It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

The cat came into our room this morning meowing funny. We got up, and came downstairs to see what was going on. We noticed immediately, that our downstairs bedroom door was open (we had closed it the night before), and went in to find that the window had been broken into. Someone had pryed open the window and the screen was laying on the floor. We did a quick walkthrough of the house to find that nothing had been taken. My three computers, tvs, playstation, xbox, gamecube...nothing was missing. It's nice that nothing was taken, but it's really freaky knowing that somebody was walking around our place last night...and for what?
One of my indoor cats got out, but thankfully came back soon after we awoke. We talked to the neighbor this morning, and he told us that somebody was trying to get in his back door last night. Wonderful, huh? And you know, while this person was inside last night, my dog never barked once! Anyways, felt like sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

How is the new dog doing?

Seriously that is scary that they did not take anything. I would diffently be calling ADT or Brinks to put a alarm system in. Is it possible that whom ever it was never gained access to the house? Maybe they broke the window and got scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good advice, DK! Alarms are a must nowadays.

I wouldn't be without some kind of weapon, jobot, that is readily at hand, especially for the next few days or weeks....people are mean, and getting worse all the time. Also, perhaps you and your boyfriend could camp out, self-defense weapons at hand, in a place near to the window that was used as access to your house in case the intruders happen to come back.

I do hope you called the police, too...they might send some extra patrols on your street.

Grab a copy of Judgement Ridge and read about the ruses a couple of teenagers used to gain access to the home of Dartmouth College professors Susanne and Half Zantop. The first chapter of the book is the most chilling...and the most telling because we're all guilty of being far too trusting by opening our doors to strangers who are asking for help in the middle of the night.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

After breaking through the window, you have to go through that bedroom door to get into the rest of the house. That door had been closed before we went to bed the night before, so they had to of come in the window and through it. :/ ...Like I said, nothing was missing...and the only thing different this morning was a hole in one of the backdoor blinds. (It was def not there before). It looks lilke a, don't laugh, bullet hole. I mean, it's a really clean break. :? Very strange... My dog's not new. I've had her for about 11 years...she's 14. And yes, we'll be looking into alarm systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

My boyfriend's gonna keep a bat next to him at night, and I think I'll get a knife to keep. :wink: Camping out's a good idea, too, tx. I'm nervous to go to bed, honestly. We called the townhouse management to let them know, but they won't be back in 'till Monday. We decided not to call the police. I know once you make a report with the police, they also have your information and 'investigate,' and we weren't looking for any special attention. If anything had been taken, we absolutely would have called. And a crazy thing...two cops live in my complex, one of which is only six or so houses down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:48 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

they make these little alarms that go on doors and windows and when they excite, believe me, the sound will drive you crazy...battery operated and very easy to install. well worht it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:38 pm 

Wow that's scarey. I'm glad you guys are ok and, Jobot.....if you haven't already....get new toothbrushes.