It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amazon: Drop Shark Fin Soup!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:28 am 

Take Action!

Online megastore, Amazon, sells everything from books to electronics to home decor. But there's no room in its product line for shark fin soup.

This so-called delicacy exploits a population that is already threatened with extinction. Shark finning involves cutting off the shark’s fins while it is still alive, and then tossing the body back into to the sea, dead or dying. Up to 73 million sharks are killed every year to support the international shark fin market.

Please take action.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:07 am 

Geezus. I had no idea! Thanks Dori, I've forwarded this to several of my animal activist friends and signed a letter myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:32 am 

Thank you lefty. There seems to be no end to the ways humans have of torturing, does there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:30 pm 

I don't have a link, this was emailed to me, but I thought it was great news that Amazon isn't going to sell the shark fin soup any longer!!

Quote:
We recently asked for your help to convince online mega-retailer, Amazon, to remove canned shark fin soup from its virtual shelves. Within hours, 14,000 of you had contacted Amazon about this issue and in response, Amazon discontinued the sale of Roland's shark fin soup.

While the Amazon effort focused on shark finning--cutting off the shark's fins while it is still alive, and then tossing the body back into to the sea--sharks are also at risk from other fishing practices. Tens of millions of sharks are accidentally caught each year as victims of dirty fishing or bycatch. Despite the mounting evidence of shark overfishing and depletion, few countries restrict shark fishing or bycatch.

We're working to get the EU to implement fishing laws to protect sharks. Europe is home to some of the world's largest fishing fleets and its powerful fisheries officials influence international fishing restrictions in many regions of the globe. As a result, poor European shark policies pose threats to sharks not only in European waters but in other parts of the world as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact Amazon and being part of Oceana's first 2007 victory.

For the oceans,
Suzanne Suzanne Garrett
Campaign Project Manager

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

This shows that small organizations can effect changes. Small, but they grow as they are multiplied. We need more people to help with the democratic process and vote for change wherever they can. If you don't vote- you don't count!

It's the draggers that do the worst damage. They destroy the ocean bottom dragging their huge steel plates to stir up the ocean bottom and cut a path of destruction at the same time. May as well be bombing the ocean floor for a comparison of how devastating this is! Drift netting is another serious problem that kills many large fish, including sharks and whales. These things can be miles long and cause problems to fish and shipping as well.

Lets get after these types of fishing techniques, then we could go after the Seiner's as well!

Fish supplies and habitat are reaching the tipping point, where there will not be the diversity or checks and balances in the ocean that will allow it to grow back the way it was. Some examples would be the Mediterranean and the problems they have developed there and the great lakes and the changes to their ecosystems.

The problem is that people don't see the whole picture of their effect, because they aren't willing to use a constructivist reasoning procedure to analyse why things do the things they do, from the micro to the macro.

If it isn't smacking them across the face, with a dead fish, they won't pay attention or figure it out.

Surface thinkers never go below the surface to see the ripple effects. When the top predators disappear, who takes up the vacuum?

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:52 am 

You are so right DO.g's, but I have no idea how to get through to surface thinkers. They drive me up the wall!

Meanwhile, we do have to do all we can to bring the effects of commercial practices in fishing as well as other forms of producing food to light.

I know someone who eats veal several times a week. Her husband will not eat it because of the way it is raised, but she continues to insist on having 'what she wants'. I wish I could take her to the places where these calfs are, in effect, tortured and drugged to produce something 'she wants'.

Very religious person...

I have no idea how to get through to 'sruface thinkers'...