It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colorado deer and elk herds decimated by record snowfalls...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:16 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Our snowpack this winter was about 170% of normal. Tough on the wildlife.

I took a one hour hike and found seven deer or elk carcasses/remains. It is normally highly unusual to find one carcass. To add to the scene, the sides of the highway were pretty well littered with carcasses.

Leading me to wonder....what did the very well funded Colorado Dept of Wildlife do this winter?

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
what did the very well funded Colorado Dept of Wildlife do this winter?

Good question, PT.....let us know when you find out the answer.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:57 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

:scratch:

Looks like they spent the winter scratching their heads.

I hunt once in a while and love deer and elk. I know that sounds odd but one would find that hunters will do more for the herds than most.

I'm sure they made sure that some herds were fed...but not enough.

I asked the question via their web page and noted their was no recognition of a desire to ask what they do in winters like this one.

For what its worth, I like to think that I am an impartial critic. If a groups actions or inactions have not heard from me, I would tend towards surprise. "We have met the enemy and they are us."

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:38 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I have, so far, entered into dialogue with the Div of Wildlife. This is todays letter to their response.

I am generally not opposed to hunting or eating meat. For one thing, it is demand that often makes life possible. At the same time, I care greatly about wildlife. Speaking of which, it is time to refill my three cylinder bird feeder.

Food for wildlife or bullets for Muslims. How would you have your monies spent?

"Hello,

I believe you will agree that hunters are often more concerned about the lives of the herds than the public at large. Some of this is due to the desire for a successful harvest in coming years. Some is due to the fact that we admire wildlife and use the hunting season to interact while convincing our comrades that we really would do more than scare the critters.

My idea is to make a voluntary, tax deductible, option for contributing for winter feed when buying the hunting licenses. Say $5 for deer and antelope and $10 for elk. The funds would not be made available for other purposes. They would either gain interest and/or be used for research on winter feeding technology during the milder years. Do not let the power elite decide how the funds are to be allocated or they shall surely devour it faster than a ravenous coyote.

While people talk of global warming, I am of the school that believes that mans lot in life is to be proven wrong. In this light, I half expect global cooling to be around the corner.

I have a couple small, old businesses in aquarium maintenance and photography. Due to a lean economy, I have spare time to help with the project. I have taken four classes in under graduate and graduate level statistics and find that to be useful when studying wild life.

John H Adams

Subject: RE: Feeding the winter deer and elk herds?
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:59:24 -0600

John,

We did run extensive feeding operations inseveral areas of the state most of which were continued until about the beginningof April and some even longer. Unfortunately it is just not possible to feed allof the animals out there and winter kill, especially during a hard winter, willalways still take its toll.

Thank you,

John"

note:edited out personal data

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:26 am 

At least it didn't read:

Dear John,

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:34 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The guy seems to give a damn about the herds. Lets see if I can move up the ladder a bit.....

Todays exchange:

"Hello,

Thank you for the consideration. Can you recommend one person to address my efforts to?

Looking at the area around each carcass generally told a heart wrenching story of each animals ultimate battle against the elements.

John H Adams

Subject: RE: Feeding the winter deer and elk herds?
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:12:11 -0600

John,

I will certainly pass your suggestions on to the wildlife commission as they are the governing body that would be able to implement the ideas you are suggesting. If you would also like to e-mail them you can do so at wildlife.comm@state.co.us

Thank you,

John"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

So our esteemed government is preparing to pay government sharpshooters to reduce the size of the elk herd in Rocky Mountain National Park:

DOW and Wildlife Commission Critical of Rocky Mountain National Park's Elk Managment Plan

The Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) and the Colorado Wildlife Commission said Thursday that Rocky Mountain National Park's decision to reduce elk numbers in the park with sharpshooters should rely instead on qualified volunteers.

The park's Final Elk and Vegetation Management Plan will use sharpshooters to kill up to 200 elk a year to reduce the herd of about 3,000 elk to 1,600 to 2,100 animals.

Tom Burke, chairman of the Colorado Wildlife Commission, said qualified volunteers should cull the elk.

The park's elk management plan, including the use of sharpshooters, would cost about $6 million and last for up to 20 years.

The overpopulation of elk in Rocky Mountain National Park has caused habitat damage to certain areas of the park. Hunting isn't allowed in the park, established in 1913.

The DOW and the wildlife commission also oppose parts of the park's plan involving the use of fertility control agents and wolves to thin elk herds. The Colorado Wildlife Commission took a position against those methods last year.

However, Burke praised the management plan for leaving open the option of using qualified volunteers as well as sharpshooters.

�Repeatedly, the Colorado Wildlife Commission has said that we are proponents of using qualified citizen volunteers to assist in managing the elk population in Rocky Mountain National Park,� said Burke.

�Culling 100-200 or less elk a year may not have the impact desired on the current population of 3,000 in Rocky Mountain National Park," he said. "The language in the plan falls short of our expectations.�

He also said fertility control agents and wolves shouldn't be utilized because readily available citizen volunteers could cull the elk.

The Colorado Wildlife Commission is an eleven-member board that sets regulations and policies for hunting, fishing, watchable wildlife, non-game, threatened and endangered species.

The commission adopted a resolution in July of 2006 calling for the use of qualified public volunteers as the appropriate method to achieve the population reduction to the Rocky Mountain National Park elk herd.

�The Division of Wildlife and the Commission worked hard to develop a viable alternative to using federal tax dollars to fund government sharp shooters and wasting the carcasses,� said Burke.

�The plan isn�t reassuring when it comes to addressing our constituents� concerns pertaining to either of those issues," he said. "We believe we owe it to our constituents to get a stronger commitment from the park staff to use qualified public volunteers to restore a natural balance in the park.�

I have concluded that government administrators are largely bat shit crazy.

Last edited by Purple Tang on Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:58 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I think I should video tape the executions of the elk that are possibly the greatest tourist attraction in the park. That might get me arrested.

Jail seems to be where many of societies most conscientous members wind up. Not saying that I'm unduly conscientous.....but this is just insanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Perhaps they should go hunting with Dick Cheney.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I received my German made 'bullet proof' helmet and vest today making me almost qualified to stand in the same field with the veep.