the hypocrisy needed to pretend that 2008 will be an iota better for any of us than any of the other years of this murderous regime. .

In fact, I am dead certain it would take a miracle to have anything close to a really Happy New Year. And I do not, I absolutely do not believe in miracles.

I also believe it would take a miracle for many people to understand that my anger and my frustration are based in tragic reality rather than partisan politics. Americans seem to be a people with a very short memory span and a very limited sense of outrage. I don’t know what it will take to shake them into any semblance of collective outrage or united action. I do know however, that I am angrier at the close of this year than at the end of any other year that has passed.

It was a year of stunning inaction, during which so much that might have been done, and that could have been done, was NOT done, 2007 was heralded as a year of hope and progress. It was not. At year’s end, the crimes of the Bush administration still were business as usual. At year’s end, every outrage against the nation and the world remained uninvestigated and unpunished.

And by the year’s end, members of both parties had joined forces to do nothing at all that might lead to a Happy New Year for anyone..

Impeach  George W. Bush and Dick Cheney
• End the illegal and immoral wars against Iraq and Afghanistan
• Challenge the lies about a nuclear buildup in Iran
• Investigate what really happened on 9/11
• Repeal the Patriot Act
• Investigate official misconduct by Alberto Gonzalez
• Investigate the outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame
• Charge those who allowed the torture of Iraqis
• Investigate rendition and torture of detainees
• Close Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay Prisons
• Challenge the abuse of signing statements by George Bush
• Investigate the administration’s spying on Americans before 9/11
• Challenge the constitutionality of the Military Commissions Act
• Challenge directives giving George Bush dictatorial powers
• Demand accountability for billions misspent and ‘lost’ in Iraq
• Demand accountability for billions paid to private contractors
• Expose the influence of PNAC members on US foreign policy
• Challenge the lies to minimize the dangers of global warming
• Restore the constitutional division of church and state
• Protect a woman’s right to privacy
• Restore habeas corpus and the Fourth Amendment

…and on and on and on…

So, where is the sincerity in wishing anyone a Happy New Year, when it is so painfully apparent that it will be a lousy year for so many once again? The economy is tanking, gas prices are going through the roof, tens of millions of Americans are without health insurance, and a half gallon of orange juice is somewhere around four dollars. China owns us, the dollar is worthless, Pakistan is imploding, the massacres in Darfur go on unabated, Israel is building hundreds of new settlements in the West Bank. Tens of thousands of Katrina victims are still suffering, US military deaths in Iraq have topped 3900 and we’ll never get the real numbers of maimed and wounded of our kids or Iraqi or Iraqi civilians.

And George Bush has not yet given up on the idea of bombing Iran.

I know, I know…..look for the silver lining, - after all it’s a new year and there’s always the hope that things will get better. No way.

I honestly wish it were different. I wish the reality of where we are, and what his happening was not fading from the public conscience. I wish that the mainstream media were not controlled by their corporate masters and would report the news with some journalistic integrity. I wish, I wish, but wishing won’t make it so.

I don’t know what will. But make-believe is out this year. I can’t do it.

Please forgive.

REFERENCES:

Dick Cheney: Ground Zero of Corruption

Lies of an American President

Required Reading for Bush Supporters

15 Responses to “2007 - Look Back in Anger !!!”

1. Shared Humanity says:

You are accurately voicing the despair that many of us are feeling. I cannot believe what this nation has become.

2. toeg says:

While I agree with your conclusions, I respectfully submit that you’ve shortened the tiimeline considerably. While Bush is the most dictatorial president we’ve probably ever had, he is by no means unique in this regard. We have officially intervened in other countries’ internal affairs at least 163 times since the Revolutionary War.

What we are seeing is the raw evil that most American administrations have used in the past, but without the usual smoke and mirrors attached. We are watching our government in its full belligerent form, the same that started the Vietnam Was on lies, the same one that overthrew President Allende on September 11, 1973, Mossadeq in Iran in 1953, etc. Our foreign policy has been particularly belicose and horrific.

As long as we continue to vote for Tweedledee or Tweedledum, the Republicrat Party will freely and joyfully send our country into ruin. I’m glad you’ve finally seen the man behind the curtain, but switching from one dictator to another every four to eight years, will not stop our continuous illegal intervention into other countries nor into our own privacy.

We need to get rid of that guy and tear down his machine before he does something like start WWIII (and he’s already promised to do just that).

3. niftydeano says:

Thanks for a very accurate assessment of where we are. I share your out-rage, but have pretty much given up hope (that) things will change for the better. It is rumored that Sandra D. O’Conner, after retiring from the Supreme Court, said she believed we as a nation have begun to slip into dictatorship. For many years, we in the US were told how in the Soviet Union, the media would always have to run things through their government for approval before printing or saying anything publically. (According to the American Free Press), in this country, the main stream media controls everything — including our elections — and even our government submits to whatever the media says. So it’s pretty much the same thing. The media is getting their instructions directly from our governments puppet masters. It was Clinton in ‘96 that signed the communications act into law, that allowed further consolidation of media giants, and now just a few run the entire show. I want to say just one more thing, and then I’ll be quiet. Whether or not you believe the Bible, it appears obvious from the book of Daniel chapter 8, that we WILL attack Iran. It talks about an attack on the ram (later it identifies the ram as being made up of both Iraq and Iran (the meeds and the persians) by a “he-goat”. Do you remember the title of the book GW Bush was reading as the twin towers were being attacked? He was reading “My Pet Goat” to the school children. Within a week in a nation-wide address, he further spoke of an alliance of nations being formed to confront terrorism and he called it the Global Opposition Against Terrorism (GOAT). The Bible states we will be “successful” against the ram, however the horn on the “he-goat” was broken as a result. So it also appears that finally our own fighting ability will be no more as a result of this attack. Sounds to me like maybe our dollar will have completely collapsed by then.
    I really feel strongly that without at least a portion of the main stream media taking a patriotic side along with the people, we don’t stand a chance. Just a few days ago, they were STILL spewing the BIG LIE that Oswald alone killed JFK. THE MEDIA JUST CAN’T BE TRUSTED TO TELL THE TRUTH

4. docutopian says:

I tried to Digg your article for your good list of grievances that we all share, but Digg told me that the URL was invalid. I’m trying not to jump to a conclusion of censorship, so–do you have any idea why that might be happening?

5. skeptx says:

I began reading your thoughts after seeing you linked to a good many “911 truth” sites. I do know that your health has prevented a daily “thought”. I do look to your words of wisdom. This gives me hope that the truth will get out. There are far too many so called Left or Democratic sites that ignore the 911 truth , or worse deny or ridicule it.
    Many Americans believe we have a legitimate government. Many believe life is just peachy with a “folksy” good old boy in charge of the government everyone wants to have a proverbial beer with.
    The schools and churches, all of television (except the I.N.N. report),
    continue to “catapult the propaganda”. More than thousands of soldiers dead, a national debt that is beyond help. America will have to learn the hard way, the way Germany did. America is a fascist dictatorship, on the verge of collapse. I am losing hope in “truth, justice, and the American way”.

6. eric swan says:

“Enjoyed” your rant. Right on in my opinion, but I do see a ray of light in the descending gloom and that is this: the curtain has been raised, revealing the wizard as a fraud. Never before have so many had access to so much, thanks to the net, and the polls show it. One can get a sense of where our interests lie by the number of hits a site gets, and in that regard on “Utube” for instance 911 is right up there with “large Breasts”. Given the demographics of that site, I find this truly amazing.

7. tquigly says:

Ron Paul has repeatedly stated he will accomplish many items on your list. First order of business - Bring The Troops Home. His stance is not just anti-aggression, but an economic one as well - he rails against the obscene amounts of money we are dumping down the drain not only in Iraq and Afghanistan, but through our bases in Korea, Europe and elsewhere around the globe. We are bankrupting our nation.
    He also repeatedly speaks out against the illegal acts (fauxPatriot, habeas corpus, etc) perpetrated on our country over the past 6 years.
    Ron Paul is not saying these things merely for this election - his 10-term record shows consistency in policy and thought. He is an intelligent man who studies issues before setting policy. He speaks truth to power and fights for freedom and justice. He is the Only candidate of either party with the courage and conviction to do so. That is why his support is skyrocketing.
    The times they are a changin’

8. Reggie says:

Thanks to all who posted. These were really super responses. For the record, Ron Paul is an anti-war libertarian….who wants government out of anything and everything. He’s a good man with an anti choice record whom I could never support on that basis alone.

As to digg….. they may not recognize blogs. Who knows? But I don’t believe that censorship is totally out of the question. Thanks for trying. Feel free to post this anywhere you’d like…..most forums are uncensored.

Peace.
    Reg

9. [...] 2007 - Look Back in Anger! Excerpted with permission from LOOK BACK IN ANGER: …Americans seem to be a people with a very short memory span and a very limited sense of outrage. I don?t know what it will take to shake them into any semblance of collective outrage or united action. I do know however, that I am angrier at the close of this year than at the end of any other year that has passed. As you might well imagine, I am furious with the usual suspects: the corporate thugs, the PNAC warmongers and the religious fanatics who have wreaked such irreparable havoc on us all. TVNL has raged against what they have done to destroy the lives of so many.. But this time around I am ever more unforgiving in my despair and pessimism because of what has NOT been done by those who could have and should have lived up to the promise of change . It was a year of stunning inaction, during which so much that might have been done, and that could have been done, was NOT done, 2007 was heralded as a year of hope and progress. It was not. At year?s end, the crimes of the Bush administration still were business as usual. At year?s end, every outrage against the nation and the world remained uninvestigated and unpunished. And by the year?s end, members of both parties had joined forces to do nothing at all that might lead to a Happy New Year for anyone.. Just think about it for a minute. Here are some of the issues that could have been dealt with in 2007 and are OFF THE TABLE for any legislative action as I write. Even if every one of them had failed to pass a divided Congress, in the very least, the facts finally would have been placed in the public arena. In the very least, they would not have been swept under the proverbial rug of our shamefully intimidated and cowardly elected legislators. As 2008 begins, here are SOME of the issues that have endangered our democracy and the lives of so many around the world. For all of 2007, there was no action, nor were there any plans to:… FULL ARTICLE AND LIST OF ISSUES: TvNewsLIES.org ? Blog Archive ? 2007 - Look Back in Anger !!! [...]

10. a2planet says:

Are you kidding? At least in 2007 the people actually rose up and grabbed the one man in America qualified for the Presidency and made him front-runner. Even if he doesn’t win, the Ron Paul campaign has laid the groundwork for a nationwide political network that is already running hundreds of candidates at the state and local levels next year. And a LOT of people are ones who weren’t involved in politics before but now are ready. 2007 was just getting ready for 2008, that’s all.

By the way, Reggie… “protect a woman’s right to privacy…” what?! I know you aren’t talking about abortion, because abortion IS protected (and because speaking in misleading code-words like calling “right to abort your fetus” a “right to privacy” would be unethical. So is there some special right of privacy that men don’t get? I’m confused.

Guys, I miss your site when it was updated on a regular basis. What is going on? The media censorship of the Paul campaign has been THE biggest (and well-documented) media phenomenon of 2007… and you aren’t covering it? What’s happening over there?

11. Hey, did you guys hear your guy Ron Paul in the debate the other night. The part where he was asked a question about how many of his supporters ore 9-11 conspiracy theorists. And he said he doesn’t believe 9-11 was an inside job?

12. Man in a shed says:

The duality of creation mandates evil as well as good. Just as there is a balance in Nature between the two, we need to balance our mental diet of good and evil.
    As compelling and important as the Great Lie is to us who see it, obsessing on it will result in depression and illness. You can’t take any of it too seriously.
    A flower always blooms in it’s own time. Most people aren’t ready to learn the ugly truth of our involuntary subjugation by the money goons. I got banned from a conservative forum I posted on for years because they didn’t want to hear anything that threatened their world views. Soldiers couldn’t accept that they were fighting under false pretenses. I was repeatedly attacked by people I thought were my friends for merely stating my opinion.
    People will violently protect their comfortable little fantasy world if any sort of idea threatens to damage it. Facts and evidence make no difference when it comes to someones “beliefs”. They will decide not to accept certain ideas no matter how persuasively an argument is presented.
    People are very hive like when it comes to things like this. If you come back to the hive with new ideas, the guard bees will attack you and drive you out.
    Anyway, it’s all a part of the “Play of Life”. Balance and patience will help.

13. ftr@hm.com says:

Hi Reggie. Im a Canadian and I welcome the existance of anyone that is willing to print the truth. I have just recently been been given your web address, and from what I have read so far, I can see that we agree on many things. There is one issue that concerns me as a Canadian.
    Anti Canadian sentiment seems to be running rampant within the U.S. This I do not understand since our two countries have stood side by side in screwing the world over for ever( along with Brits of course).
    I find it is ironic that your corporate based leaders are fighting to controll oil in the middle east while your home based protesters are screeming for us to keep our “dirty oil”.
    Without trying to hurt any of your readers feelings, I would like you to inform your readers especially those uninformed protesters that we would like nothing better than to keep the resources from our country in our country. But thanks to free trade our resources have been basically handed over to U.S. corperations and our controll is minimal as is the controll of our lumber.
    I put this to you, DO you think that if Canada witheld access to Canadian oil, or any other resource that corporate America feels it is entitled to, the U.S. corperate government would try to invade us?
    My answer to this would be YES, you see, I believe greed has no borders or friends, only allies. as our ex primeminister mulrony was allied with your government in the free trade deception that cost our country jobs and controll of our resources. Most of us consider mulrony a traitor to this country and we also feel he was on the U.S corporate payroll before he ever became primeminister and went against our country,s majority vote for no free trade. (search “I hate brian mullrony” and see what I mean).
    In closing I must say that I have a solution to all the worlds proboblems.I think that if we ban all the corporate scum and idiotic tv idols and their laywer friends from running our countries, states and provinces and give the people back controll of their countries we may be able to have some Peace.
    P.S. I am a firm believer that ” the government should be afraid of the people not the other way around”, untill that happens we are all just slaves under a false umbrella called “democracy”

14. truthbeknown says:

Where are you?
    Nothing has been written since December 30th.
    At least let your readers hear something from either one of you.
    It’s getting stale out here.
    So much has happened and nothing is noted.
    If something has happened good or bad please update us on your condition.
    Believe it or not WE all care.

15. Reggie says:

Two responses….. first to our Canadian friend. I am aware of no hostility towards Canadians….simply some angst over your imitation of our stupidity by allowing a Conservative to lead your beautiful country.

We know of the support we have from our friends to the north. Many of us fear the collusion between our two nations. The fact that your government caved in and removed the US and Israel from your list of Nations that Torture….shows how vulnerable our confidence is in your ability to stand up to Bush and his cohorts. We’re trying to vote them out of office here. We hope you go for it as well.

And to Truthbeknown. We are redoing the main TVNL site. Our new editorials are being posted as we have time to do so. Check out http://tvnewslies.org/tvnl for the new format. Click Editorials at the top for the most recent. We will get back to regular blogs and editorials very soon. Don’t you dare abandon us in the meantime….:-)