It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food stamps anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:14 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Never thought I would consider this possibility. I am self employed and all of my clients are hurting. If they go out of business, so do I.

Food is a major expense for me. I'm a big guy who buys milk four gallons at a time.

How hard is it to get food stamps...if one qualifies?

BTW.....thanks Bush. Wrecking the economy was just another of your successful programs.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: Food stamps anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:21 pm 

http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/

Here's the gov screening tool thingy. Its fairly accurate as far as I know. My sister and her family almost qualified. They made literally $27 a month too much to get any assistance. Pretty freaking sad considering my sister was (now disabled) and my bro in law is in the coast guard and has been for 12 years now. You'd think he should make enough money. And no, he's not a peon, he works very, very hard and takes every advancement opportunity possible. But anyhow, she used the screening thing and it said they might be eligible, but it was too close to tell. So give it a try. If you income fluctuates, I am not sure how you prove that sort of thing, so I don't know how you would go about that part of it, but give it a try PT. Its what we all pay taxes for.

Edit: Remember though, they will never give you a ton of money, not unless you have children. They don't expect a grown man to need to drink 4 gallons of milk a week or whatever. I've known people who've gotten ridiculous amounts like $14 a month.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Thanks lefty!

The internet form said I look pretty eligible. I am having a form mailed.

Three years ago, I was a member of a Who's Who. Which means they I used my credit card a lot and gave them some money. I think that was how it worked anyway.

I am surviving with my income but my clients could start falling like dominoes. None are doing well at all. I cut my rates in spite of a falling dollar. Best to try to keep the accounts I think.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I cut my rates in spite of a falling dollar. Best to try to keep the accounts I think.

Very smart move, PT. Is it possible that your clients understand that the cut is a temporary measure so you can hang onto your business...(which also means that they continue to receive your service,) until the economy improves?

Best of luck with the food stamp assistance. Lefty's right...we all pay taxes and have done so for years. There's nothing shameful to ask for some of it back from the government when it's necessary. After all, who's had their hands out for bailouts...the small businesses? NOPE!
:albino:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman