It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atheist attacks on Theism
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:29 pm 
Since everyone on here likes using websites as references for their arguments, I decided to join the fun. Enjoy!

Concerning atheist attacks on Theism

Some might think that atheists would be content with simply not believing in God and leave the theists to themselves. After all, if God doesn't exist then what's the big deal? Why not let the theists believe in God the way a child believes in the tooth fairy? To the atheist neither exists. So why bother?
Even though many atheists don't care if people believe in God or not, others feel obligated to fight what is often labeled as "oppressive religious bigotry." To this end, many of them are active in politics, social groups, the Internet, and various lawsuits with the intent of changing society to a more atheistic nature. They often consider Christians as a threat to freedom, common sense, and a good life. Consider this quote I found on an atheist web site at atheists.org.

"We are constantly being overrun by people trying to get their ticket to Heaven at our expense, and if we don’t stand up and be counted we will lose the very freedom we hold most dear; freedom of thought..."

This kind of statement is quite common in atheist circles. Many atheists I've spoken to tell me that I cannot think logically, that I am deluded, and that I believe in myths. They tell me that I am bound by foolish antiquated beliefs and need to abandon my religious bigotry and become a 'free thinker' like them.
Additionally, after reading much atheist material and debating with them over the internet, I've discovered that they often use mockery of God, religious leaders, and the Bible as weapons. This isn't the case with all atheists, as I have had very good conversations with some of them, but ridiculing attitudes are surprisingly prevalent and strong. Character assassination, half-truths, and out-of-context Bible quotes are typical tools used by many of them in attempts to make Christianity look bad.
Now, I am not trying to dismantle the atheist position with a generic character assassination. I am only making on observation. In the majority of my dealings with atheists, I have encountered great arrogance, rudeness, and condescension. Atheists have told me that religion is only a giant con-game designed to get peoples' money, that clergymen are in business for themselves, and that I was mentally ill for believing in God. Following are other comments from atheists:

"I do not want to be bound to archaic mythologies. This is the 20th century."
"Christianity is an oppressive system used to control and manipulate people."
"Logic demands that religion be proven wrong."
"Christians should all be in mental wards."
"We are free thinkers and not bound by outdated and oppressive myths."
"Christians are sycophantic sheep."
Atheists often imply that reason is best used by them and not by Christians who, many say, need psychological help for believing in God. This condescending attitude is a fountain for derogatory comments. I have been called stupid, absurd, illogical, and a slave to my religion. I get the impression from atheists that they are so convinced they have the truth that no other options are available to them and that if you don't agree with them, you're not smart. Of course, they will deny this and say I am being ridiculous, but this is what I have observed -- right or wrong.
Consider some of the terms the atheists use to describe themselves: "Free thinkers," "Free from religion," "Rational," etc. They use these self-descriptive terms in juxtaposition to statements of Christians as religious bigots, losers, and brainwashers. On the atheist.org website I read,

"Critical thinking, objectivity, scientific methodology, and peer review are all hallmarks of Atheism. Submission, fear, credulity, and insupportable claims are the hallmarks of religious belief. "

When I read statements like this I can't help but wonder which religion they are referring to. It can't be Christianity because the Bible teaches us to love God and love our fellow man. It teaches that the fear of the Lord is wisdom, that truthfulness is a way of life, and that eyewitness accounts of the miraculous is one of the evidences for its validity. Of course, the atheist would argue with all of this because he must. But still, if an atheist wants to attack religion in general and Christianity specifically, it should, at least, do so objectively. But this doesn't seem to be the hallmark of the atheistic movement; at least not from what I've seen so far.
Consider the following statements from Atheists.

"Godism is consistent with crime, cruelty, envy, hatred, malice, and uncharitableness."
"As long as religious purposes are served, ethics, inquiry and reason are abandoned."
Are these the statements of tolerance, impartiality, truth, and sound judgment? Not at all. It seems to me that if the atheists were in power, that their views of religion being cruel, evil, and unreasonable would force them to either imprison the 'offenders' or legislate complete and total annihilation of all things religious. No wonder they are working against the Lord and His people.
Does atheism really teach freedom? No. It teaches bondage for its adherents and for those who disagree with it.

Why is that atheists cant help but attack God?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:51 pm 
It was Martin Luther King, Jr, who said:

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction."

I believe he was very correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:24 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

You attack athiests for mocking religious leaders.

Do you also attack religious people for mocking religious leaders? They do it, often even more frequently.

And if you believe that Christianity as practiced by most self-proclaimed Christians bears more than the slighest relationship to the Bible, I'll have to question your grasp of reality.

I mean, sure, God is love, the Bible says to love God, etc etc etc, love the sinner, hate the sin, so on.

Where's the part where it says "bomb abortion clinics"? Where's the part where it says "Kill the towelheads"? What about the parts where it says that religion ought to be a private thing?

How does the practice of many Christians square with what the Bible says?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:48 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

ya know, lucas, i was beginning to like you, but that post above took all that away now.

as an athiest, i could care less if you want to believe in god or not. i'm not on this "crusade" as you incinuated, to remove your right to practice religion. in fact, i will defend your your right to practice religion if any one threatens to remove it...just like i would expect you to do the same for me.

however, what i don't like is having to see "god" and religious artifacts all around me and my government. i don't like my paid-for elected officials telling me that they are making decisions based on "god's will"..i didn't elect god to be the president or senator or congressman...i elected the man. i would assume he'd use his onw brain to do his own thinking..

but, your post is typical of christian fanatical bullshit: the athiest is coming to get you!!! i'm the anti-christ and so on..get real...and get out of my government and back in your church.

for, if the time ever comes, that christianity takes complete control of this country, neither i nor my offspring will defend it, because it no longer is the america we were supposed to have.