It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How the Rich Are Destroying the Planet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:12 am 

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/031507E.shtml

The comfort in which Western societies are immersed must not conceal from us the gravity of the moment. We are entering a time of durable crisis and possible catastrophe. Signs of the ecological crisis are clearly visible and the hypothesis of a catastrophe is becoming realistic.

Yet, in reality, people pay little attention to these signs. They influence neither politics nor the economy. The system does not know how to change trajectory. Why?

Because we don't succeed in relating ecology and society.

However, we cannot understand the concomitance of the ecological and social crises if we don't analyze them as the two sides of the same disaster. And that disaster derives from a system piloted by a dominant social stratum that today has no drive other than greed, no ideal other than conservatism, no dream other than technology.

Very long, but interesting. The social issues and our environment are entwined. It takes the right person to phrase it so people will pay attention. Is this the person?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:41 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Dori, you're such a wonder at finding these sites. Nature is your field! :wink:

This is a wonderful article and since I read french, I should send away for this book. I like his reference to his fellow countryman De Tocqueville who wrote his scathing denunciation of American democracy, a wonderful tongue in cheek rendition of a black-ops plan for the eventual ruling republic. I mean all that virgin territory and its resources had to end in such a situation.

Comment les riches detruisent la planète- by Herve Kempf
How the Rich Are Destroying the Planet- by Herve Kempf

Here's the article from Le Devoir, a Quebec newspaper, translated for the "United for Peace of Pierce County- Washington

http://www.ufppc.org/content/view/5548/
THE RICH ON TRIAL
By Louis-Gilles Francoeur
** Is capitalism the cause of ecological and social crises? **
Le Devoir (Québec)
January 7, 2007
http://www.ledevoir.com/2007/01/06/126618.html#

Some quotes from the article. It's not that long so go read it- it's well worth it!

Quote:
Hervé Kempf denies he is trying to turn the global ecological discussion from green to red.

"I'm not a Marxist," he says, "and I never have been one, because that ideology does not respect human rights. But Marxists do not have a monopoly on social discussion, and you can't just close your eyes to phenomena that are documented, calculated, right before your eyes. I see that there are two crises, one ecological, the other social. And I see that they are acting in synergy. And I see that a minority is benefiting from them. And I draw conclusions."

"We must," he writes, "get out of this hiatus. We need to understand that the ecological crisis and the social crisis are two facets of the same disaster. And that this disaster is being created by a system of power that no longer has any end except the maintenance of the ruling class's privileges."

If he does not address in his book the impact on the planet's decline of run-away demographics on "biological services," Hervé Kempf acknowledges at once that this factor has certainly had an impact that is globally larger than all the hyperconsumption of the oligarchy, made up of a few hundred thousand millionaires and billionaires who control the main part of the revenues and financial resources. But, he explains, it's this oligarchy that is creating a model that is unsustainable for the planet, one whose indirect impact on other social groups goes far beyond its direct consumption. "And," he says without smiling, "all humans do not have the same impact on the planet at their birth: a Westerner weighs much more on the fate of the planet than a baby in Niger or India."

It's to put an end to this race for ostentatious consumption that he recommends radical controls on wealth by means of a "maximum ceiling for salaries and the accumulation of the world's wealth," a sort of accompaniment to a minimum salary, but from the top down.

How many times have I said these things as well, about the 1% solution! Eat the rich- it's the only thing they're good for!

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:32 am 

I am going to have to come back and read that article. Nature is my love! As you have said, it is my god!!!

I had a long reply to your post--the power went out (not unusual) and it was gone. So much for backup batteries to save material, eh?

I will just say, thank you for the information and the compliment.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid