It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Important question for computer literates...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:30 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I spent the night selecting the winners from almost 800 wedding & reception photos. A grueling task since one has to evaluate eye and facial expression in dozens of group shots.

I started to rename them and the freakin' computer just absolutely locked up. There is nothing I can do to make the mouse or keyboard do anything at all. I even tried a different mouse. Nada.

I use Photo Mechanic for this job and they may answer the phone tomorrow. Then again, they may not. They may not have a solution other than reset. I'm frequently amazed at "techs" who seem to know less than I do.

If I reset, I lose the work of hours of intense concentration.

The monitor went into stand by mode. Wriggling the mouse is not waking it back up. Looks like maybe time to reset and flush a lot of very hard work.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:16 am 

The only thing I can advise is when selecting a program, you look for an 'autosave' function similar to that of MS Word. I have mine set for 10 minutes; so no matter when the system goes south the most I will lose is ten minutes worth of work. If the software package you are using doesn't have autosave then you must manually hit the save button/function periodically. Setting a kitchen timer to a value is cheap low tech way of reminding yourself to perform such a save.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:18 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

its time for trial an error. does the windows hot key bring up your start menu. its the key that looks like the windows symbol. if not there then hit ctr+esc. thats the default menu hotkey. i wan to find out if the puter is still working or running. if its frozen....your screwed. also your TAB button will cycle through tabs and write in tabs. you can use the keyboard as a mouse to click tabs and links. it will highlight a tab and you then hit Enter to open that file or link. alt+tab will cycle through running programs, open windows of work, any window on the screen. if you can get to the running program, which i hope you do, the default save hotkey is ctr+s. i recommend everyone googling windows hotkeys. they are extremely helpful to know. you have no idea how many time ive had to search through computers and restore computers with just hotkeys on the keyboard. i hope this helps and you recover your work, for i know what you feel like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:17 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Thanks for the efforts!

I did have to reset. Photo Mechanic did save my work....much to my relief. So it wasn't too bad really.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:28 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

awesome. good to hear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just in case you would be interested...take a look at this site: http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?act=idx

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:19 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Thanks....those are tech guys that talk over my head.

Hackers burn my ass. I recently bought a state of the art hardware firewall that is supposed to change security codes every several minutes.

So I went to Stand By a few hours ago and walked away. This message was waiting for me when I returned:

"Other people are logged into your computer. Shutting down may cause them to lose data."

Gov hackers are intellectual property thieves who engage in unethical breaking and entering. The fact that Bush's crew makes it permissible for "national security" reasons makes it even worse.

Of course they can break into my computer. Windows has NSA keys built into it. It is still breaking and entering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

"
Quote:
Other people are logged into your computer. Shutting down may cause them to lose data."

Did you shut your computer down? :wink:

By the way, most "tech guys" (or gals) like to help out when someone needs a tech question asked. You never know....

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:05 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Purple Tang wrote:
Thanks....those are tech guys that talk over my head.

Hackers burn my ass. I recently bought a state of the art hardware firewall that is supposed to change security codes every several minutes.

So I went to Stand By a few hours ago and walked away. This message was waiting for me when I returned:

"Other people are logged into your computer. Shutting down may cause them to lose data."

Gov hackers are intellectual property thieves who engage in unethical breaking and entering. The fact that Bush's crew makes it permissible for "national security" reasons makes it even worse.

Of course they can break into my computer. Windows has NSA keys built into it. It is still breaking and entering.

first off are you the only acct on the computer? Start menu< control panel< user accnts. you should see your name as the administrator. is the guest acct on? are there any other accts on? if so turn it off. that should help. if you have the guest acct on for someone or another acct at all then a program that was running in the background that was started by one of those accts. you can always hit ctl+alt+delete also. it will bring up the task manager window. click the process tab. under the user name column you will what users have programs running. (admin) or (user), system, local service, netwrok service. if you ever suspect a foul service google the process name ie. explorer.exe, ccproxy.exe, services.exe. you will be lead somewhere with help. i wouldnt jump to say hackers just yet. it can be anything. as for NSA....if they really want to go through my puter..... have fun. ill put naked pics of my fat ass on there. i hope they have fun with that. that will teach them. they wont come back

Quote:
By the way, most "tech guys" (or gals) like to help out when someone needs a tech question asked. You never know....

you got me Cat!! haha. im a typical LIBERAL! oh noes i like to help people. tee hee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:00 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Thanks for the ideas. I feel better now that I know it may not have been a hacker.

FWIW...I'm the only user and that is password protected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:29 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

"It was cut like a knife. I think it was cut by a knife.
Squirrels leave scratch marks."

Walt--telephone company repairman after fixing my cut phone line from July 19/20.

Well...this one was easy to figure out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
you got me Cat!! haha. im a typical LIBERAL! oh noes i like to help people. tee hee

:lol: :lol: How did you like the avatar that I found for you, justin? It seemed to somehow just be......you, but without a fat ass! :lol:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:22 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
Quote:

:lol: :lol: How did you like the avatar that I found for you, justin? It seemed to somehow just be......you, but without a fat ass! :lol:

ha ha ha awesome!