It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ON ATHEISTS AND EASTER
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ON ATHEISTS AND EASTER

Easter is as good a time as any to delve into the issues raised by faith and reason. In this essay, E.J. Dionne challenges the arguments of “neo-atheism.”

For an alternative viewpoint, read An Atheist Manifesto at http://www.truthdig.com/dig/item/200512 ... manifesto/

I like this comment at the link:

Quote:
#62630 by k on 4/07 at 6:37 am
(Truthdig Member since 04/7/2007, 1 comments)

She’s quoting from the National Review and the New Republic. Enough said.

What’s next quoting and referencing Limbaugh, O’reilly, Robertson, and Dobson?

E.J. Dionne. Please take her away from Truthdig.

Give us more Amy Goodman and Gore Vidal.

Man, I miss Molly Ivins.

This is a sad, sad day for Truthdig.

Quote:
#62620 by Greg Bacon on 4/07 at 2:59 am
(Truthdig Guest)

Being that we had such a “good” Friday, let’s explore some possibilities.

Say there was a man--who allegedly lived 2,000 years ago-- that shunned the company of woman because he preferred hanging with his male buddies and getting drunk with the same.

They were a cozy little bunch, living together and on the edge of society, shunned by the “good and decent” people of that time. These religious people that shunned this crowd didn’t like their long hair and alternative lifestyle.

For the sake of clarity, let’s give this person the initials J.C. He so “loved” his fellow dudes that he would even wash and kiss their feet.

He stayed single his entire life, never got married or even engaged--or so the myth goes--because he’d rather spend most of his free time with other males like him.

Flash forward to 2007: Do you think that person, J.C., would be called a “queer” or Jesus Christ?

greg bacon
recovering altar boy

P.S. The whole Christian religion is based on a falsehood: Supposedly, we were given free will by some being. With the free will comes a choice: Get down on your knees and worship that being or use your free will and lead your own life. But, if you actually exercise your free will to live on your own terms, then when you die, you are forever cast into some kind of hell for punishment.
So how in the hell does that translate into “free will?”

Being an atheist myself, I don't buy into the whole Easter story anymore than I buy into the Christmas story. I like the seasonal aspects of them both, though.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:01 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I guess mga's thread on 'Was jesus gay' wouldn't be the one to point people towards would it? Or the one about whether jesus needed to exist in the first place for this story to be told.

Wouldn't want their christian feelings to be hurt on their snuff story weekend, by having to point out how ridiculous these clowns are for believing in Grim fairy tales with universal death endings. What a boring finish. Act 3 scene 6- everybody dies- no dialogue, just a final whimper. :roll:

How droll.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mga's thread you mention can be found HERE.

One of my favorite sites is FREEDOM FROM RELIGION FOUNDATION

Dan Barker, one of the founders of that organization, offers a reasonable question to Christians about Easter in his book Losing Faith in Faith:

"My challenge is simply this: tell me what happened on Easter. I am not asking for proof. My straightforward request is merely that Christians tell me exactly what happened on the day that their most important doctrine was born." (Chapter 24, p.178)

He goes on to explain the conditions of the challenge are simple and reasonable, referencing the four gospels, beginning at Easter morning and reading to the end of the book: Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20-21. He says Acts 1:3-12 and Pauls's version of the story in 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 should also be included in the 165 verses, which can be read "in a few moments."

He then asks Christians who accept his challenge to "write a simple, chronological narrative, without omitting a single detail from those separate accounts, of the events between the resurrection and the ascension: what happened first, second, third, etc., who said what, when, and where these things happened." (same reference.)

Mr. Barker allows for educated guesses in the times of day of the narrative, and anyone accepting his challenge doesn't have to present a perfect picture. He does state emphatically that "not one single biblical detail be omitted." (same reference.)

Mr. Barker says he has tried the challenge himself. AND FAILED.

Reference: Losing Faith in Faith, by Dan Barker

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman