It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2007's overused words or phrases
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:59 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I don't think I've used many of those phrases, so I guess I'm safe.

No worries. It's all good.

Annual List of 'Banned' Words Released: It Is What It Is
Quote:
Published: December 31, 2007 5:00 PM ET

DETROIT Resist the urge to say you will "wordsmith" your list of New Year's resolutions rather than write one. And don't utter, "It is what it is" when you fail to meet your first goal.

Those are two of the 19 words or phrases that appear in Lake Superior State University's annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness. The school in Michigan's Upper Peninsula released its 33rd list Monday, selecting from about 2,000 nominations.

Among this year's picks are "surge," the term for the troop buildup in Iraq. "Give me the old days, when it referenced storms and electrical power," Michael Raczko of Swanton, Ohio, said in nominating the word.

The list also included "perfect storm," "under the bus" and "organic." Also: "It is what it is," which Jeffrey Skrenes of St. Paul, Minn., said "accomplishes the dual feat of adding nothing to the conversation while also being phonetically and thematically redundant."

An LA Times list.
Quote:
Too much information. Overused the second time it was uttered. And no, "TMI" is not acceptable either.

Blue-ribbon panel. Has there ever been a red-ribbon panel?

It's all good. Is it? Really?

My bad. Yes.

Perfect storm. In 2007 alone, perfect storm was used to explain the troubles of race-car driver Dale Earnhardt Jr., a slide in the stock market and an uptick in the use of crystal meth. Any trope that elastic is suspect.

Think outside the box. In effect, this says "do your best to be original" in the least original way. That's worth thinking about.

And for the sports minded.
Quote:
Ball security.
Put it on the ground.
Take it to the house.
Right up the gut.

Whateverrrrrrr!

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.