It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Survivalist food stockpiles?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Noting that canned beans, peas, and corn went up 16% last month...and that BushCheney may decide that they would like to stay....and their coterie may decide to start WWIII....I have started accumulating a food stockpile.

One of my first findings is that protein powder has went up 50% in the past couple years. Wow. Protein powder would be an effective way to ensure that you can meet your needs for protein, and it stores well.

Canned foods store well but it is mostly water. Expensive compared to bags of flour, rice, and beans. I don't want to spend $3000 on food only to see normalcy return and I would have all of this canned food to eat. I'd rather spend $1000 and not feel excessive pain if normalcy returns.

Rice? White rice has little nutritional value. How do I know if a bag of rice is nutritionally viable? Do the better rices store well?

Pinto beans cost 50 cents/pound. What makes them taste good? I'm a bachelor and have minimum knowledge of cooking. I microwave my meals except for a sound breakfast.

Flour? This and a bread machine would seem to make perfect sense.

I also have a couple empty freezers....long story.

Help from the ladies? Men that know food?

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:35 pm 

Any dried bean would be great. Cooking them is a snap. Throw in your favorite spices and let it simmer for a few hours. I love a chopped onion, some garlic and maybe a bell pepper. (peppers don't keep well), but you could chop some and freeze them. They are supper easy to grow. Anyway, you can store potatoes and onions in a cool, dry place quite a while. And remember that potatoes are still ok to eat if they have buds, just cut them off and enjoy. Hm. I have lots of ideas, but will have to think on it, I've got some stuff to do tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lefty's advice is good, PT. I did a bit of searching around and found some info at these sites:

http://www.lacetoleather.com/food.html

http://www.survivalblog.com/2007/04/top ... tocki.html

A safe and reliable water source should not be forgotten.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman