It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's not too late to educate yourself!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:15 pm 
Excerpts from:
http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php? ... icle/1675/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore presents himself as prophet rather than politician. The former American vice-president uses the documentary to preach what he believes is the only legitimate view on climate change. He implies that anyone who deviates from The Truth According to Gore is – literally – corrupt, insane or possibly hates their children.

Yet the apparent scientific consensus behind Gore’s approach is based on a sneaky statistical sleight of hand. Although scientists generally agree that the Earth is warming, and humans have had an influence, there is a lot more to climate science than this insight.

But even if climate change is a serious threat to humanity, it does not follow that Gore’s approach is the only possible solution, let alone the best. On the negative side, curbing carbon emissions, sometimes referred to as mitigation, has substantial disadvantages. Since fossil fuels are still by far the cheapest and most widely available form of energy, cutting back on emissions is likely to have severe economic consequences.

Gore caricatures such concerns in An Inconvenient Truth as a love of money. He shows a picture of gold bars and says there should be no choice between them and ‘the entire planet’. Members of the privileged elite such as Gore often seem to find it easy to decry affluence – he is the son of a senator, attended an elite private school and went on to Harvard. But for literally billions of people, economic growth is essential if they are to achieve a decent standard of living.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stop being led around by the nose by TvNews, y'all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:23 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

ok...lemme try this out..

the world is perfect, there is no global warming

umm....no...it didn't work. nice try tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:00 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Ok Shane, once again I am going to ask you a question. For the sake of respecting the differences in the opposing views of global warming, I would as you to leave any responses of global warming out of the equation.

Is it your view that mankind's disregard for the environment cannot adversely affect nature?

Have we not learned from the past that mankind's disregard for nature can in fact adversely affect it? It was not so long ago that I remember streams and lakes in the United States being so polluted that everything was dying in them. It was not so long ago that I remember entire city's being covered in smog that was the result of mankind's disregard for the environment.

I could go on, but I will not. I would ask you this. Do you not recognize these things, or not remember them? Do you not realize that it is because of environmental laws that many, (not all) of these practices have been removed, allowing nature to replenish itself, allowing it to cleans the impurities that mankind infected it with?

No. Man cannot destroy nature, but if we are not careful nature can destroy man. In the end though nature will cleans itself, and nature will go on without the damaging effects that mankind inflicts upon it.

Please tell me. What is it that you find so wrong with protecting the environment in which we live? We have proven that we can affect nature. How much seems to be what is in question. How much can we soil nature before nature is unable to sustain us? Do you really want to find out?

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Like he said, it's not too late for shame to start educating himself. He could start by rethinking all the garbage he has swallowed and trying to piece together the lonely bigoted emptiness of his own life and how he can develop a conscience beyond his greed.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:03 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Like I've said before, shane and the rest of his methane breathing republican brethren won't admit the obvious until it bites THEM on the butt and they have to pull their head out to bandage their wounds...

Global Warming is happening... It doesn't matter IF it's cyclic or manmade... It's happening... the LAST time it happened, our world was not as technologically advanced nor nearly as populated...

we better start thinking about dealing with the problem BEFORE it's too late...

Got dinosaurs anymore?

:roll:

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:34 pm 
Awwww YEAH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:02 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

TheStripey1 wrote:
Like I've said before, shane and the rest of his methane breathing republican brethren won't admit the obvious until it bites THEM on the butt and they have to pull their head out to bandage their wounds...

Global Warming is happening... It doesn't matter IF it's cyclic or manmade... It's happening... the LAST time it happened, our world was not as technologically advanced nor nearly as populated...

we better start thinking about dealing with the problem BEFORE it's too late...

Got dinosaurs anymore?

:roll:

this post worked then... and it still works now... Global Warming IS happening... and denying it isn't going to stop it from happening...

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates