It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Famous Atheists, Freethinkers, etc...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:42 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

this is a web site i have kept in my "favorites" for a long time. it lists some rather interesting quotes from many people, including those who helped found our country. personally, i always found it interesting how much people have misquoted many of them or distorted what they said or meant to suit their own causes today.

enjoy and learn:

Famous Atheists, Freethinkers, Diests and Agnostics

This compilation of quotes, from some of the worlds greatest thinkers, gives me hope that our battle is just. There is a

chance that some day the realities of Science will overcome the obscurities of Theology.

Of Time–Life’s 100 most influential people of the Millenium, this list includes 19 of them, and 5 are in the top 10.

http://www.wonderfulatheistsofcfl.org/Quotes.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:25 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Thanks for the site, mga. Some of my favorite quotes were....

"All thinking men are atheists."-Ernest Hemingway

"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him."-Arthur C. Clarke
He also mentions in another quote, that "religion is a byproduct of fear." That is something that I have always believed. I think that people have limited themselves, out of fear, into believing that in order to be complete they need to believe in god or be a part of a religion. Most people, I have found, don't follow the rules of their religions 50% of the time anyways.

"Religion is based . . . mainly on fear . . . fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. . . . My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race."-Bertrand Russell

"Creationists make it sound like a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night"-Isaac Asimov
lol

"Faith is the commitment of one's consciousness to beliefs for which one has no sensory evidence or rational proof. A mystic is a man who treats his feelings as tools of cognition. Faith is the equation of feeling with knowledge. "-Ayn Rand

"I'm glad some people have that faith. I don't have that faith. If there is a God, a caring God, then we have to figure he's done an extraordinary job of making a very cruel world."-Dave Matthews

Anyways, just a few. I'm always up for talking about this.

[/i]