It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tony Blair goes catholic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Just a little something to cause you to snort your drink out your nose.

Tony Blair converts to Catholicism

Quote:
By Kerry Grove
Last Updated: 1:35am GMT 26/12/2007

Tony Blair has completed his long anticipated conversion to Catholicism.
# Catherine Pepinster: Rejoice at Blair's conversion
# Damian Thompson: Blair the Catholic: what on earth happened?
# Christopher Howse: Catholics welcome Tony Blair

The former prime minister was received into the Catholic Church by the Archbishop of Westminster, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, in the chapel of the Archbishop's House in Westminster last night, after years of speculation that he would convert after leaving Downing Street.

Mr Blair, whose wife Cherie and four children are Catholic, met Pope Benedict XVI on an official visit in June - his third trip to the Vatican in four years.

Now a Middle-East peace envoy, he was reluctant to convert while in office because it could have caused a potential conflict with his role in choosing Church of England bishops.

His views on abortion, gay rights and stem cell research were also at odds with Catholic teaching, and his parish priest Fr Timothy Russ commented that he had “some way to go” on important moral issues.

Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor has welcomed Mr Blair into the faith. He said: “For a long time he has been a regular worshipper at Mass with his family and in recent months he has been following a programme of formation to prepare for his reception into full communion."

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:38 pm 

Quote:
His views on abortion, gay rights and stem cell research were also at odds with Catholic teaching, and his parish priest Fr Timothy Russ commented that he had “some way to go” on important moral issues.

In my mind, these are not THE important moral issues. Guess I would never make it as a Catholic, eh?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:47 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Don't want to sound simplistic, but I understand there's a catholic teaching about "just wars". And the Iraq invasion was certainly not that.

So, Tony B gets religion after he exits the PM position. Shameless. The pope ought to knock Blair over the head with that papal septor.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:51 am 

Channel Zero wrote:
Don't want to sound simplistic, but I understand there's a catholic teaching about "just wars". And the Iraq invasion was certainly not that.

So, Tony B gets religion after he exits the PM position. Shameless. The pope ought to knock Blair over the head with that papal septor.

This pope was the number two man in 2004 who as much as endorsed Bush over Kerry because Kerry didn't toe the official Catholic line. He went so far as to tell bishops in the U.S. to refuse Kerry Communion for his pro-choice stands. Don't expect this guy to detract from Tony or George anytime soon.

The Catholics lost me when I couldn't attend services without being actively recruited for nut case causes like Operation Rescue. They seemed more concerned about getting more poor people to manipulate than taking care of the ones already here. This skewed non-biblical belief that a fertilized egg was more valuable than a full-grown human just seemed beyond my comprehension. I also believe it to be sinful since these guys aren't using one of God's greatest gifts—intellect.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:50 am 

Quote:
I also believe it to be sinful since these guys aren't using one of God's greatest gifts—intellect.

They use intellect, but they use it to further themselves, not to end human suffering or aid poor people. I am so used to having people say they are 'Christian', but totally ignore the teachings of Christ. For some reason, the only parts of the Bible they do not believe are handed down by god are the teachings of Jesus.

As for this Pope, he single handedly cleaned out all the liberal Bishops (or whatever the people on the next tier down are). He wanted the position of Pope and manipulated the church hierarchy so he would get it. It took him years, but he got his way.

George Bush with a robe.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid