It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please read--Pirates Stick By Whales
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:44 pm 

As the Japanese whaling fleet combs the Southern Ocean, harvesting its self-imposed quota of 935 minke whales, 50 humpback whales and 10 finned whales, members of the Sea Shepherd Society are hunting the whalers, intent on intercepting the Japanese fleet and placing their own bodies between the harpoons and the victims, the sentient cetaceans.

~~~snip~~~

Watson's response: "It amazes me that these outlaw whalers who are slaughtering endangered whales in a whale sanctuary have the audacity to call us pirates and to accuse us of violence when we have never caused an injury to any person, yet they spill thousands of gallons of whale blood into the frigid waters of the Southern Oceans each year."

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/012807B.shtml

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whales saved by fire on Japanese vessel

Hundreds will be spared after the fleet's only factory ship is crippled in Antarctic

By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor
18 February 2007

Japan's controversial whaling operation in the Antarctic is facing collapse this weekend as its most important vessel wallows helplessly off the coast of the icy continent.

The country admitted yesterday that this year's hunt - due to kill 945 whales by mid-March - will probably have to be abandoned as a result of a fire that has crippled its fleet's mother ship, the Nisshin Maru, and raised fears of an oil spill into the area's pristine waters.

Environmentalists hope that the 8,000-tonne ship, the only one capable of processing harpooned whales, will have to be scrapped following what is its second serious fire in less than a decade. If so, they hope it will not be replaced, spelling an end to an annual hunt which has caused protests for a quarter of a century.

With neat irony, the crisis began as Japan was hosting a meeting of pro-whaling members of the International Whaling Commission to work out a strategy for legalising a full return to the slaughter. Commercial whaling was banned after the Commission agreed a moratorium in 1982, but Japan continued under the guise of scientific research.

The fire broke out on Thursday on the vessel's second deck, close to where the whales are processed, and has raged for days, partly fuelled by whale oil from the slaughtered mammals. One crew member was killed and most of the 148 others abandoned ship.

I'm not sorry the whaling ship has been disabled, but I do hope something is done quickly to protect the penguin breeding grounds from the oil spill.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:46 am 

Quote:
has raged for days, partly fuelled by whale oil from the slaughtered mammals

They say whales are very smart mammals. Aparently they also go for sacrifice.

Not something to kid about, but I too am glad the ship is gone. I do hope they will not replace it. And I too am worried about the penguin breeding grounds.

Do we have any room on this earth for creatures other than humans?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid