It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "The Tears of Jefferson" by John Adams
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:36 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I'm thinking this may be a good title for the book I want to write in a few years. I need to read a couple more hundred ecohistoricalgeobiopoly type books first.

The book is slated to be fiction because that is safer, plus I like to make things up periodically.

What name should I use for Bush? Remember the book will be 'roughly' based on reality. :scratch:

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Purple Tang on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "The Tears of Jefferson" by John Adams
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 pm 

Purple Tang wrote:
What name should I use for Bush? Remember the book will be 'roughly' based on reality. :scratch:

Something that would mean gentleman farmer wanna be that failed at anything attempted.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:47 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I'm thinking that calling the administration the "bushbarians" is catchy. No?

Could that be asking for litigation?

This book likely ain't gonna be purty. I hope to write it as as an educated foreigner might look at things. Being partially raised in Europe, I struggle with the 'American' myopic outlook.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I look forward to reading your book, Purple Tang. :D

Quote:
Something that would mean gentleman farmer wanna be that failed at anything attempted

Agreed! Except I don't think I'd call him a "gentleman."

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:15 am 

I wasn't sure how to place the "wanna be" so it was absolutely clear it applied to both gentleman and farmer. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:42 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
I look forward to reading your book, Purple Tang. :D

Quote:
Something that would mean gentleman farmer wanna be that failed at anything attempted

Agreed! Except I don't think I'd call him a "gentleman."

It s going to be a while. I'm shooting for a million sales so it has to be very good.

How much does an author typically make when a "$25" (full retail price) book gets sold? I've always estimated about a dollar? I'm not doing it for money. But money is a necessity around these parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First thing you might want to think about is finding a publisher who will listen to your ideas. Some publishers aren't interested in authors who don't have literary agents, either. Authors have to market themselves much like actors and models do. If you simply send in an unsolicited manuscript to one of the more active publishing houses, it goes on the "rubbish heap," and soon it will be returned to you with the standard rejection letter.

However, there are a few stories about how some famous authors got past the rubbish heap and managed to get a smart editor to read their manuscript. Stephen King and Ken Follet are two that I recall.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Trust me....I can widen some eyes.

I also know a 'desktop publisher' though I'm not sure if that helps. I figure they could do paperbacks but would have no distibution network to speak of.

I'm a good customer of Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Not sure if that helps either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:28 am 

Do you have any writers clubs around, maybe check with your local library. These are people who have been interested in writing and publishing for a long time and could have answers.

Sounds like your book is going to singe the shelves it sits on--but first you have to have a plan in place to have it accepted for publishing. Catherine said it right.
Quote:
First thing you might want to think about is finding a publisher who will listen to your ideas. Some publishers aren't interested in authors who don't have literary agents, either. Authors have to market themselves much like actors and models do.

Desktop publishers are good for people with books about local subjects, but you need a publishing house for something as big as what you are working on.

Good luck--I would love to read your finished product.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:34 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Thanks for the advice. There is a long road ahead. Currently reading a book about the Robert Kennedy assassination that got buried by the LAPD. Gets depressing after awhile. This world has so much corruption, we may have expected more from those in the law and order business...and are often disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:55 am 

Purple Tang wrote:
I'm a good customer of Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Not sure if that helps either.

Sorry, I can assure you that unless you buy school district or library quantities of books, this means absolutely nothing either way. Do visit your local bookstore however, you will find a plethora of books in a section called "Writing for Publication." You find that knowing the market and publishers before writing will give you the proverbial leg up on actually being published. Denver is probably not radical enough to have a good independent bookstore, at least it wasn't when I went to college there, but the situation may have improved. These are the guys that would put Anne Coulter in the same section as Al Franken. The chain stores put Franken in Humor and Coulter in Politics/Government, they wouldn't want to upset the sheeple with Franken being on the same shelf with their heroes, Coulter, O'Reilly, Beck…. With a name like yours and a title like the one you propose, the chains would more than likely put the book in History instead of the Political Science category it deserves. Just some random musings.
Good Luck,
APL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:53 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I appreciate all the great advice in this uncertain and very interesting time.

My small home has granite counter tops and a few other luxuries, I cannot complain about my lifestyle. I have chosen to live close to poverty level for several reasons.

I am learning a new career....web design. Finding that I do not learn as easily at 49 as I did at 19.

I have a couple small businesses that pay my bills if I can avoid frivolities.

Lots of time to read....and think.

I'm also in between two worlds. I like democrats but despise big government. I have many conservative values but despise the warlike tendencies of many right wingers. I suppose that I should drop the political scene since neither party likes me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:28 am 

Quote:
I suppose that I should drop the political scene since neither party likes me.

No, that is how parties go wrong. When people who want to improve them drop out, it leaves the few who want improvements that don't drop out hanging.

The best thing to do is work to improve the parties we have or back some third party you do believe in. One that has empathy and fiscal conservatism combined--and if you can't find that party, start one.

Our problem is that too many people have dropped out already...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid