It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to put Christ back into Christmas?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:09 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Certainly not by jumping up and down, like a loon name OReilly. Or dressing up in Jesus suits.

Christ is about good deeds. The following LA Times hints at that.

Words of Christmas past -- Faith, hope and sacrificial love for one another have echoed in seasonal editorials throughout the decades.
Quote:
December 25, 2008

Christmas arrives this year at a joyless time for many Californians. The state's unemployment rate is the highest it’s been in 14 years. Families continue to lose their homes at an alarming rate, with defaults rising again despite government efforts to slow the pace. And steep losses in the stock market have diminished the 401(k) plans of many older residents, delaying their retirements or forcing them to make do with much less.

A glimpse at editorials from Christmases past, however, reminds us that we've been through worse times -- the Great Depression, the buildup to World War II, the protracted stagflation of the 1970s. We're a resilient people, thanks in no small measure to the same qualities that Christians celebrate today: faith, hope and sacrificial love for one another. We look for those qualities again to bring light and promise to all.

It's not just about putting Christ back into Christmas, but start with Thanksgiving, if you can't do so all year around.

It's about donating food, clothing, money. It's about volunteering. It's about contributing ideas to help us out of our various societal messes.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject: Re: How to put Christ back into Christmas?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:55 pm 

It is really about putting the spirit of Jesus back into the practice of Christianity and our everyday lives. The term "Christ" literally means "Anointed One." It is Jesus the Christ, too often shortened to Jesus Christ like a surname. Jesus was the radical bleeding heart liberal of his time. These so-called fundamentalist cherry pick passages from the Bible (usually the Old Testament) to justify their un-Jesus like behaviors and prejudices. While claiming the moral high ground, they're in reality snakes in the grass or flotsam in the gutter.

Speaking of Bill O', his latest is book is entitled "A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity," featuring a picture of Bill O' on the occasion of his First Communion on the cover. I am amazed that enough people have bought copies to put it on the best selling list. Bill is bold but never fresh and certainly not part of any humanity I would want to be associated with.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:29 am 

As you know APL, many of those right wing books are bought in bulk to give away (or throw away, who can tell). The question is, how many single copies have been sold?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:56 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Charitable giving should be as important in these tough economic times, but that act feel in 2007 as "The New York-based Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy found that about a third of companies surveyed cut 2007 charitable giving in the slowing economy, and there are indications of more reductions this year."

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:43 am 

Channel Zero wrote:

Could it be these companies were 'rewarding' those at the top?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I've said before, my charitable giving at holiday time goes to animal shelters, usually in memory of my beloved lost pets. People, needy or not, seem to get more attention at this time of year, but the animals need help, too.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman