It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marine officers disciplined over Haditha killings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:56 am 

I put this in military because, while this happened in Iraq, the failure of justice is a military problem, IMO.

Notice the title doesn't say "jailed" or "severely punished", just disciplined...

Quote:
hree senior U.S. Marine Corps officers have been sanctioned in connection with the killings of 24 civilians in Haditha, Iraq, but it was determined they didn't commit any crimes, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

"While these three officers have served their country and Corps exceedingly well for decades, their actions, inactions and decisions in the aftermath of the Haditha incident did not meet the high standards we expect of Marine senior officer leadership," Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, said in a written statement.

Maj. Gen. Richard A. Huck, former commanding general of the 2nd Marine Division; Col. Stephen W. Davis, former commanding officer of Regimental Combat Team 2, 2nd Marine Division; and Col. Robert G. Sokoloski, former chief of staff of 2nd Marine Division (Forward) all received letters of censure from the secretary of the Navy.
The letters of censure are expected to end the military careers of the three officers. When they file for retirement, their request will be reviewed by Winter, who will determine if they will retire at their current ranks or at the last rank at which they served satisfactorily, Marine officials said.

Huck is currently the deputy assistant commandant for plans, policy and operations at Marine Corps Headquarters in Arlington, Virginia. Davis is now the chief of staff for the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, and Sokolowski is the staff judge advocate general for the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune.

Boy, they sure are being punished for killing 24 people.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/05/ha ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, you know the Commander-in-Chief's philosophy...the punishment of getting caught is enough.

Although I have no sympathy for these marines, I do believe that far to many members of our military are under farrrrrr tooooo much pressure, and we are going to hear about more of this kind of thing happening. Not that pressure caused this particular atrocity....but there's only so much a human being can tolerate...and long, extended deployments in god-awful places like Iraq contribute to soldiers cracking.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:31 pm 

I agree with you one hundred percent. Its deplorable the things that we put our citizens through in the name of democracy and I do have a certain level of compassion for the troops (my sis and bro in law are military), but I also do not excuse horrible crimes because of stress. We should not be in Iraq, that would certain stop a lot of problems for the military and our country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:11 pm 
lefty wrote:
I do have a certain level of compassion for the troops . . . but I also do not excuse horrible crimes because of stress.

Got a question (or two or three) . . .

How do we mandate perfect behavior among soldiers when we can't even maintain this forum without a certain degree of caged violence?

Doesn't the wound revealed through the Haditha massacre run a little deeper than what the salve of a prison sentence can fix?

Should we lethally inject every soldier who goes nuts when it's our collective indifference that put them there in the first place?