It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Al 'Hypocrisy' Gore
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:55 pm 
Link http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/ed ... reen_x.htm
(is that good enough Mr.&Mrs. Petty Tyrant?):

Remarkable story on the COMPLETE and UTTER hypocrisy of Statist Al Gore, and his utilization of the global warming scare campaign for political gain. As I've said before, and will say again, Global Warming=Political Opportunism. THIS is the guy you lemmings look to for the Earth's 'salvation'?! Ridiculous! Get your heads out of your keisters (thanks Wipey#2!).

Al Gore has spoken: The world must embrace a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." To do otherwise, he says, will result in a cataclysmic catastrophe. "Humanity is sitting on a ticking time bomb," warns the website for his film, An Inconvenient Truth. "We have just 10 years to avert a major catastrophe that could send our entire planet into a tailspin."
ON DEADLINE: Your thoughts?

Graciously, Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

For someone who says the sky is falling, he does very little. He says he recycles and drives a hybrid. And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

Then there is the troubling matter of his energy use. In the Washington, D.C., area, utility companies offer wind energy as an alternative to traditional energy. In Nashville, similar programs exist. Utility customers must simply pay a few extra pennies per kilowatt hour, and they can continue living their carbon-neutral lifestyles knowing that they are supporting wind energy. Plenty of businesses and institutions have signed up. Even the Bush administration is using green energy for some federal office buildings, as are thousands of area residents.

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths.

Gore is not alone. Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean has said, "Global warming is happening, and it threatens our very existence." The DNC website applauds the fact that Gore has "tried to move people to act." Yet, astoundingly, Gore's persuasive powers have failed to convince his own party: The DNC has not signed up to pay an additional two pennies a kilowatt hour to go green. For that matter, neither has the Republican National Committee.

Maybe our very existence isn't threatened.

Gore has held these apocalyptic views about the environment for some time. So why, then, didn't Gore dump his family's large stock holdings in Occidental (Oxy) Petroleum? As executor of his family's trust, over the years Gore has controlled hundreds of thousands of dollars in Oxy stock. Oxy has been mired in controversy over oil drilling in ecologically sensitive areas.

Living carbon-neutral apparently doesn't mean living oil-stock free. Nor does it necessarily mean giving up a mining royalty either.

Humanity might be "sitting on a ticking time bomb," but Gore's home in Carthage is sitting on a zinc mine. Gore receives $20,000 a year in royalties from Pasminco Zinc, which operates a zinc concession on his property. Tennessee has cited the company for adding large quantities of barium, iron and zinc to the nearby Caney Fork River.

The issue here is not simply Gore's hypocrisy; it's a question of credibility. If he genuinely believes the apocalyptic vision he has put forth and calls for radical changes in the way other people live, why hasn't he made any radical change in his life? Giving up the zinc mine or one of his homes is not asking much, given that he wants the rest of us to radically change our lives.

Peter Schweizer is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution and author of Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:17 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
Remarkable story on the COMPLETE and UTTER hypocrisy of Statist Al Gore, and his utilization of the global warming scare campaign for political gain.

Funny how you look at this as political gain but YOUR administration uses fear as gain and you dont see it that way. Just watch your Newt and Faux News and burry your head in the sand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:21 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Talk about Hypocrisy.....Why haven't you taken the red pill? You are breathing GOOD oxygen a REAL human being could use.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

shaney lives on those red pills, sadie. He eats them like candy. He ignores the constipation they cause and the damage they've done to his conscience and to his ability to think rationally. But at least he did link his story. That's an improvement, you've got to admit! His source isn't exactly unbiased but who knows how long he searched around to find it?

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:35 pm 
I'm not a Republican(though I admit, I would vote for a few of the 'Libertarian'-leaning ones). And, YES, I do agree that this admin has/does use fear to manipulate the populace; unlike YOU, however, I recognize that the same tactic is used by Dems, as well.

I will ask you all a few direct questions:

1. How is it that Al Gore preaches 'conservation' and 'sacrifice', along w/portraying energy/industrial corps. as 'evil', yet he himself maintains a ridiculously lavish lifestyle as well as ownership in those same, 'evil' corps?

2. Is Al Gore's behavior not the DEFINITION of hypocrisy?

3. If Gore REALLY believes the BS he's peddling to the world, WHY hasn't he made an effort to lead by example?

4. Instead of flying around in a private jet, burning copious amounts of evil fossil fuel, why can't Gore just teleconference or webconference?

"They are both candidates of corporate America. They're paid for."--Gore Vidal (Sept. 20, 2000,Salon interview) commenting on GW Bush and Al Gore.

"They [Corporate America] own the Congress, they own the president, they own the single party with two right wings, Republican and Democrat." ."--Gore Vidal (Aug. 15, 2000,Salon interview)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:02 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Looks like the so-called "liberal biased " corporate owned news media was doing a smear campaign against Al Gore.

After USA Today Issues Correction, Fox Host Repeats Smears Against Gore

Earlier this month, Peter Schweizer published a hit piece on Al Gore’s environmental habits. (Schweizer works at the Hoover Institute which has received nearly $300,000 from Exxon Mobile since 1998.) It was an obvious attempt to discredit Gore’s efforts to combat the threat of global warming.

The problem was the piece was inaccurate and USA today was forced to print a correction. That didn’t stop Rich Lowry, filling in for Sean Hannity, to repeat Schweizer’s false claims on Fox after the correction was printed. Lowry also took the liberty to add some new smears. Watch it:

Here are the facts:

1. Gore does not receive royalties from a zinc mine. From the USA today correction: “In a column that appeared Aug. 10 on the Forum Page, writer Peter Schweizer inaccurately stated that former vice president Al Gore receives royalties from a zinc mine on his property in Tennessee despite his environmental advocacy…the mine was closed in 2003.”

2. Gore has never owned any Occidental Petroleum stock. His father worked for the company for several years and his parents used to own some stock. All of it was sold years ago.

3. Gore pays for his own carbon off-sets. Parmount is also purchasing off-sets above and beyond what Gore is doing individually.

The critics have no answers for Gore’s scientific arguments so they’ve decided to smear him personally. Desmog blog has more.

http://thinkprogress.org/page/3/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:15 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

well...there it is: proof positive that global warming doesn't exist!!!

fuckin right wingers...they can't argue their side based on any facts or logic, or even truth for that matter, so they resort to slander , distortion, deception and lies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:11 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

yep... they sure do, mga... and their libertarian lapdogs do too...

but that's typical for chickenhawkscum... all talk no walk...

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

shoeless wrote:
Looks like the so-called "liberal biased " corporate owned news media was doing a smear campaign against Al Gore.

After USA Today Issues Correction, Fox Host Repeats Smears Against Gore

Earlier this month, Peter Schweizer published a hit piece on Al Gore’s environmental habits. (Schweizer works at the Hoover Institute which has received nearly $300,000 from Exxon Mobile since 1998.) It was an obvious attempt to discredit Gore’s efforts to combat the threat of global warming.

The problem was the piece was inaccurate and USA today was forced to print a correction. That didn’t stop Rich Lowry, filling in for Sean Hannity, to repeat Schweizer’s false claims on Fox after the correction was printed. Lowry also took the liberty to add some new smears. Watch it:

Here are the facts:

1. Gore does not receive royalties from a zinc mine. From the USA today correction: “In a column that appeared Aug. 10 on the Forum Page, writer Peter Schweizer inaccurately stated that former vice president Al Gore receives royalties from a zinc mine on his property in Tennessee despite his environmental advocacy…the mine was closed in 2003.”

2. Gore has never owned any Occidental Petroleum stock. His father worked for the company for several years and his parents used to own some stock. All of it was sold years ago.

3. Gore pays for his own carbon off-sets. Parmount is also purchasing off-sets above and beyond what Gore is doing individually.

The critics have no answers for Gore’s scientific arguments so they’ve decided to smear him personally. Desmog blog has more.

http://thinkprogress.org/page/3/

Good one, shoeless... thanks for the clarification...

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Remarkable story on the COMPLETE and UTTER hypocrisy of Statist Al Gore, and his utilization of the global warming scare campaign for political gain. As I've said before, and will say again, Global Warming=Political Opportunism. THIS is the guy you lemmings look to for the Earth's 'salvation'?! Ridiculous! Get your heads out of your keisters.

Shane7 very gleefully copied and pasted the above report by one Peter Schweizer against Al Gore.

I thought it should sit here and simmer a bit, stew and sputter, maybe get a bit scorched, so it'd start to throw off that ripe stench that shaney takes such delight in trying to spread around this website.

However, shaney forgets that for every point, there is usually a counterpoint. He forgets that there are so many sources from which to gather information because he doesn't consider the source. Just as long as that source agrees with his viewpoint, he eats it up and smacks his lips, muttering "Yum-Yum!" The funny thing is... he's eating rightwing shit and he doesn't even know it.

I did a bit of checking around. I think the information below will show that shaney's friend Peter Schweizer has indeed taken the red pill and laughs all the way to the bank at people like shane:

Peter Schweitzer, Al Gore, and hypocrisy

by David Roberts

About a week ago, USA Today published a piece by Peter Schweitzer, who's a research fellow at the Hoover Institution. It accused Al Gore of hypocrisy, for asking viewers of An Inconvenient Truth to scale back their lifestyles and carbon emissions while ... well, there were a number of charges. According to Schweitzer, Gore owns three homes and stock in Occidental Petroleum, still receives royalties from a zinc mine on his property, does not participate in the green-power option his utility offers in Nashville, and lets Paramount pay for his carbon offsets.

As per standard practice, the conservative media machine spread the charges far and wide -- most recently they popped up on Glenn Beck's show on CNN and, bizarrely, in a recurring poll on AOL's homepage.

Gore's communications director, Kalee Kreider, sent a letter to the editor to respond to the piece, but we all know only a fraction of the folks who read the original piece will read the letter. http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/20 ... ters_x.htm

First things first: I talked to some of Gore's people today, including Kreider, about the specific charges. Suffice to say, they're false.

Gore receives no royalties from the mine, which shut down in 2003. (USA Today actually printed a correction about this, way down on page 10A.) http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/ne ... 17.art.htm

Gore owns no stock in Occidental, and never has (his father did; it was all sold over six years ago). Gore does in fact take advantage of the green power options his utility offers, and was in the process of adding photovoltaic solar cells to his house when the article came out. He pays for his own personal carbon offsets, in addition to the institutional offsets purchased by Paramount (movie distributor) and Rodale (book publisher), which make both the book and the movie completely carbon neutral.

All that picayune nonsense aside, some might consider it more relevant that Gore has devoted his life to this problem, traveling around for years giving thousands of slideshows, co-founding an investment firm http://www.generationim.com/
devoted to supporting green companies, making his book, movie, and new TV channel carbon neutral (Current http://www.current.tv/will be carbon neutral by the end of the year), donating all the profits from the movie and book to the global-warming fight, and almost single-handedly raising the profile of the issue higher than it's ever been.

Also, if we're talking about hypocrisy, perhaps we should mention that Schweitzer's Hoover Institution -- home to professional climate cranks (and former tobacco cranks) like Fred Singer http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... red_Singer and Thomas Gale Moore http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... le_Moore-- is funded by the far-right Scaife Foundation http://www.mediatransparency.org/recipi ... ientID=157 along with, you guessed it, Exxon. http://www.exxonsecrets.org/html/orgfactsheet.php?id=43

Schweitzer is paid to launch baseless attacks on Al Gore; Al Gore donates the profits from his advocacy work to the issue he cares about. Who's being more honest with the public?

In the end, though, none of this matters. This kind of ad hominem back and forth is exactly what Gore's well-paid conservative attackers want. They want to drag the debate down to this level. It muddies the waters and causes the public to tune out.

The fact is, Al Gore is not perfect, environmentally or any other way. He does not claim otherwise.

Nobody is perfect on climate issues. Why?

Because our political and cultural system makes it extraordinarily difficult.

That's the issue: changing the system to make it easier to act in environmentally benign ways, and harder not to. That means pushing our leaders -- from the neighborhood level all the way up to the federal level -- to change public policy. It means pushing them to partner with business leaders to make eco-friendly products, power, homes, and transportation options more easily and readily available. It means pushing them to take a stand, to marshal the American people behind the grand historical quest to put our society on a sustainable path. It means pushing them to lead.

As I've argued again and again and again and again and again and again, the lifestyle choices of any given individual are beside the point.

Those who try and fail to be righteous are better than those who are unapologetically wicked. Those who speak the truth and fail to fully live by it are better than those who speak lies. Those who advocate societal changes and fail to make individual changes are better than those who do the reverse, and better twice over than those who seek no change at all

We need to change our laws, regulations, tax codes, and business practices. We need to change our minds about what is and isn't acceptable in a 21st century society.

If Al Gore can help that process along, that will mean a hell of a lot more than all the carbon offsets and utility bills in the world.

LINK

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:51 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
1. How is it that Al Gore preaches 'conservation' and 'sacrifice', along w/portraying energy/industrial corps. as 'evil', yet he himself maintains a ridiculously lavish lifestyle as well as ownership in those same, 'evil' corps?

I guess he'll walk everywhere. The object is to create awareness. If you drive a car that gets 40 MPG it produces less pollutants than a SUV that burns more faster at 16 MPG.

Quote:
2. Is Al Gore's behavior not the DEFINITION of hypocrisy?

Yes it is. Show me one person who isnt a form of hypocrisy and Ill show you god.

Quote:
3. If Gore REALLY believes the BS he's peddling to the world, WHY hasn't he made an effort to lead by example?

Same question as 1.

Quote:
4. Instead of flying around in a private jet, burning copious amounts of evil fossil fuel, why can't Gore just teleconference or webconference?

He has several times. People want to hear him speak. Do not criticize him until you've seen the movie. You sit and site all the rightwing talking points. Thats it. To every action there is a reaction. There will always be rebuttal to every argument. Its quite common sense. Trees clean air, they take in the bad and release the good. What happens when you have more and more cars, airplanes, and trains running and in the same process you cut down all the trees. Its quite elementary. Co2 is not all bad but too much is bad. You cant have too much good clean air and get hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:48 pm 
WHO will be the first to step up and surrender his/her car? How about curtailing your electricity use? Move into a smaller dwelling? Get rid of your pets? Any takers? No? Oh, I see, you'll advocate for someone ELSE to sacrifice, so you'll get to keep yours. Our society would've been progressing past using carbon-based energy, IF 'environmentalists' hadn't been instrumental in curtailing nuclear power. And, why would I support Al Gore's propaganda? He's a lying politician who'll do anything to grab for power.