It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:42 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

In this case, because of the amount of debt he has occured, will the house still be able to be passed down when he is no longer around? How does that work?
My step-dad and mom own a few properties in MO, where they live, and plan on splitting up the properties, one to each of us kids, when they die. I also know, though, that my mom is very bad with money. I know she has a ton of debt, and I was worried about that aspect. I don't believe that someone should inherit someone else's debt (which is what I'd been told up to now). I also was not sure about how that would work though, if you own property, but have debt. Do they use the property to pay off the debt, or are they completely unrelated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:50 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

CrimsonEagle wrote:
I'm by no means rich, just very frugal, or as my wife likes to put it, a cheap bastard :lol:

At least you can take care of what needs to be taken care of though. I mean, I hope, and I'm sure, you buy your wife whatever she needs and wants, but there's so many people out there who just don't know how to handle money. I, personally, keep track of everything I spend. I keep my cash receipts, my debit receipts, my credit receipts (I just got my first credit card!), and my check receipts together. I do this to make sure I'm not getting ripped off, for one, and to make sure I have enough money for the things I'd like to buy.
One big strain on my bf's and my relationship for the past four years, is the fact that he doesn't. I wish that money wasn't an issue, but when you don't keep track of it or plan ahead, it always ends up being an issue.
...anyways, all I planned on saying in response to what you said was going to be, "Buy your wife nice things!" hehe :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:50 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

From what I understand, if you want the place to stay in the family, and there is a debt owed, you will either have to pay the debt or the banks will sell off the property pay off the debts and then the family will be able to split what is left, if anything. You are not responsible for the debt's in this aspect, they debts cannot be taken from YOUR pocket, but the banks will get what they are owed through selling off the assets of the deceased if you cannot afford, or do not want to pay out of your pocket. If I remember, I'll double check on this, but I'm pretty sure this is the way it works.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:52 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

That is how it is on Ohio. Everything is sold and the family splits what is left over. If money is owed on a property - you can bet the bank is going to get their's.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't forget to add in the cost of funerals nowadays...We paid out over $14,000 for both of my parents' funerals from our inheritance. They had burial insurance but it paid $250. We were lucky...the money was there to pay for their funerals, but what if it hadn't been?

Cremation is much, much cheaper, but our parents had specified that they wanted burial in their church cemetary. Coffins are very expensive, and most states also require the purchase of a vault. Then there's the tombstone...both names on it...which was about $800. Mom had picked it out just before her own death.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman