It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who started the E.P.A.
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:12 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I had a friend over the weekend say that the liberals are to blame for the EPA. Who really introduced the EPA. I cant find it on google. I just want to know so I can refute the claim (if I can).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:40 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

It probably was the liberals. Anytime something is formed to protect the public from large corporations you can bet it was a liberal. It wasn't started as a "bad" thing. It was started to stop factories from dumpimg waste in our waterways.

There were areas in the country where people were dying because the water had been contaminated. Other areas babies were being born with birth defects and it was traced back to the water and the soil being contaminated.

Other areas people were coming down with unusual amounts of cancer do to contaminated water and/or soil. All this was due to unhealthy dumping by government experimental facilities, manufacturing companies, ect.

It began to keep the water, soil, and air clean and safe for us. It imposes large fines to those companies who break the law or who does not dispose of dangerous waste properly.

Where I live in Ohio, the Miami River has been dumped in and contaminated so bad you haven't been able to fish there for years. People used to go boating and water sking in the Miami when I was a little girl. It is so nasty no one does that anymore.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:28 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

http://www.epa.gov/history/publications/print/ruck.htm

These lines from the story of the founding of the EPA-

Quote:
William Ruckelshaus then entered a period of federal service in which he held a series of important administrative positions. He was called to Washington at the start of President Richard Nixon's first term and assumed the duties of Assistant U.S. Attorney General for the Civil Division, overseeing all civil litigation involving the federal government. Meantime, in spring 1970, rumors circulated in Washington that the president's Executive Council on Reorganization--which was reviewing all aspects of executive branch structure for the new Administration--would recommend the unification of federal environmental activity in a single governmental institution. One week after the first Earth Day on April 22, 1970, the council urged Mr. Nixon to form an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The president approved the suggestion and initiated the planning process in the White House. While the first by-product, known as Reorganization Plan Number 3, underwent congressional scrutiny during summer 1970, many names vied as candidates for EPA Administrator. William Ruckelshaus was mentioned often and his boss, Attorney General John Mitchell, broached the matter with him. About one month after Ruckelshaus confirmed his willingness to serve, Mitchell nominated him to the president, who accepted him for the position.

William Ruckelshaus held the office of administrator from the agency's first day of operation on December 4, 1970, until April 30, 1973. In two and one-half years, he laid the foundation for EPA by hiring its leaders, defining its mission, deciding priorities, and selecting an organizational structure. But as the Watergate scandal broke in successive waves over the Nixon administration, it finally affected the EPA as well. During the cabinet reshuffling following the resignations of White House Chief of Staff H. R. Haldeman and Domestic Affairs Advisor John Ehrlichman, Ruckelshaus's success at EPA and well-known integrity made him a likely candidate for one of the openings. He agreed to leave the EPA and serve as Acting FBI Director. Soon, however, newly-appointed Attorney General Elliott Richardson invited him to be his Deputy at the Justice Department. He accepted, but this assignment also proved short-lived. When the president demanded that Richardson fire Special Watergate Prosecutor Archibald Cox, the Attorney General chose instead to resign. William Ruckelshaus was then ordered to remove Cox, but joined Richardson in quitting the Administration. Acting Attorney General Robert Bork finally dismissed Cox, who together with Richardson and Ruckelshaus became known as the victims of the October 1973 "Saturday Night Massacre."

Seems that we have a beginning for the EPA here.

Quote:
William D. Ruckelshaus grew up in a distinguished Indiana family. Starting in the mid-nineteenth century, a succession of Ruckelshaus lawyers have practiced in Indianapolis. They have also had long associations with politics. William Ruckelshaus's grandfather worked actively for the Republican Party and in 1900 became state chairman. The son of this political stalwart, John K. Ruckelshaus, followed his father's example, serving as Chairman of the Platform Committee at five Republican Conventions.

Ruckelshaus quickly completed his college degrees: an A.B. (cum laude) from Princeton, followed in 1960 by an L.L.B. from Harvard Law School. After passing the Indiana bar, he joined the family firm of Ruckelshaus, Bobbitt, and O'Connor.

At the same time, the 28 year old lawyer was appointed Deputy State Attorney General, assigned to the Indiana Board of Health. Here he gained direct environmental experience. As counsel to the Indiana Stream Pollution Control Board, Ruckelshaus obtained court orders prohibiting industries and municipalities from gross pollution of the state's water supply. He also helped draft the 1961 Indiana Air Pollution Control Act, the state's first attempt to curb the problem.

After two years in this assignment and two more as Chief Counsel for the Attorney General's Office, Ruckelshaus embarked on a political career. He ran in 1964 as a moderate Republican for an Indiana Congressional seat, but lost in the primaries to a candidate from the Conservative wing of the party. Following a year as Minority Attorney for the State Senate, he joined the Republican tidal wave in the Indiana House of Representatives and won a seat; more than that, he became Majority Leader in his first term. Clearly a rising political star, Ruckelshaus was nominated by his party in 1968 to oppose Democrat Birch Bayh in a U.S. Senate race. Bayh won the election.

So it was founded by the REPUBLICANS. Stick that down their throats Justin. The truth is out.

At one time Republicans were conservators and concerned about the environment and now they are just destroyers who wish to plunder and abuse it for their greed based needs. They are true Corpitalists.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:42 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

well what do you know.........the Republicans actually started something that was meant to protect citizens. Wow. Open mouth.....insert shoe. Thanks DO.g's.

I have challenged a friend to find ANYTHING (a bill, law, or organization) that the republicans have ever started or passed to protect or help the middle class workers. He has come up with nothing so far and I will see if he comes to this conclusion about the EPA.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:26 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Holy shit dog you rock. I looked all over for this. It was right on there site. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:20 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Justin - concerning - EPA. I think it has become a "Old good boy" club. You know what I mean. A position where an incompetent can be placed to be payed by the taxpayers. They don't have to know anything or do anything except be available to pick up their paycheck and drive around in the pretty green trucks the taxpayers pay for. We had a problem in our community with a chemical recycling plant emitting such a fowl odor that could be smelled by our neighboring communities. Enough complaints were voiced, the local government asked the EPA to investigate. They attended our local council meeting to give the townspeople the results of their investigation. Now get ready for the kicker-----------------------The two gentlemen who conducted the investigation told the audience the only thing they detected was an odor that smelled like walnuts. They were asked what kind of equipment they used to measure the odor index in the air surrounding them. They replied - their noses. When the locals finished with them they were so nervous they just wanted to get out of the building. Before they got through the door one of the locals said "Don't worry gentlemen, we will never ask you to gather walnuts for our baked goods. If you supply any you will be the ones who will eat the finished product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:00 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

sadie53 wrote:
well what do you know.........the Republicans actually started something that was meant to protect citizens. Wow. Open mouth.....insert shoe. Thanks DO.g's.

That was a different breed of Republicans. Remember, the Earned Income Tax Credit for lower income workers with children also began during the Nixon administration. Those Republicans were a bunch of bleeding heart liberals compared to the greedy, inhuman, fascists who run the GOP today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

That's a great story dee35ann. Perhaps their noses were stuck up in the air so far that they missed the smell or perhaps their noses were stuck so far up each others butts that they missed the real odor and when they removed their noses, a walnut odor would have smelled good. Is the EPA a refuge for incompetance or is it planned incompetance? No you're right, a refuge for refuse from the garbage of politics.

Thanks for your alert nose on news and keep up the good postings.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.