It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:55 pm 
Offline
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:58 pm
Posts: 71
mga wrote:
and the guy makes a killing.


Biggest sign that you should be really skeptical, right there. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:08 pm 
Offline
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:58 pm
Posts: 71
DO.g's wrote:
Prove anything you say is true Sot.
Why hold me to a higher standard of proof than you hold yourself?

But, hmm, that is a simple enough challenge, I may as well meet it.


Sotek, earlier in this thread wrote:
I've seen someone claim a study proving the Earth could only be a few thousand years old, going by mineral accumulation rates.
The only problem is that the study actually proves the earth to be fourteen years, if the reasoning's valid.

Well, the original claim of this can be found in a book by Henry Morris, entiteld Scientific Creationism, published in 1974, on pages 153-155; you can verify this if you wish.

The original study was published in Chemical Oceanography in 1965, and displayed the "residency times" of minerals in the ocean, calculated by dividing the amount of those minerals in the ocean by the rate at which they came in from rivers; you can again verify this if you wish.

Now, "fourteen years" is a mistake; whoops. Aluminum only "proves" the Earth to be 100 years old, going by the study and reasoning; again, you can verify this by looking up the study.



There. I've proved something I said, albeit containing a mistake due to faulty memory which I have now corrected.


You care to disprove something I've said?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:15 pm 
ECSMOKELOC wrote:
What is the fundamental belief of a Buddhist?


In a single word, balance. A Buddhist doesn't take the extreme position on either side. Balance is the way to reach enlightenment as it keeps you center and allows you to see the truths of the world clearly instead of through the lens of either extreme. Which is why I'm neither a communist/anarchist or a capitalist/fascist, I'm a socialist, the balance between the two. Speaking from a spiritual position though it means not to be completely logical or completely dogmatic. Someone who's completely logical is cruel, likewise someone who's completely dogmatic is also cruel, the balance between the two, logic and spirituality, is where you find peace and harmony. Using both allows you to be compassionate and intelligent to establish a better life/world for yourself and everyone around you.

So like I said, balance.

Quote:
What is YOUR message?


My message is to go to the fundies and bang on their own drum. "This is what Christ says is right, why aren't you doing it?" If they make some excuse that's fine, you simply ask "So was Christ wrong then?" You will get a better response from them when you start challenging them on their own belief system rather than trying to debunk it. Accept their faith in God, then ask them why they don't follow the rules they swore to follow when they became a Christian. This allows you to use the same fear the right wing fundamentalists use on them or they will do something completely stupid like blatantly mistranslating a verse from the Bible to make a point, which then makes them look like a fool to everyone else.

My message also is stop with the motions to ban prayer in schools, reading of the Bible by an individual student in school, as well as anything else which does not force another person to accept Christ or learn another individuals translation of Christ's words. Ban teachers from teaching it and referencing it if you wish, punish them if they do so, but don't stifle people's first amendment rights even if they are Christian. I say this because I've been protected by the first amendment in something similar where a teacher had two students try to petition my high school from allowing me to wear my upside down cross (did I mention I'm a former Satanist?). The petition was thrown out based on the fact that the school can't stop me from freely expressing myself. On top of that, the vast majority of Christians in the school came to my defense despite disagreeing with my religious beliefs. So think of it as paying off a debt. :wink:

Now with that said I'm not saying all liberals are for this, but I've run into my fair share of Communist/Anarchists who've taken "Religion is the opiate of the masses" to the furthest extreme.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:18 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1955
Location: upstate new york.
i read that somewhere at some religious site....they were trying to use that to prove the earth was very young and not the billions of years that scientists claim.

but, that fizzled out very soon when enough people proved that wrong as well. i wish i paid more attention to it so i could respond better, but, sometimes those religious web sites make me go beyond my sense of humor and into a deep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:25 pm 
Offline
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:58 pm
Posts: 71
mga wrote:
i read that somewhere at some religious site....they were trying to use that to prove the earth was very young and not the billions of years that scientists claim.
They use it often enough, yes.

Creationism is a very sad belief, which I suspect was ushered into prominence recently by Sun Yung Moon, since he has plenty to gain by attacking Christianity's credibility, and some of the prominent Creationists have admitted to being his followers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:28 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1955
Location: upstate new york.
then, would you not agree that recently creationists are giving ground to evolution by attempting to introduce the divine intervention theory?

this says, ok, evolution did happen, but somewhere along the line a devine intervention made it all possible. sort of like the best of both worlds...right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:31 pm 
Offline
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:58 pm
Posts: 71
mga wrote:
then, would you not agree that recently creationists are giving ground to evolution by attempting to introduce the divine intervention theory?

this says, ok, evolution did happen, but somewhere along the line a devine intervention made it all possible. sort of like the best of both worlds...right?
Theistic Evolution. "Evolution happens because God wanted it to". That is, obviously, my stance.

But claiming creationists have gone to that stance is a bit ... inaccurate. CHRISTIANS have, but that's nothing new. Christians were holding that stance from before the day Darwin proposed his theory, albeit with different views on evolution. (Look up Paley sometime; his ideas are interesting reading, even though they're provably wrong.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1955
Location: upstate new york.
well, too bad, because the average joe christian can't accept that darwin and god worked together. the hard line fundy belives in the *poof* theory, and that is still being taught today.

let's clear the air for a second....i am an athiest and i believe in evolution 1000%. my point before was that religions are conceding to that fact that evolution is REAL and being proven every day by scientists. in order for religions to keep up, they had to change their attitudes. this means that the *poof* theory wasn't explainable to young kids any more (too many questions being asked) so they compromised with the darwin/devine theory.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: change comes from within.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:41 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:19 pm
Posts: 2533
You forgot to talk about Sponges, of course, which suck up most of your knowledge and your aluminum. The sponge is the only plant or animal that can ressurrect itself. Beat that Jebus.

Since when does Jebus advocate the Romans marching through his country? Would he advocate the US(Roman) army marching through Iraq. The Armies of the republics do this BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Glad that you admit you can make a mistake. There is a cure for you're insanity as well. That you think you're faith makes you different and exempt from the stigma of belief. Belief in fantasy is cureable. All you have to do is let go of the original lies about Jebus and all the other lies in your life just disappear. Hell is only in the mind of the truly desperate and fear filled; Like the LDS that you are sot.

As for buddhists, their beliefs are more blase, so they offend less people. It's too wishy washy, as is socialism, but I commend them both as a better choice of reality. Welcome to the board T.T.
Nice to hear a refreshing voice for a change.
Heres a question- How many flies does it take to screw in a lightbulb?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: change comes from within.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:50 pm 
Offline
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:58 pm
Posts: 71
DO.g's wrote:
You forgot to talk about Sponges, of course, which suck up most of your knowledge and your aluminum.
I didn't see the need to explain the precise mechanisms by which the minerals get removed, since simply showing that the argument implies something obviously false is enough to show that one of the premises of the argument is invalid, without having to explain why.

Quote:
Since when does Jebus advocate the Romans marching through his country? Would he advocate the US(Roman) army marching through Iraq. The Armies of the republics do this BECAUSE THEY CAN.
Would he? In some circumstances, possibly. In this one? No. He would not. I've already said that, I *know* I have.

Quote:
Glad that you admit you can make a mistake. There is a cure for you're insanity as well. That you think you're faith makes you different and exempt from the stigma of belief. Belief in fantasy is cureable. All you have to do is let go of the original lies about Jebus and all the other lies in your life just disappear. Hell is only in the mind of the truly desperate and fear filled; Like the LDS that you are sot.
So what are the "other lies", pray tell?

Because, y'know, I was raised athiest. It was only recently that I really found Jesus's actual teachings and realized I already believed them.

Quote:
Heres a question- How many flies does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None, because I'll smash the lightbulb to get rid of the buggers.

They're a pain around here, although we've gotten MOST of them now. stupid flies. grr.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: male or female
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:56 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:19 pm
Posts: 2533
Two- the trick is you have to get them in the light bulb.

BTW. You'll get your response. You answered the 3 questions already, for me. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: change comes from within.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:44 pm 
DO.g's wrote:
As for buddhists, their beliefs are more blase, so they offend less people. It's too wishy washy, as is socialism, but I commend them both as a better choice of reality.


Really, and what's your best choice of reality? Also how are Buddhism and Socialism wishy washy?

Quote:
Welcome to the board T.T.
Nice to hear a refreshing voice for a change.


Thank you.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: T.T.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:37 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:19 pm
Posts: 2533
Reality is an opinion. You create your own reality.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:49 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:19 pm
Posts: 2533
I'm A LIBERATIONIST. Everyone has the right to be free. Socialism is too restrictive of personal freedoms.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:14 am 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:31 pm
Posts: 222
Location: San Diego, Ca
everyone?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Blue Moon by Trent © 2007
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group