It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guardian angels
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:26 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Poll shows that a majority of Americans still willing to believe in nonsense.

Guardian Angels Are Here, Say Most Americans

Quote:
By David Van Biema Thursday, Sep. 18, 2008

More than half of all Americans believe they have been helped by a guardian angel in the course of their lives, according to a new poll by the Baylor University Institute for Studies of Religion. In a poll of 1700 respondents, 55% answered affirmatively to the statement, "I was protected from harm by a guardian angel." The responses defied standard class and denominational assumptions about religious belief; the majority held up regardless of denomination, region or education — though the figure was a little lower (37%) among respondents earning more than $150,000 a year.

The guardian angel encounter figures were "the big shocker" in the report, says Christopher Bader, director of the Baylor survey that covered a range of religious issues, parts of which are being released Thursday in a book titled What Americans Really Believe. In the case of angels, however, the question is a little stronger than just belief. Says Bader, "If you ask whether people believe in guardian angels, a lot of people will say, 'sure.' But this is different. It's experiential. It means that lots of Americans are having these lived supernatural experiences."

Sociologists may need further research to determine how broadly the data should be interpreted. The Baylor study tested other statements that might indicate a similar belief in the supernatural intruding into everyday personal experience — "I heard the voice of God speaking to me"; and "I received a miraculous physical healing." But far fewer people claimed to have had those experiences. This raises the possibility that guardian angels, which famously support an industry of sentimental accessories, are just so darned attractive that they exist in a charmed belief niche of their own.

Guardian angels are too inconsistent to be useful for the vast majority of people that could have used them.

If you are watching over me, I release you to watch over any number of the millions of people afflicted with some terminal disease or affected by war.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:32 am 

My favorite is when someone survives a terrible experience where many others didn't and claims a supernatural power is responsible for saving them.

So God loves you but not the other x number who weren't so lucky?

And we are expected to reason with people, so many of whom think like this?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I find it difficult sometimes to forget what I learned in childhood regarding "guardian angels." Guardian angels were among us all the time, according to my Sunday School teachers and when we were "kind" to strangers or to someone in need, we might be helping an "angel."

I really like this article: Atheists in Foxholes: No Miracles Required

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:25 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Oh, yeah, god and the guardian angels.

The angel saves the one person, but for the rest, "god had a plan". 8)

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.