It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Many jobs here for you in BC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:21 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Things are really booming here in BC if you are looking for work. So much construction I can hardly move around in my courier business anymore. Lots of construction jobs available, plus many others as well. Even in my own company I would get a bounty of 300 dollars or something like that to refer a potential courier to work for us. Good times here in BC, unlike the past. Strong housing market and the Olympics in 2010 are helping out as well. Here is a little government propaganda site for you. If you are coming bring a hammer and some nails.

Our government says:

http://www.gov.bc.ca/bvprd/bc/content.d ... D_province

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:36 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

what's the cost of living up there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:31 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

mga wrote:
what's the cost of living up there?

MGA,

Thank you for expressing an interest in our Province.

You can google BC Government site to get a feel for economic conditions here, etc. From googling I got this site which shows cost of living here and may be useful.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:waJ ... lnk&cd=140

Just One More Thing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:44 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

what kind of courier are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:50 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

My wife and I have been talking seriously about moving out of the US. Since we live in NY we have been talking about Kingston Ontario. Which would still be close enough for me to come to get my VA health care if necessary.

Not sure though and have not explored the things necessary to completely move to Canada. Had a friend that lived in Kingston, which I could find her again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:22 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

DarkKnight2 wrote:
My wife and I have been talking seriously about moving out of the US. Since we live in NY we have been talking about Kingston Ontario. Which would still be close enough for me to come to get my VA health care if necessary.

Not sure though and have not explored the things necessary to completely move to Canada. Had a friend that lived in Kingston, which I could find her again.

DarkKnight2,

I am in the same day/rush messenger business. Since 1987. I deliver time sensitive documents for law firms and small packages for businesses like architects, construction companies ( big part of business now ), and some government organizations as well. We even have a major food supplier to restaurants as a major account. All very time specific deliveries. We like to deliver things on time and that is our policy in our company. But, it is hard to do now with increased traffic and construction. Almost impossible most of the time now. My geographic area is about 60 miles from downtown Vancouver all the way out to Chilliwack. See map here:

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Maps/?id=6

I was born in Vancouver. I am one of the few originals here. That is not a joke. There is a lot of immigration here. It is very pleasant weather here generally, except for the rainy season starting tomorrow and ending in the Spring, maybe in March or April.

The cost of living has always considered to be high here, especially as a result of the high degree of unionization in previous times. Things are starting to even out now though. Housing has always been expensive and demand is very strong now. There has recently been an upsurge in house pricing as well. The economy is more diversified.

Many people have good jobs and live well and have nice houses. Like eveywhere else, I suppose, more than one family member contributes to the cause. Taxes are seen to be high, but the social benefits are alive and well. There are pocket of poverty and homelessness as well. This really surprises me because the economy is so strong now, especially housing. These unskilled people now have an opportunity of a life time to make things happen. I am surprised the government is not more active here.

Health care is never a worry in Canada , except delivery sometimes. But, no one loses their home because of sickness, unlike in the US. Everybody is guranteed some king of coverage. LIke myself. Recently my Medicare costs were zip. But, I just filed my income tax and got the statement back which the Medicare system monitors and now I am really being hit with a big bill. My monthly medical premiums are now $10.80 per month. Can you imagine that?

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:00 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Kingston is nice and historic. You get a lot of snow there from lake effect. Cold windy, Prefer the west coast to it even if it does rain all winter. Summers and fall make up for it. Lived in Ottawa but moved to the Island in '91.

Stuck on an island in the pacific and don't want to get off.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.