It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bush Continues Assault on Veterans
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:39 pm 

Hi,a url to article vital to the military,our veterans,and those who care.

http://www.interventionmag.com/cms/modu ... le&sid=803

carly101

Post subject: John Kerry's service in Vietnam war
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:32 am 
Involved
Involved

:arrow: As he was about to graduate from Yale, John Kerry volunteered to serve in Vietnam - because, as he later said, "it was the right thing to do." He believed that because he had had a lot of privileges in life - for example, attending a great university like Yale - he had a responsibility to give something back to his country. His two great heroes - his father and John F. Kennedy - had served during World War II. John Kerry wanted to follow both their example and that of some of his best friends, who also went to Vietnam.

John Kerry enlisted in the Navy in 1966. After completing Naval Officer Candidates School, he began his first tour of duty on the USS Gridley, a guided-missile frigate in the waters adjacent to Vietnam. In 1968, John Kerry began his second tour of duty, and volunteered to serve on a Swift Boat, one of the most dangerous assignments of the war. Swift Boats patrolled the narrow inlets and canals around the Mekong Delta "to draw fire and smoke out the enemy," according to the The Boston Globe.

To the men who served with him, John Kerry was "one of the most daring skippers in the US Navy, relentlessly and courageously engaging the enemy," according to The Boston Globe. William Zaladonis, who served under Kerry on a Swift Boat, said that he was more interested than some other commanding officers in his crewmates' lives, hopes, and dreams. John Kerry put his crewmates at ease, telling them to "call me John - you don't have to call me sir." When "we were out on patrol," Zaladonis recalls, "we were a family."

Lt. John Kerry's leadership, courage, and sacrifice earned him a Silver Star, the Navy's fifth highest medal, a Bronze Star with Combat V, and three Purple Hearts, awarded for wounds received in combat. John Kerry was awarded a Bronze Star for rescuing a Green Beret, who had gone overboard during a mission. According to his Bronze Star citation, "Lt. Kerry directed his gunners to provide suppressing fire, while from an exposed position on the bow, his arm bleeding and in pain, with disregard for his personal safety, he pulled the man aboard. Lt. Kerry's calmness, professionalism, and great personal courage under fire were in keeping with the highest traditions of the US Naval Service."

John Kerry left Vietnam in 1969. But to this day, he carries with him the lessons he learned while he was there. On that Swift Boat, there were people who came from places as diverse as South Carolina, Iowa, and Arkansas. They were literally all in the same boat and they came together as one. No one asked the others' politics. No one asked where the others came from or who their fathers were or where they went to school. They were simply a band of brothers who all fought under the same flag and all prayed to the same God. And that is the America John Kerry wants today - an America where we all come together to build a better country. :!: 8) :)

Quote:

"I think John Kerry's military service in Vietnam was admirable" ~ G W Bush

Quote:

"I think that Senator Kerry should be proud of his record," "No, I don't think he lied" ~ G W Bush :roll: :P :lol:

Now, Bush is finally telling the truth!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
"I think that Senator Kerry should be proud of his record," "No, I don't think he lied" ~ G W Bush

ROFLMAO!

Then how come the Swift Boat Vets for Lies haven't gotten upset with their sponsor? Seems to me that if Bush is disagreeing with them, he'll have to go on their bad list, too... right, scootiedude? :wink:

What I can't understand is why the American people aren't taking these vets to task about their own stupidity...are we sure they aren't escapees from some mental institution for the insane? Are we sure Bush wasn't in the same institution when he was supposedly AWOL? It's never been satisfactorily determined where he was when he was supposed to be in Alabama while John Kerry was a volunteer in Vietnam.

I live in the South, and I know there are plenty of mental institutions in that part of the country. :P

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:24 pm 
Involved
Involved

Kerry's first tour of duty was known as a Westpac cruise. the ship spent very little time "near" Viet Nam. Initially, I actually liked Kerry, but too many contradictory things kept popping up. One thing that really bothers me is the fact that he won't release all his records. A Theory I've heard is that he received a less than honorable discharge and Carter upgraded it a couple of years later. The date on his discharge is a couple of years later than the normal tour of duty would require. Just show me the papers please. End it.

ollie