It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The most moving thing ive ever read
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:18 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

... Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

(From Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space by Carl Sagan, Random House, 1994)

This narrow-angle color image of the Earth, dubbed 'Pale Blue Dot', is a part of the first ever 'portrait' of the solar system taken by Voyager 1. The spacecraft acquired a total of 60 frames for a mosaic of the solar system from a distance of more than 4 billion miles from Earth and about 32 degrees above the ecliptic. From Voyager's great distance Earth is a mere point of light, less than the size of a picture element even in the narrow-angle camera. Earth was a crescent only 0.12 pixel in size. Coincidentally, Earth lies right in the center of one of the scattered light rays resulting from taking the image so close to the sun. This blown-up image of the Earth was taken through three color filters -- violet, blue and green -- and recombined to produce the color image. The background features in the image are artifacts resulting from the magnification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:36 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

and to think that it all started with a collision of two lifeless planets...one earth, the other, being disintegrated upon impact, later became the moon.

had it not been for that stroke of luck, we would not be here today and earth would be just another barren planet like all the rest.

what are the chances of that happening? obviously, not very good because so far, no other life has been found...yet....even billions of miles away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:20 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

mga wrote:
and to think that it all started with a collision of two lifeless planets...one earth, the other, being disintegrated upon impact, later became the moon.

had it not been for that stroke of luck, we would not be here today and earth would be just another barren planet like all the rest.

what are the chances of that happening? obviously, not very good because so far, no other life has been found...yet....even billions of miles away.

I somehow knew you would understand mga!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:26 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

i'm into that stuff kinda....i find it rather fascinating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's kind of like you and me...if we hadn't won the sperm race, we might be someone else entirely...or not here at all. 8)

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:18 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
It's kind of like you and me...if we hadn't won the sperm race, we might be someone else entirely...or not here at all. 8)

Catherine

I like that. The sperm race. May the best man win. I guess the best man does always win. And, sometimes he creates a woman in the process too. But, he can also create another man as well. Is it all just chance or is it just some big game that has been played over and over again. When you are dealing with eternity most likely everything that has happened has happened many times over and over again. Somewhere in the annals of eternity there is another Just One More Thing and another just like you. And, I bet you thought you were special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:27 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

see...now i don't buy that. i believe we're like the proverbial snow flake: no two are alike. i have never bought into the suggestion that there's a "twin" of me walking around somewhere. some one may appear to look like me, but that's about it.

so...that being said...here we are, the product of billions of years of evolution, and we're destroying the world around us either by war or by polution. one has to wonder where man will be in another million or so years from now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:10 am 
Hear Me Roar!

mga wrote:
see...now i don't buy that. i believe we're like the proverbial snow flake: no two are alike. i have never bought into the suggestion that there's a "twin" of me walking around somewhere. some one may appear to look like me, but that's about it.

so...that being said...here we are, the product of billions of years of evolution, and we're destroying the world around us either by war or by polution. one has to wonder where man will be in another million or so years from now.

mga,

but consider this. If eternity does exist and there is no reason to believe that it didn't then ANYTHING is possible. Including the identical creation of things. don't forget you have time on your side as it were. Isn't it an interesting thing for example that earth appears as a tiny speck in the universe, the only planet that has human life on it. But, many believe that there are other planets out there, maybe even some just like ours. Why can't there be something identical to our situation if eternity does in fact exist? It is within the concept of eternity that everything and anything is possible. If it wasn't then man would have no use for the concept of eternity and he would be forced to create something else to believe in. A mathematical l improbability you say? Well, inifinity goes on forever. Just like the ability of something like duplication to occur, exactly. You either have to accept this fact or be forced to choose in the idea that God created the whole thing and that it is not possible. Are you willing to take on that risk in the process? I think it is religion that gave us these thoughts and made us believe that we are special. But, just how special are you? When you compare yourself to eternity, I mean. If man has calculated, for example, that it takes 14 million times to insure his win in a 6/49 lottery jackpot why cannot he do the same for the odds in the eternity of things being able to reproduce something exactly? And, I mean exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:10 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

simply because our existance on earth is by mere chance. like i stated before, it took a collision of two worlds to create life on this planet. we, the plants, and other animals are just the present product of that fateful day.

granted, if somewhere else in the universe if two planets also collided and life was also created, there is no chance in hell that it happened the exact time as the earth did. that being the case, either life on this "other earth" never evolved as we have, or it evolved into something entirely different than we did on earth.

UFO's , aliens, etc etc are only man's creation of hopes that maybe there might also be life out there. but, to have life as we know it or how we might imagine it...i doubt it very much.

we have explored systems measured in light years. as we all know, light years is the amount of miles traveling at the speed of light for one year. it's almost impossible to grasp, but when something is millions of light years away, then it might as well never exist.

as for anything being "eternal"....i believe that's an impossibility...physics doesn't allow for anything to be "eternal". again, only man creates eternal objects..like gods or other ficticious things like that. the earth is billions of years old, to us, that might be eternal, but even the earth will someday meet it's demise, as will the sun and everything else.

Last edited by mga on Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remember the story of the eagle coming along every million years and removing a grain of sand as an illustration of eternity?

Yet, eventually, even that process will end...

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: The Spaceship Moon Theory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:02 pm 
You know, the moon is a spaceship; it was built, then parked in orbit around the earth. That's why eclipses happen. Remember Star Wars?

"I swear to God, man! Check it out!"

Post subject: Re: The Spaceship Moon Theory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:03 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

GlassRace wrote:
You know, the moon is a spaceship; it was built, then parked in orbit around the earth. That's why eclipses happen. Remember Star Wars?

"I swear to God, man! Check it out!"

ok...i'll bite: built by whom?

Post subject: Re: The Spaceship Moon Theory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:10 pm 
mga wrote:
built by whom?

Yeah . . .

Well, if you ever get your hands on Marrs' Alien Agenda, it's all in the first chapter. To go sick deep, check out Dr. Steven Greer and The Disclosure Project. The interview he gave to Controversial News blew me away, to say the least. But that's getting off the moon and the pale blue dot specifically. The truth is until we can have global political freedom for all humans living on this Pale Blue Dot, it's very difficult for us to get serious answers to serious questions, like if the moon was "built," then by whom?

Creeping along, the age of belief dissolves into the age of knowledge. :P

"Ask questions, demand answers."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:49 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

hmmm....and since "moon rocks" that were brought back, are of the same composition of earth, i guess maybe they used parts?

in my above post, i stated that the moon was created by a collision with earth. the resulting debris from two colliding planets eventually ended up being the moon. the fact that the rocks are the same supports this fact.

however, the lack of atmoshere, temperature differences, etc etc make the moon appear different. if the earth cooled like the moon, and if there was no atmosphere, we'd probably look the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:24 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

mga wrote:
simply because our existance on earth is by mere chance. like i stated before, it took a collision of two worlds to create life on this planet. we, the plants, and other animals are just the present product of that fateful day.

granted, if somewhere else in the universe if two planets also collided and life was also created, there is no chance in hell that it happened the exact time as the earth did. that being the case, either life on this "other earth" never evolved as we have, or it evolved into something entirely different than we did on earth.

UFO's , aliens, etc etc are only man's creation of hopes that maybe there might also be life out there. but, to have life as we know it or how we might imagine it...i doubt it very much.

we have explored systems measured in light years. as we all know, light years is the amount of miles traveling at the speed of light for one year. it's almost impossible to grasp, but when something is millions of light years away, then it might as well never exist.

Quote:
as for anything being "eternal"....i believe that's an impossibility...physics doesn't allow for anything to be "eternal". again, only man creates eternal objects..like gods or other ficticious things like that. the earth is billions of years old, to us, that might be eternal, but even the earth will someday meet it's demise, as will the sun and everything else.

MGA,

Just to play the devils advocate, of course. How can the universe be anything but eternal? Let us say you get to the end of the universe finally after travelling for a couple of million years or so. Just pretending of course and you have the technology to be an "eternal" time traveller. Anyhow, you finally get to the end of the universe and you find a giant stop sign on a wall. The sign says:

You have reached the end of the universe.

What is beyond the wall?