Post subject: THE OIL SPILL 2010
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PHOTOS: GULF OF MEXICO OIL SPILL REACHES LAND

:( :cry: :( :cry:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: THE OIL SPILL 2010
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Icy crystals foil attempt to cap oil leak

TAR BALLS WASHING ASHORE ON ALABAMA ISLAND

ON THE GULF OF MEXICO - A novel but risky attempt to use a 100-ton steel-and-concrete box to cover a deepwater oil well gushing toxic crude into the Gulf of Mexico was aborted Saturday after ice crystals encased it, an ominous development as thick blobs of tar began washing up on Alabama's white sand beaches.

The setback left the mission to cap the ruptured well in doubt. It had taken about two weeks to build the box and three days to cart it 50 miles out then slowly lower it to the well a mile below the surface, but the frozen depths were too much for it...

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

IT'S ONLY GETTING WORSE!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/2 ... r=Politics

Gulf Oil Spill: Cleaning Wetlands May Be Impossible, Scientists Say

NEW ORLEANS — The gooey oil washing into the maze of marshes along the Gulf Coast could prove impossible to remove, leaving a toxic stew lethal to fish and wildlife, government officials and independent scientists said.

Officials are considering some drastic and risky solutions: They could set the wetlands on fire or flood areas in hopes of floating out the oil.

They warn an aggressive cleanup could ruin the marshes and do more harm than good. The only viable option for many impacted areas is to do nothing and let nature break down the spill.

More than 50 miles of Louisiana's delicate shoreline already have been soiled by the massive slick unleashed after the Deepwater Horizon rig burned and sank last month. Officials fear oil eventually could invade wetlands and beaches from Texas to Florida. Louisiana is expected to be hit hardest.

On Saturday, a major pelican rookery was awash in oil off Louisiana's coast. Hundreds of birds nest on the island, and an Associated Press photographer saw some birds and their eggs stained with the ooze. Nests were perched in mangroves directly above patches of crude

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:32 pm 

Let me tell you, I post some on this other board that is not political in nature at all and there has been a discussion about the oil spill. Most everyone is just horrified about everything that is happening, the cover ups, the lies... its horrible and disgusting. Anyway, this woman says this:

Quote:
Well still....

the subject title of the thread implies that we (the USA) should not drill off our coasts . . . however, other countries ARE DRILLING off our coasts, so why shouldn't we? I'm all for nuclear power and natural gas, but in the meantime, yeah, drill baby drill!

We "the people" as a public never get the whole story on anything. I could share countless "rest of the story" on many major national interest items, stuff that the public was never told. What does it matter after the fact? We have real issues in the world today, and another oil accident is small comparatively, imo. But this is being heightened for political reasons, imo. I mean, the media scared and worried us for over a month before any oil began showing up. Their tactics didn't change BP nor our own govenment's reactions, it only injured the people like terrorists like to.

To which I replied:
Quote:
I think that saying other countries are drilling off the coast, so we should drill off the coast is a false dichotomy. Perhaps instead we should work on finding other ways do produce power.

Of course, she also says more:
Quote:
I can understand that two (or three or four) wrongs don't make a right, however, since North America will reap the consequences if other country's oil rigging goes awry, why not reap the benefits in the meantime while drilling ourselves?

I just had to quit responding, she's a fucking idiot.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like she's been listening to Faux Noise, Michelle Bachman, & Sarah Palin while she's not very bright to begin with. :roll:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
"The oil spill is as natural as water"
Rush Limbaugh May 4, 2010

"So, where's the oil?"
FOX's Britt Hume May 14, 2010

"Holding BP responsible is un-American"
Rand Paul May 20, 2010

"The Gulf spill is not an environmental disaster… it is a natural phenomenon, just nature taking its course"
Rep. Don Young R-Alaska
June 3, 2010

"Drill, baby Drill"
Republican chant lead by John McCain, Sarah Palin, Michael Steele and hordes of people with teabags stapled to their hats...”

GULF ISLANDS NATIONAL SEASHORE, Fla. -- Waves of gooey tar blobs were washing ashore on the white sand of the Florida Panhandle and nearby Alabama beaches Friday as a slick from the BP spill moved closer to shore.

Spotters who had been seeing a few tar balls in recent days found a substantially larger number starting before dawn on the beaches of the Gulf Islands National Seashore and nearby areas, a county emergency official said. The park is a long string of connected barrier islands near Pensacola.

Keith Wilkins from Escambia County emergency management said tar patties were are pretty thick on parts of the beach, as much as one every foot.

Small gobs of reddish brown oil washed up in the surf for the first time in nearby Gulf Shores, Ala., on Friday morning and a petroleum smell tinged the air.

TAR BALLS WASH ASHORE ON FLORIDA BEACHES; SCIENTISTS SAY MAY SPREAD UP ATLANTIC COAST

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm finding this oil spill so upsetting it's hard to monitor the news about it and post a bit of it here. :( :cry:

AND all I seem to hear from the politicians, President Obama included, is how much BP will have to "pay" to the citizens who have lost their way of life, or how BP will be "held accountable." Well, that's ok...I'm sure the citizens will welcome that information, but it seems to me that "PAY" isn't going to really fix this disaster...I'm thinking that the environment can't be fixed with "pay." I'm thinking that the wildlife lost in this disaster cannot be replaced with "pay." The fish can't be replaced with "pay." The awful impact on the oceans cannot be fixed with "pay." I don't think there's any REAL way to hold that oil company accountable, and I don't believe a word of the promises the government leaders are saying. BP will only be slapped on the wrist...and maybe given a penalty that is comparable to giving Ted Bundy a "time out" for all of his murders.

If there was a suitable penalty that could be lobbied against an oil company that is obviously as guilty of crimes against humanity as this oil company has been, then bring that penalty on, but making them "pay" isn't going to make a big difference to them. They'll just keep drilling in other waters and making the same mistakes....all of Big Oil will. The bottom line is MONEY...as it's always been, and to hell with every other thing, living or not.

And We the People are responsible, too. How many of us are back to driving our big automobiles and making a lot of unnecessary trips like we did before the big gas price increase about a year ago? Have we really changed our habits of consuming and consuming and consuming fossil fuels? What are we learning from this disaster? Not much, is my opinion.
Well, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Obama Plans Oval Office Address To The Nation On Gulf Oil Spill

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama plans an Oval Office speech Tuesday night about the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

White House adviser David Axelrod says Obama will talk about the disaster after he returns from a visit to the region on Monday and Tuesday.

Axelrod tells NBC's "Meet the Press" that the president will lay out steps that the government will take to cope with the fallout from the spill.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
Saturday, June 12, 2010
BP Official Admits to Damage BENEATH THE SEA FLOOR

Sources at two companies involved with the well said that BP also discovered new damage inside the well below the seafloor and that, as a result, some of the drilling mud that was successfully forced into the well was going off to the side into rock formations.

"We discovered things that were broken in the sub-surface," said a BP official who spoke on the condition of anonymity. He said that mud was making it "out to the side, into the formation."

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2010/06/evidence-points-to-destruction-beneath.html

I think that we have all been watching the events from this tragedy unfold with horror. Seems like I hear myself time and time again saying "My God, what have we done....what the hell are we doing?"

From what I have read, the worst case scenario would go something like this.

The entire casing fails at which point the flow of oil will increase and keep increasing, expanding the hole to a point where it will be like a volcano, spewing oil and gas rather than lava. There will be no stopping it.

This flow will continue until the pressure between the ocean and oil cavity are equalized. (How much oil will this end up being?).

At this point, now that there is no pressure build up, there will be a "weak spot" which could cause the entire sea floor (where the oil was) to suddenly drop to fill the void. This could cause a HUGE tsunami which would hit the gulf coast states in a very short amount of time.

Yes, this is a worst case scenario, but should we not plan for the worst and hope for the best. I events happen to unfold in this way, just think of the devastation, all because of greed.

We have indeed met our enemy and it is indeed us.

Dave.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The worst case scenario you're talking about is certainly spooky, CE...but another thing that is spooky is hearing an oil company executive admit before Congress that they don't know what the hell they're doing when it comes to fixing flaws in their technology. And remember the obscene profits the EXXON company was making when gas was almost $5 a gallon, not so long ago????????

EXXON CEO: "WE ARE NOT WELL-EQUIPPED TO HANDLE OIL DISASTERS

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yeah, if the results were not so tragic, it would almost be comedic to watch the three stooges like antics of these greedy, incompetent fools. Unfortunately, it is very tragic and not funny in the least.

I realize that I have a very pessimistic view when it comes to what I expect of people, and the more power they control, the more pessimistic I become. When paying attention to their actions, I always, always look at the worst case scenario.

The potential of this is about as bad as it can get.

Ideally, this should have mobilized everything at the governments disposal and the government should have taken over immediately, then forcing BP to foot the bill or if they refused, disallowed them to do any business in this country ever again.

That would be ideally. In reality however, I see this government to be just as corrupt and incompetent as the leaders of BP and for all we know, their actions would have been the same or even worse.

It seems like at every turn we are put into a situation no win.......the inmates are in control of the asylum:(

Dave.

P.S. And hi:). Nice to see you again also:)

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

"According to a new report, BP has the worst safety record of all the oil companies. They've paid over $372 million in fines. Oh, they don't call them fines. They call them 'campaign contributions.'" –Jay Leno

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I hate even linking to these guys, but this was the link given.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/oil_spill/dead-sperm-whale-found-in-gulf-06162010

Quote:
It's estimated that between 1,400 and 1,660 sperm whales live year-round in the Gulf of Mexico. According to NOAA, they spend most of their time in the upper Gulf offshore area.

They live at depth in areas where subsurface dispersants and oil are present, and feed on deepwater squid, which may also be impacted by the oil and dispersants.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gEsS5h6C_l_Ndr7VMsRzKLN9qNdgD9GCIK304

Quote:
Sea creatures flee oil spill, gather near shore

At which point they will be trapped. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:51 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

This is disturbing if it is even a remote possibility. Very.

http://www.helium.com/items/1864136-how-the-ultimate-bp-gulf-disaster-could-kill-millions

Quote:
Warnings were raised as long as a year before the Deepwater Horizon disaster that the area of seabed chosen by the BP geologists might be unstable, or worse, inherently dangerous.

Quote:
Documents from several years ago indicate that the subterranean geologic formation may contain the presence of a huge methane deposit.

None other than the engineer who helped lead the team to snuff the Gulf oil fires set by Saddam Hussein to slow the advance of American troops has stated that a huge underground lake of methane gas—compressed by a pressure of 100,000 pounds per square inch (psi)—could be released by BP's drilling effort to obtain the oil deposit.

Current engineering technology cannot contain gas that is pressurized to 100,000 psi.

Quote:

The ultimate Gulf disaster, however, would make even those historical horrors pale by comparison. If the huge methane bubble breaches the seabed, it will erupt with an explosive fury similar to that experienced during the eruption of Mt. Saint Helens in the Pacific Northwest. A gas gusher will surge upwards through miles of ancient sedimentary rock—layer after layer—past the oil reservoir. It will explode upwards propelled by 50 tons psi, burst through the cracks and fissures ofthe compromised sea floor, and rupture miles of ocean bottom with one titanic explosion.

The burgeoning methane gas cloud will surface, killing everything it touches, and set off a supersonic tsunami with the wave traveling somewhere between 400 to 600 miles per hour

So much talk about using a nuclear device. What would have been the consequences?