It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The latest from work.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:11 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Ok. This last weekend my fellow conservative co-worker informed me that those making minimum wage are kids in high school and elderly who want more beyond their retirement checks. No one actually lives on minimum wage. Its just a thing the liberals use to get votes. Myself and two other co-workers busted out laughing at him and dogged the crap out of him. After a little arguing he proceeded to tell me hes not a repukelican hes more libertarian. The libertarian party is nothing more than a group formed by repugs that are ashamed to admit they are repukes. Thats all it is. You all are ashamed to be associated with repukes so you all hide in the libertarian party. I was also asked what I thought about what was going on in the middle east. I told him I thought Israel was encouraged by Bush to attack Hezbollah, Lebanon, and Syria so it would provoke Iran into striking Israel which in turn would give us ground (I dont know how) to go after Iran. He told me I was crazy. "Everyone wants to blame Bush for everything". I told him it was likewise for Clinton. "Clinton deserved it though". zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I get tired of hearing it. I go back to work on Friday so Im sure some other stupid shit will be said this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Justin...here is a site that has some statistics about the minimum wage earner:

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2004tbls.htm

AND THIS MIGHT GIVE YOU SOME TALKING POINTS WITH YOUR ON THE JOB MORON:

Minimum wage increases benefit working families.

The earnings of minimum wage workers are crucial to their families' well-being. Evidence from an analysis of the 1996-97 minimum wage increase shows that the average minimum wage worker brings home more than half (54%) of his or her family's weekly earnings.
An estimated 1,395,000 single parents with children under 18 would benefit from a minimum wage increase to $7.25 by 2008. Single parents would benefit disproportionately from an increase — single parents are 9% of workers affected by an increase, but they make up only 7% of the overall workforce. Approximately 3.9 million parents with children under 18 would benefit.
Adults make up the largest share of workers who would benefit from a minimum wage increase: 80% of workers whose wages would be raised by a minimum wage increase to $7.25 by 2008 are adults (age 20 or older).
Over half (54%) of workers who would benefit from a minimum wage increase work full time and another third (30%) work between 20 and 34 hours per week.
Minimum wage increases benefit disadvantaged workers.

Women are the largest group of beneficiaries from a minimum wage increase: 59% of workers who would benefit from an increase to $7.25 by 2008 are women. An estimated 14% of working women would benefit directly from that increase in the minimum wage.
A disproportionate share of minorities would benefit from a minimum wage increase. African Americans represent 11% of the total workforce, but are 16% of workers affected by an increase. Similarly, 14% of the total workforce is Hispanic, but Hispanics are 19% of workers affected by an increase.
The benefits of the increase disproportionately help those working households at the bottom of the income scale. Although households in the bottom 20% received only 5% of national income, 38% of the benefits of a minimum wage increase to $7.25 would go to these workers. The majority of the benefits of an increase would go to families with working adults in the bottom 40% of the income distribution.
Among families with children and a low-wage worker affected by a minimum wage increase to $7.25, the affected worker contributes, on average, over half (59%) of the family's earnings. Forty-six percent of such workers actually contribute 100% of their family's earnings.
Relatively large shares of the workforce (up to 19.1%) in some Southern and Mid-Western states would benefit from an increase to $7.25.
A minimum wage increase would help reverse the trend of declining real wages for low-wage workers.

Since September 1997, the purchasing power of the minimum wage has deteriorated by 20%. After adjusting for inflation, the value of the minimum wage is at its lowest level since 1955.
Wage inequality has been increasing, in part, because of the declining real value of the minimum wage. Today, the minimum wage is 31% of the average hourly wage of American workers, the lowest level since the end of World War II.
A minimum wage increase is part of a broad strategy to end poverty.

As welfare reform forces more poor families to rely on their earnings from low-paying jobs, a minimum wage increase is likely to have a greater impact on reducing poverty.
A recent study of a 1999 state minimum wage increase in Oregon found that as many as one-half of the welfare recipients entering the workforce in 1998 were likely to have received a raise due to the increase. After the increase, the real hourly starting wages for former welfare recipients rose to $7.23.
The federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) combined with the minimum wage helps to reduce poverty, but the EITC is not a replacement for a minimum wage increase. For example, in 1997, a single mother of two children working 40 hours per week year-round at the minimum wage would have earned $9,893 (after Social Security and Medicare taxes) and would have been eligible for the maximum EITC of $3,656, which would have put her family income at $13,549, a mere 5% above the 1997 poverty threshold of $12,931 for a family of three. But because the minimum wage has not kept up with increases in the cost of living since 1997, the same family is now below the poverty line. In 2005, a single mother with two children would have combined earnings and EITC of $14,177, or 11% below the 2005 poverty threshold of $15,735 for a family of three.
The minimum wage raises the wages of low-income workers in general, not just those below the official poverty line. Many families move in and out of poverty, and near-poor families are also beneficiaries of minimum wage increases.
The inflation-adjusted value of the minimum wage is 30% lower in 2006 than it was in 1979.

The effect of the last minimum wage increase in 1996-97 has been completely eroded by inflation.
$5.15 today is the equivalent of only $3.95 in 1995 — lower than the $4.25 minimum wage level before the 1996-97 increase.
There is no evidence of job loss from the last minimum wage increase.

A 1998 EPI study failed to find any systematic, significant job loss associated with the 1996-97 minimum wage increase. In fact, following the most recent increase in the minimum wage in 1996-97, the low-wage labor market performed better than it had in decades (e.g., lower unemployment rates, increased average hourly wages, increased family income, decreased poverty rates).
Studies of the 1990-91 federal minimum wage increase, as well as studies by David Card and Alan Krueger of several state minimum wage increases, also found no measurable negative impact on employment.
New economic models that look specifically at low-wage labor markets help explain why there is little evidence of job loss associated with minimum wage increases. These models recognize that employers may be able to absorb some of the costs of a wage increase through higher productivity, lower recruiting and training costs, decreased absenteeism, and increased worker morale.
A recent Fiscal Policy Institute (FPI) study of state minimum wages found no evidence of negative employment effects on small businesses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources
Appelbaum, Eileen, et al. 2004. The Minimum Wage and Working Women.

Bernstein, Jared, and Chauna Brocht. 2000. The Next Step: The New Minimum Wage Proposals and the Old Opposition. Washington, D.C.: Economic Policy Institute.

Bernstein, Jared, and John Schmitt. 1998 Making Work Pay: The Impact of the 1996-97 Minimum Wage Increase. Washington, D.C.: Economic Policy Institute.

Bernstein, Jared, and Isaac Shapiro. 2006. Buying Power of Minimum Wage at 51-Year Low. Washington, D.C.: Economic Policy Institute.

Bernstein, Jared, Heidi Hartmann, and John Schmitt. 1999. The Minimum Wage Increase: A Working Woman's Issue. Washington, D.C.: Economic Policy Institute.

Card, David. 1992. Using regional variation in wages to measure the effects of the federal minimum wage. Industrial and Labor Relations Review. Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 22-37.

Card, David, and Alan B. Krueger. 1994. Minimum wages and employment: a case study of the fast-food industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. American Economic Review. Vol. 84. No. 4. pp. 772-93.

Card, David, and Alan B. Krueger. 1995. Myth and Measurement: The New Economics of the Minimum Wage. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.

Card, David, and Alan B. Krueger. 2000. Minimum wages and employment: a case study of the fast-food industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania: reply. American Economic Review. Vol. 90, No. 5, pp. 1397-1420.

Chasanov, Amy. 2004. No Longer Getting By: An Increase in the Minimum Wage Is Long Overdue. Washington, D.C.: Economic Policy Institute.

EPI. 2000, 2005. Datazone.

Fiscal Policy Institute. 2004. State Mminimum Wages and Employment in Small Business. Available at www.fiscalpolicy.org.

Fortin and Lemiuex. 1996. As cited in Mishel, Lawrence, Jared Bernstein, and John Schmitt. The State of Working America 1998-99. Washington, D.C.: Economic Policy Institute.

Rasell , Edith, Jared Bernstein, and Heather Boushey. 2000. Step Up, Not Out: The Case for Raising the Federal Minimum Wage for Workers in Every State. Washington, D.C.: Economic Policy Institute.

Sawhill , Isabel, and Adam Thomas. 2001. "A Hand Up for the Bottom Third." Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution.

Thompson, Jeff. 1999. Oregon's Increasing Minimum Wage Brings Raises to Former Welfare Recipients and Other Low-Wage Workers Without Job Losses. Oregon Center for Public Policy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download the entire Issue Guide in PDF format

Link: http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/issue ... nwagefacts

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:51 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Good stuff. He wouldnt understand any of this. This is the same guy who loves Hannity, Gingrich, and Mann Cunter. He has also told me in the past that people on welfare and poverty deserve where they are. They chose that route. They chose not to go to school and get out of the "Ghetto". Well I think that him using "Ghetto" is refering to blacks. So obviously hes stereotyping blacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:08 am 

More whites on welfare than blacks, does he understand this? Well, that was a stupid question, wasn't it! Of course he doesn't understand anything beyond what his heros tell him.

I often think, wouldn't it be wonderful if the people who are so judgemental were to suddenly be placed in the situation of the people they hate? Poor education, dismal living conditions, often plagued with physical and/or psychological problems--and sneered at by the high and mighty, "If I can do it, you can too, so you must have chosen to be where you are."

Is ignorance an illness?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:28 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Well now he has. His wife got laid off. I dont want to sound positive like. Its not cool at all because Ive been there. But....Lessons lived are lessons learned. He tells me all the time how hes broke. ???????. The ponit I make is what goes around comes around. I hate that it happened but I want to see how he bounces back. He moped around all day today. Wasnt his cheery self. Its just funny how he was bashing poverty and unemployment last week and now he wants her to collect unemployment. Complete double standard you repukes have. YOU people make me sick. I think he said last week......people who are unemployed and broke deserve it because they chose that. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I havent brought that up and I wont right now. That will get you decked. Ive been there and I dont wish it on anyone. Except Bush. Id like to get that turd flushed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't watch reality television shows. In fact, I don't watch television very much at all except for a very few stations. Reality TV is a definite NO.

However, two ideas come to mind:

One, a reality television program in which a wealthy person has to live in poverty for the maximum time allowed on these types of shows.

Two, a reality television program in which a teacher-education basher has to "do the job" for at least a semester.

BUT, I'd love for every member of Congress who voted against the minimum wage increase, along with the people who are dependent on them for support, to have to live on a minimum wage income for at least 6 months.

Your colleague, justin, may learn from his experience and he may not. I'd lean towards not. He seems awfully arrogant and ignorant, just like his hero, Bush. That may be the only reason he likes him...they're just alike...same personality disorders.

Your colleague probably went home and blamed his wife personally for having been laid off. Do you know what his wife's job was?

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:30 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

No I dont but I know she was the bread winner. He was unemployed brfore he got hired by Dell. He claims to love Bush Because "He always does what he says hes going to do." "He sticks by his word.'' BAAAAARRFF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:35 am 

I would feel sorry for people like this if they weren't so dangerous!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

OK guys and gals circle up. This is where I come to vent so just bear and grin (however you spell bear). Anywho......I have been blessed with working with a, dare I say (gasp) re-pub-li-can. You all know that, OF COURSE. Myself and I was having a conversation with some fellow co workers who JUST happen to not like Bush. Theres five of us. Meself (yes I said meself) and four others. That was supposed to be funny.....a-n-y-w-a-y- all of us DO NOT like Bush except for you know (gasp) the republican, imagine that. This person happens to be quite nosy, or nosey (you get the point). A coworker and I were talking about rap music and we got on the subject of M&M. Oh sorry emineminem. Whatever THE WHITE GUY. My friend was telling me I should listen to his music because he makes jokes at Bush. Well nosy butt had to chime about that. "I hate him" he said. So I turned around and said " Oh if you dont agree with everything this administration does its not OK?" He sucked in some air and puffed his chest out and said real bodly "Yep!" I said "Are you serious?" He told me " You should always back your president?" OH YEAH OH YEAH you know what came next. Go ahead.....say it. "What about -------" fill in the blank. Thats right CLINTON. He rolled his eyes. "OH! You backed him up huh?" He didnt answer. I said " let me get this straight. You get a blow job and that sums up your whole career, even though you had the highst surpuls weve ever had, lowest unemployment weve ever had, Highest income per household we have ever had, lowest poverty rate in history, the first person to balance the budget in 50 years and thats noy good enough?" "Yeah, well we had terroist attacks on his whatch." I said "woa woa woa, hold on. Clinton was in office for 33 days when the first trade center bombing happened. Bush was in office for 911 and was briefed ahead of time." "911 was Clintons fault!" I said "let me get this straight. Clintons surplus and economic genius was because HW's plannig, the first trade center attack was Clintons fault, and 911 was Clintons fault also??? When does your FLYBOY take responsibility." "Well uh um technically 911 was on Bush's whatch, but it wasnt his fault. He had no warning." I said "NIETHER DID CLINTON" He just stood there. "Well I cant debate that." Oh yeah and by the way the only reason our economy dipped so bad was because Clinton handed it to Bush while it was going down already. So bush is in the clear on this one. AND I told him I bought all of the Dixie Chicks albums too. I dont like country but I bought them anyway. He rolled his eyes. "They're disgusting" he said. "They're not American". I asked him since I dont support Bush that Im UN American (since I wear a shirt with the flag on it all the time). He told me he thought I was a fine American just with different points of intrests. Dont get me wrong, I dont hate the man. Hes a good man just a little stubborn. Which Im 100% sure you could say the same with me. The difference is Ill listen to other points and argue them. I love to have discussions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:56 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Oh its been a rather fun week. Sorry I havent been here more. The Mrs had surgery this past week on Thurs. Was at the spital for a few days til Sat. Then I worked Sat, Sun, and Mon to make up for missing Fri. Been busy! Wife had a hysterectomy case you are wondering. Im no woman but I can see it aint fun! So Ive been fitting "ME" time in around her schedule. Ok its time again for the latest from work again. Finally got my stickers for my car. The new "used" car we had to get. The old one broke. Got my ol trusty "Impeach Bush", "W" with the slash through it, GOP Grand Oil Party from Moveon.org, and one with

Operation
Iraqi
Liberation = OIL

So my favorite repuke said to me (and I parked in front of him on purpose) "Interesting stickers on your car" I said to him " you shouldnt be offended your a libertarian remember". "Well Im more a republitarian" he said. I just looked at him and said " you cant make up your mind can you?" He asked what I meant. I said "well whoever is doing better week to week you stand behind that party". He said "well I never said I wasnt a republican." Now mind you this guy was loosing a discussion with me one day and he made it clear he was NOT a repukelican. I called him on that, and all he could say is "I dont remember saying that." I told him he and Bush had the worst memory ever.

He also wanted to bring up Lamont and Lie-berman. "I hate that lamont" he said. I asked him if he knew Lamont. "Well Ive heard him speak and hes an idiot. He just hates Bush. Hes a far left wing extremist. I just laughed. I said "If you dont know Lamont how can you hate him?" (yes Im a hypocrite, I dont know Bush but I hate him) I told him that Lie-berman voted 90% of the time with the democrats. The only thing that really seperates him is his stance on the war. So I asked him "why do you like Leiberman? Just because hes pro-war? Or because you like his views?" Thats where it ended folks. Nothing after that. Tune in next week same BAT time same BAT channel for those of you who remember that phrase.

Just an added note the Mrs is doing great and I give her all your love. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had begun to wonder where you were, justin. Good to have you back and my best wishes for a speedy recovery to your lady wife. No, hysterectomies aren't fun. Surgery of any kind is not fun. Of course, she deserves to be waited on and petted and told how wonderful and beautiful she is every day of the year, but especially after she's had surgery!

That awful man you have to work with...he's really drunk the kool-aid and continues to guzzle it down on a daily basis. No thoughts of his own, just those he's told to think by Liimpdick, O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter, Malkin, Beck, etc.

Keep us posted on your wife's recovery and on the work situation. By the way, did his wife get another job?

CAtherine

PS: Saw THIS at the Liberals Only board. Thought you'd enjoy it!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:33 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

NOPE! No job yet. But the economy is doing soooooo good. She shouldnt have a hard time finding a job. Oh wait.....he told me the other day that no one is hiring. Those damn liberals I tell ya. They must have taken all the jobs lately. Oh no wait a minute. We dont work. We go on welfare and live off the system, so it cant be those liberals. Maybe the economy isnt that great afterall. And to top it off.......shes pregnant. They're not married either. Im waiting to bring that issue up. They will really feel the strain now. Hes about to find out how the system REALLY works. Neither have kids yet and both been divorced once. He bitches about being broke all the time. I dont get him. Im going to shock him one day and ask if he needs help. Then he'll see how liberals really are. See, WE for some reason after being kicked in the arse and dragged through the mud we still will give the shirt off our backs to someone who needs help. Ill help just to prove a point, well and to the fact I actually care, too. I know how it is to be down. Broke, no job, and ready to have a child. It sucks. Thank the govt for WIC (sorry shane). Im a sucker for those in need. We have an on going problem here with people on the exit ramps to the highways asking "will work for food" or something to that effect. I always give them money. The way I see it.......I know how it feels. If they are lying, well its bad karma, what goes around comes around. If they are not lying then it helps. Like I said before I live right smack in the middle of Dayton and Cincinnati. About 30 miles either way. So alot of people end up here. When I was younger I worked at KFC. They used to throw away sooooo much food every night. I asked my boss if I could take to the Hope House which is a homeless shelter. She told me no because they will get dependant on us and expect a handout every night. I didnt understand the logic. We throw it out. So I used to take the food and I guess steal it if thats what you call it. I would put it all in a box and go to the drive up window and drop it outside the window. Then drive around and pick it up. I was 15 and doing this everynight. I worked there until I was 17 and did it just about every night. See there I go on another tangent. Im done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:55 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Kinda got bad news last week at work. My fellow repukes fiance lost her baby. She miscarried I guess at 4 weeks. It got quite fun though Sunday. We have hired a couple more people and someone brought up Spike Lees new movie. Well he had something to say about that. Clinton cut FEMA's funding so its not Bush's fault about Katrina. Those people were told to leave and they stayed. I asked how were they supposed to leave. He said they could have left on the buses they provided. I said the buses that never left for New Orleans. I asked how you put 2 million people on buses when roads were closed. But to make a long story short I work with 8 people in my area. 7 Bush haters and I Bush lover. It turned into a Bush bashing conversation and my friend left. He got mad and left. He stood at a listening distaance away and acted like he was working but was listening and I was watching him. I got louder and louder. I guess you could call me the cheerleader of politics there. I talk non stop politics. When I get people who tell me they dont care about politics I tell them thats the reason why we are where we are. A no vote is a vote for the winner. Then they think about it and say you are right. Then they get involved. I dont care which way they go just get involved. Since Im not allowed to carry around voter registration cards in this state anymore I cant sign people up anymore. Thanks Blackwell and Taft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry about the baby. Even though he's a repulsive Republican, miscarriages are difficult and I"m sorry this happened to him and his fiance.

Is this man daft or just resistant to the truth? You work so hard to let him hear and discuss the dangers of the Bush administration. He's got to THINK about what you're saying, justin. Then, he goes home in a "weakened" state, turns on Faux News, and gets another fix.

I swear, there ought to be government-funded rehab programs for those who still believe Bush and the neocons are good for America...AFTER Bush is sent back to Texas. The brainwashing has been so successful, it may take several generations before the full effects are removed from our culture. I don't think there's been anything like the idiocy that has a hold on our nation since the Salem Witch Trials.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:05 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

He looooooves Fox News. Look how long Reagans been gone and people still love him and his Reaganomics. I bet the air traffic controllers looooove him.