Petition Supporting Impeachment of Bush and Cheney
Submitted by davidswanson on Wed, 2006-11-01 17:04. Activism | Impeachment
Sign our Ten Reasons to Impeach Bush and Cheney Petition online.
Then print this PDF, make copies, and collect signatures from friends and neighbors.
One good place to collect names is right in front of your Representative's office, if there is passing foot traffic. You should do so prominently with a visible sign so your Representative (and staff) can't miss it. Other good locations are busy malls, libraries, and post offices. Be creative! You can also go door-to-door in your neighborhood and bring your petition to work or church.
Collect and submit names anytime, but especially on Impeachment Weekend, December 16-17, 2006.
If you'd prefer to collect petitions with a group, join (or help us organize) a local Impeachment Committee:
Instructions for submitting collected names:
Go to http://democrats.com/impeach-petition
look just below the message and click the "send to friend" link
the "send to friend" page lets you keypunch up to 20 email addresses, one per line
copy/paste this list of email addresses and save it on your computer for local organizing efforts in the future
This will send an email to everyone on your list asking them to sign our Ten Reasons to Impeach Bush and Cheney Petition online, which will go directly to their Representative - and get an individual response.
Then send the original petitions to your representative.
Full text of the Petition
I support the impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Cheney for the following reasons:
1. Violating the United Nations Charter by launching an illegal "War of Aggression" against Iraq without cause, using fraud to sell the war to Congress and the public, and misusing government funds to begin bombing without Congressional authorization.
2. Violating U.S. and international law by authorizing the torture of thousands of captives, resulting in dozens of deaths, and keeping prisoners hidden from the International Committee of the Red Cross.
3. Violating the Constituton by arbitrarily detaining Americans, legal residents, and non-Americans, without due process, without charge, and without access to counsel.
4. Violating the Geneva Conventions by targeting civilians, journalists, hospitals, and ambulances, and using illegal weapons, including white phosphorous, depleted uranium, and a new type of napalm.
5. Violating U.S. law and the Constitution through widespread wiretapping of the phone calls and emails of Americans without a warrant.
6. Violating the Constitution by using "signing statements" to defy hundreds of laws passed by Congress.
7. Violating U.S. and state law by obstructing honest elections in 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006.
8. Violating U.S. law by using paid propaganda and disinformation, selectively and misleadingly leaking classified information, and exposing the identity of a covert CIA operative working on sensitive WMD proliferation for political retribution.
9. Subverting the Constitution and abusing Presidential power by asserting a "Unitary Executive Theory" giving unlimited powers to the President, by obstructing efforts by Congress and the Courts to review and restrict Presidential actions, and by promoting and signing legislation negating the Bill of Rights and the Writ of Habeas Corpus.
10. Gross negligence in failing to assist New Orleans residents after Hurricane Katrina, in ignoring urgent warnings of an Al Qaeda attack prior to Sept. 11, 2001, and in increasing air pollution causing global warming.
Sign the petition online.
Collecting Names on the Street
The 5 second pitch on the street is: "Sign our petition to impeach Bush and Cheney!"
If they agree, you hand them the clipboard and they sign, and while they are signing you can say:
"We will deliver this petition to our Congressman, Joe Blow. You can have even more impact if you send an email to him directly, so if you don't mind we will email you with the link to our online letter. Thank you so much for your support!"
Put a graphic link to the petition on your website using this code:
<a href="http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/petition"><img src="http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/sites/afterdowningstreet.org/files/images/collect_0_1.jpg"></a>