It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Family recalls fallen soldier was against Bush, Iraq war
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Family recalls fallen soldier was against Bush, Iraq war

While this young man enlisted with his eyes wide open, I wish the outcome of that enlistment had been different. It's so sad to see these young lives snuffed out...for NOTHING but Bush's ego and Cheney's profit.

I often wonder why so many who are looking for college help join the Army, knowing full well they will probably end up in Iraq or Afghanistan. The Coast Guard offers just about the same benefits but it's doubtful if a Coastie will be sent "over there." :?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Family recalls fallen soldier was against Bush, Iraq war
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:41 am 

Catherine wrote:
I often wonder why so many who are looking for college help join the Army, knowing full well they will probably end up in Iraq or Afghanistan. The Coast Guard offers just about the same benefits but it's doubtful if a Coastie will be sent "over there." :?

The sad and awful reality is the GI Bill benefits of our fathers and brothers just doesn't exist anymore. Many of those "thousands for education" never materialize since they are in the form of matching funds to what little a GI can save. The inducement is to go into the war zones where one can collect combat pay. Many troops have to pay for their own battle gear and even food. Transportation to and from points of departure and home are also now on the troops' dime. Troops are even more underpaid than teachers, and have an even less effective political voice. There just isn't a whole lot of discretionary money left over for savings. Many combat deaths are not recorded because the military has "separated" the grunt from the service while he is in a hospital before his death; allowing the military to ignore these causalities when it comes body count time and death benefit time.

The Coast Guard, once part of the Treasury Department, is now part of the Navy. The Navy uses them to fill slots that normal recruiting doesn't get accomplished. This current group of overseers just views the enlisted as cannon fodder that don't deserve to aspire to anything more.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am 

Quote:
Troops are even more underpaid than teachers, and have an even less effective political voice.

Bush/Cheney are even doing their best to take away their right to vote.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid