It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Al Gore: 'Environmental Crusader'
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:02 pm 
I know Mr. Gore--like his partner Clinton--can do no wrong in your people's eyes. However, I'm going to point out an 'inconvenient truth' about your beloved Albert: his connection to Occidental Petroleum Corporation. A Republican would be lambasted on this site for something like this, but I notice a deafening silence when it comes to Dems who are corporate whores. So, what do you all have to say for yourselves? Is ANYTHING a Dem does forgivable? Some of these articles are older (from around 2000), but you all get the idea. At the same time Greenie Gore was/is whining about 'Earth In The Balance', 'Tipping Points', and 'Incovenient Truth' he was...pocketing HUGE amounts of corporate cash from AN OIL COMPANY! And get this: it is NEVER reported by your Mainstream Media! WHY NOT? HOW could SO many reporters pass up this juicy story? Why didn't it become an issue during Al's campaigns? Why didn't you 'good guys' of the Dem Party send Al packing? How is it that Bush is bad because of his oil connections, but Gore is good, despite them? Isn't it incredibly hypocritical to say Big Oil is 'destroying' Gaia while taking Big Oil money? I'm just DYING to hear some rationalizations from you all on this one!

Gore's 1992 book Earth in the Balance (ISBN 0452269350) gave Gore a reputation for strongly pro-environmentalist views. This reputation was an asset with some constituencies, but because of it Gore was often accused of environmental hypocrisy, environmental radicalism, or both. Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh regularly lampooned his views by reading selected passages from Earth in the Balance and from the Unabomber Manifesto, inviting listeners to guess who wrote the respective quote.

Critics of Gore as an environmental hypocrite claim that Gore has shown preference for corporate interests over conservation. Gore was an ardent supporter of the Clinch River Breeder Reactor, and later of the Fast Flux Test Facility in the Hanford nuclear reservation. Gore's efforts to secure an Endangered Species Act wavier for the Tellico Dam on the Little Tennessee River were said to have paved the way for the gutting of the ESA. According to David Brower, "This was the beginning of the end of the Endangered Species Act." Environmentalists who considered Gore an environmental phony pointed to Gore's persistent support of increased logging in the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and elsewhere; Gore's support of NAFTA despite public concerns about its environmental consequences; Gore's support, as Vice-President, for the WTI hazardous waste incinerator in East Liverpool, Ohio (despite his having vowed during the 1992 campaign to oppose it); Gore's engineering of what some environmentalists called a "missiles for dead whales" deal with Norway; Gore's championing of a "pollution credits" system at the Kyoto Conference in December 1997; etc. These and other allegedly environmentally harmful actions attributed to Al Gore, as well as criticisms of Gore by various prominent environmentalists, are detailed in Chapter 13 of Al Gore: A User's Manual, by Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St. Clair. Although the Sierra Club endorsed Gore for President in July of 2000, the vote was not unanimous. There was some sentiment on the Club's Board of Directors to endorse Ralph Nader in 2000, as some believed that Gore's actual environmental record was deficient and that Gore had largely been only rhetorically pro-environment.

During the 2000 presidential campaign, Gore was accused of hypocrisy because of the behavior of corporations that had contracted to extract resources from land owned by his family. The corporations were the Occidental Petroleum Corporation and the Pasminco Zinc Mine.

Al Gore owned (indirectly through his father's estate) several thousand shares of Occidental Petroleum Corporation. Occidental Petroleum angered environmentalists by trying to open a new oil/gas drilling field in Colombia. Critics of Al Gore, including Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St. Clair in their Al Gore: A User's Manual, (2000), argued that the connection between Al Gore and Occidental Petroleum tycoon Armand Hammer was by no means "indirect," as Armand Hammer was not only a close personal friend and business partner of Senator Al Gore, Sr., but was also (until Hammer's death in 1990) a major mentor, advisor, and financial backer of the political career of Al Gore, Jr. However, Gore did not purchase the shares and did not have control over the estate with which to sell them. Defenders of Gore dismissed this as a claim of 'guilt by inheritance'.

Additionally, the Gore family licensed mining rights on their Cumberland River Valley farm to Pasminco Zinc, which was fined in 2000 for exceeding water pollution limits. Specifically, the Environmental Protection Agency found that zinc levels in the Caney Fork river near the mine were 1.480 mg/L (milligrams per L); the maximum allowed monthly average was .65 mg/L, and the daily allowed maximum was 1.30 mg/L. Therefore, Pasminco Zinc was found on one occasion to exceed the daily maximum for zinc pollution by about 14%.

Some links:

http://gnn.tv/articles/2301/Some_Inconv ... ut_Al_Gore
http://www.aim.org/media_monitor/A3099_0_2_0_C/
http://www.frontpagemagazine.com/Articl ... p?ID=21290
http://www.debatethis.org/gore/enviro/
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl? ... 07/0238233
http://www.newsmax.com/articles/?a=2000/5/11/124032
http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/6315/gore.html
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20000522/silverstein

And, I just HAD to post these quotes about 'The Green Crusader':

"We smoked Opium more times than I can count."
John Warnecke

"Al Gore and I smoked regularly as buddies. Marijuana, hash. I was his regular supplier…We smoked a lot. We smoked in his car, in his house, we smoked in his parents’ house…we smoked on weekends. We smoked a lot."
John Warnecke

"Al Gore told me not to tell the truth. He asked me not to tell the truth." John Warnecke

(More double standards: Bush is bad because he did coke, but Gore is good despite smoking junk)

KEEP ON CHECKING THE BOX NEXT TO THE "D" YOU LEMMINGS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yawn. Boring. Same shit bucky would post. As if we weren't young and foolish once.

Green? Whats wrong with the herb? Better that that drunken ex coke freak Bush. Chemical dependant nutjob.

If people want to smoke herb, why not ? It is safer than Alcohol, cigarettes or chemical/pharmaceutical dependancy.

As for his movie, you find his movie an inconvenient truth because it goes against your pathetic rightwingnutjob stance.

Typical assholes post from a typical asshole- shame.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:51 pm 
Hey DO.g's[hit], what's up? I don't think there's anything morally wrong w/smoking weed OR snorting coke. I, unlike you all, vote for candidates who think adults should be 'allowed' to pursue recreational drug use, as long as they don't infringe on others' rights. Also, I don't demonize a person for his/her behavior because they're a Rep, but excuse the same behavior in another because he/she is a Dem.

And, shitty, I notice NO comment on Greenie Gore's connection to Big Oil. No suprise there from someone who resides on the Democratic Party Plantation. What about this passage:

Critics of Gore as an environmental hypocrite claim that Gore has shown preference for corporate interests over conservation. Gore was an ardent supporter of the Clinch River Breeder Reactor, and later of the Fast Flux Test Facility in the Hanford nuclear reservation. Gore's efforts to secure an Endangered Species Act wavier for the Tellico Dam on the Little Tennessee River were said to have paved the way for the gutting of the ESA. According to David Brower, "This was the beginning of the end of the Endangered Species Act." Environmentalists who considered Gore an environmental phony pointed to Gore's persistent support of increased logging in the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and elsewhere; Gore's support of NAFTA despite public concerns about its environmental consequences ?

So, Albert is an environmentalist EXCEPT when convenient? Probably a lot like the a-holes on here who drive petrol burning cars, use copious amounts of electrical energy for recreational purposes, fly in jets that burn incredible amounts of fuel, and support the biggest waster of all: The State.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:49 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Wah wah wah the whiners back. Need a pacifier asswipe? Diaper change? Mommies calling you better start the booby sucking . MMMMMmmmm baby poo in shames diaper again.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]