It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about running for president.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:47 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Is there a stipulation in the constitution that says after you serve as president for 2 terms, then legally change your name and run again. Could you do it? Dont ask me why I thought of this. Just wondered. Id like to see Clinton clean up another shrub. Wheres some roundup when you need some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:38 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

He doesn't even have to change his name the wording of the particular amendment in question specifically prohibits a president more than two CONSECUTIVE terms. All he has to do is sit out one term than he can technically run again. Of course most anybody who sits it out that long tends not to have much chance of being elected again, but I'd welcome Clinton back if he ran again and a lot of people I know would too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:52 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Don't worry. Bush is going to declare it to be "special circumstances" in a time of war and remain in office.
:pukeleft: :pukeright: :bootyshake: :banghead: :sad5: :violent2: :protest: :evil1: :cussing: :evil2: :angry5: :angryfire: :cwm21: :pain10:

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject: That's What I worry about
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:31 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

That is one of my biggest worries, because I'm fairly certain that he is arrogant and stupid enough to try it and that the highest rank of his supporters are so enamored of their current power that they would do anything to retain it.

Doing such a thing, suspending elections because of "special circumstances" is just the sort of thing that could kick off a civil war in this country and it worries me to no end. Even during WW2 Elections didn't stop, the conclusion may have been forgone do to sentiment but they were held. On both sides of the political spectrum the politicians have fostered an antagonistic viewpoint that has pushed Americans further away from each other.

Polarized them into camps that become increasingly unable to co-exist or compromise. Just the sort of atmosphere that started our last civil war. Most history teachers never really talk about the work up to the War Between The States, but in the end it boiled over because people were convinced that the political process had shut them out and would act against their interests without giving them any say.

Right now America is polarized in ways it hasn't been since that time. Even during Vietnam things were different, I'm not sure how to explain it but the 'feeling' I guess you could say was less hatefully raw. Even then while there was discord and it could get violent the attitude towards the President and Congress wasn't really hateful. But now on both sides there is a significant amount of very raw hatred being aimed at both the institutions of power and the people who hold them from all sides.

I can practically smell the potential for such a thing to erupt if any side were to take an action their opponents believed would actually shut them out of the political process. And it frightens me because I love this country and I don't want to see that sort of thing happen here. We would all lose and it would be a terrible thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:28 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

What's that smell in the air? Revolution? Fear not- revolution has always been the stimulus for change. Lets hope it's for the better. it may even be one at the ballot box this time, as people make reps listen to them for once.

The worst thing that could happen is that our leaders sic the pigs and dogs of war on us, throwing the country into a state of authoritarianistic tyranny that would prove that we are no different than other dictatorships. The truth of our democratic society may be just a stones throw away.

Anarchy may be the only solution to real change for the better, so fear only the evil that the government, in its ignorance of what the people want, decides that its goals outweigh the voice of the people. Then America slips into the state you describe. Stopping Bush and Co. is the #1 priority of 06/08, but installing people who understand the needs of our society and what the people want is our #1 concern. Make sure those Dems understand that they have to do what you want of them. Like Lamont, they should be willing to answer the tough questions and tread the difficult path that brings America back on course.

Welcome eternalwanderer.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yes Welcome! I fell exactly as you do. I feel your pain and I am in fear of it also. I have grandchildren and I want them to grow up in a safe and sane world. I don't want them to see war of any kind.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

eternalwanderer, Welcome to TVNL...maybe you've found a place you'll like and settle down!!!! :D

One of the reasons the former presidents have never tried to run again, IMHO, is the fact that they make more money keeping that FORMER title. They take their "papers" and write their memoirs. They build their libraries in homage to themselves, they get to play all the golf, do all the fishing, play on the high seas on yachts (their own or their friends') all they want, and they get paid big money just to make a speech at some black-tie gathering. They're still treated by the public as though they're still the White House resident. It's a throwback to our nostalgia for English rule, I guess! Goes back to pre-Revolutionary days!

In the eyes of the country, these men are still "president." It's such a show of "respect," it borders on what other countries give to their royal rulers.

Bush isn't like any of the other presidents, though.

He's an idiot, a power-hungry mongrel who likes to cheat, lie, steal, and kill. We've never had a psychopath for president before. We've never had a president who has been able to get away with breaking laws and stomping on the Constitution like this president has.

Bush has been a failure at everything he's ever tried throughout his entire life, so I don't think he's going to go gently into that good night. I will not be surprised if he doesn't try to pull off some kind of coup that will allow him to stay in power, even for a few more months, after he should've been issued his one way ticket back to Crawford.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
He's an idiot, a power-hungry mongrel who likes to cheat, lie, steal, and kill. We've never had a psychopath for president before. We've never had a president who has been able to get away with breaking laws and stomping on the Constitution like this president has.

Bush has been a failure at everything he's ever tried throughout his entire life, so I don't think he's going to go gently into that good night. I will not be surprised if he doesn't try to pull off some kind of coup that will allow him to stay in power, even for a few more months, after he should've been issued his one way ticket back to Crawford.

You seem to not like him very much!!! :twisted:

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
You seem to not like him very much!!!

Naw...you think? :lol: :P :wink: :twisted: :P 8)

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman