It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Requiring Christmas carols in school?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:50 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

What the eff?

O Come, All Ye Fanatics: California Teacher Wants To Require Christmas Carols In School

Quote:
Merry Susan Hyatt and her allies are circulating a petition that would require every public school to “provide opportunities to its pupils for listening to or performing Christmas music at an appropriate time of the year.”

Hyatt, a 61-year-old substitute teacher from Redding, is incensed that some schools in the state don’t allow religious carols at Christmas.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject: Re: Requiring Christmas carols in school?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:17 pm 

Channel Zero wrote:
What the eff?

O Come, All Ye Fanatics: California Teacher Wants To Require Christmas Carols In School

Quote:
Merry Susan Hyatt and her allies are circulating a petition that would require every public school to “provide opportunities to its pupils for listening to or performing Christmas music at an appropriate time of the year.”

Hyatt, a 61-year-old substitute teacher from Redding, is incensed that some schools in the state don’t allow religious carols at Christmas.

I guess she is just as incensed at the First Amendment and the U.S. Supreme Court. :knob: The right of petition does not include breaking the law, only changing it. I haven’t heard of anyone trying to eliminate the First Amendment even for 1 week a year. :thefinger:

Last I heard “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” and hundreds more are all fine Christmas songs to celebrate a holiday not a holy day. :santa: :santa: :santa:

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Last edited by A Proud Liberal on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missing word

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, good grief! :roll: Require? REQUIRE? REQUIRE? I think that is the key word.

What about the students in the CA public schools who aren't Christian? Seems to me that the substitute teacher is looking for some attention, poor needy thing, and figures she can get it in this controversial way...both her and her "allies."

Just go away, silly Susan...or just move to any state in the Southeast. IF you can find a substitute teaching job, you will be very happy with the Christmas music that is usually heard/sung during the holiday season in most of the southeastern states' public schools.

This sub needs to be enlightened, though. Does she not realize that non-Christians are American citizens, too? They pay their taxes, work hard, vote, sit on juries, serve in the military, do volunteer work, contribute to charity, obey the laws of the land, and try to improve their own lives and those of others. Yet during the holidays, it's become this woman's mission to make sure students who come from these "outsider" homes are made to either participate in singing carols or feel like scum. Freedom of Religious Expression is fine, but don't try to force your beliefs onto others, especially those people who are in the public schools everyday....as faculty, staff, or student.

Of course, we all know that Jesus is the Reason for the Season! (Never mind that the "pagans" had been celebrating the Winter Solstice and making merry during December for many centuries along about the same time as the Christians say Jesus was born...and doing it without Jesus.)

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:22 am 

Catherine wrote:
. . .
Of course, we all know that Jesus is the Reason for the Season! (Never mind that the "pagans" had been celebrating the Winter Solstice and making merry during December for many centuries along about the same time as the Christians say Jesus was born...and doing it without Jesus.)

Actually biblical scholars agree it was during June or July. Not even the Romans were hardheaded enough to take a census in the dead of winter. The reason for the change was simple: It was easier to attract converts if your holidays fell close to what they were already used to celebrating. Thus Christmas falls near the winter solstice and Easter falls near the Spring equinox.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote