It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Thanks: Toys for Tots refuses Jesus
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:56 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

ha ha ha...looking at the dolls, i would have turned them down too, but the reason TfT gave was a good one:

Jesus dolls rejected from Toys for Tots program

Bible-quoting toymaker surprised its offer of 4,000 dolls was turned down

LOS ANGELES - A company that sells Bible-quoting Jesus dolls said it was surprised and disappointed that the Marine Reserves’ Toys for Tots program turned down its offer to donate 4,000 of the talking dolls.

“I believe as a churchgoing person, anyone can benefit from hearing the words of the Bible,” said Michael La Roe, director of business development for Valencia-based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co. and its one2believe division, which makes the line of Bible character dolls.

Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va., said the offer was turned down because Toys for Tots doesn’t know anything about the religious affiliations of the children who receive its gifts.

“We can’t take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family,” Grein said Tuesday. “Kids want a gift for the holiday season that is fun.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15717485&GT1=8717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:06 pm 

What does Christmas celebrate again? Have to say if one thinks about it, Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus. So technically
anyone celebrating Christmas should not be offended.
Quote:
“We can’t take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family,” Grein said Tuesday.

Does that quote make anyone else besides myself laugh?! I'm about rolling here! :lol:
Of course he did say "the holiday season" I guess he could mean Hanukah. Ok, my faux paux, but still made me laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:03 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

c'mon...they're only dolls.

that's the problem with you christians. you idolize too many objects or symbols as what you perceive to be "christ-like".

besides, only american christian kids would want dolls such as these because most normal kids want "fun" toys. the people manufacturing those dolls are profiting off of god-image toys and they thought this would give them some free advertising, not to mention a nice tax write-off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:55 am 

Quote:
c'mon...they're only dolls.

So then why would anyone have a hard time with it?

Quote:
that's the problem with you christians. you idolize too many objects or symbols as what you perceive to be "christ-like".

Ok again I'm laughing. ... Christians idolizing..... lol Well I suppose some do, but they shouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:21 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

So then why would anyone have a hard time with it?

exactly. so, why are they revering these dolls so much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:04 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Nina wrote:

Quote:

Ok again I'm laughing. ... Christians idolizing..... lol Well I suppose some do, but they shouldn't.

Most christians ive met do, but thats a different discussion. I just dont think children should be exposed to religion as they are not old enough to make rational decisions, and by the time they are old enough to, the religion would have already brainwashed them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I just dont think children should be exposed to religion as they are not old enough to make rational decisions, and by the time they are old enough to, the religion would have already brainwashed them.

Agreed!

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman