It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 14 year client turns out to be a raving Republican.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:58 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I had to stand there with a pleasant expression while this guy said that Reagan was the best President ever....that almost nothing was Bush's fault (*this may be possible)....that our beloved governor is an idiot....that Obama is an idiot....that democrats tax the rich....that the fed reserve is not privately owned....etc....etc.

It seems that politics is most effective for making enemies and losing friends. Sometimes I feel that I should switch from Dem to Ind and just let motor mouths wear themselves out.

One neighbor likes to tell me about city swat teams in my front yard ( he has a bizarre theory about all of his neighbors) while another neighbor actually turned me in for an expired license plate on a Jeep that doesn't run...two days after the caucus.

* Reason being is that I have seen nothing to indicate that he is part of the decision making process.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:46 am 

In New York state an unaffiliated person can't vote in a primary. Other than that, I have found not belonging to any party to be quite satisfying. I have Democratic signs on my lawn every election year but bring them in at night so they can live another day.

It is impossible to 'make' anyone see or understand anything. That doesn't stop me from trying--I figure a seed planted just might grow. But at least if people are going to dislike me, they have to pick some other reason than that I am enrolled in the 'wrong' party.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:03 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Is there a difference between being a republican politician and a republican constituent?

It seems the latter is less proud to call himself a republican, according to this article:

WhatOthersSay: The GOP, a casualty of war

Quote:
By ROSA BROOKS | Special to the Los Angeles Times
According to a March 20 Pew Research Center study, Republican Party identification is at its lowest point in the center's 16 years of polling: Only 27 percent of registered voters will now fess up to being Republicans, a 6-percentage-point drop since 2004. And the decline is particularly notable in key swing states.

It's not just the fence-sitters who are shifting; core GOP constituencies are fleeing, too. In a warning sign of what the future may hold for the GOP, Republican Party identification among younger white evangelicals 55 percent in 2001 had plummeted to 40 percent by September 2007.

The same trend has been true among military personnel, for decades a solidly Republican constituency. In 2004, 60 percent of active-duty military personnel who responded to a survey sent to Military Times subscribers identified themselves as Republicans. By 2007, that had dropped below 50 percent. (Military personnel tend to take screw-ups in Iraq pretty personally.)

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.