All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:24 am 

The beginning of the universe!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:53 am 
Hear Me Roar!

I really think we humans are lucky creatures. To be alive I mean. And, to be able to think. There may be a god you know. I have just decided that at the present time there is not. It is a temporary thought in my mind. But, you just have to consider the idea of infinity. What does it mean? Well, it means what is says. Forever and ever. Some human being thought up the idea of eternity, infinity, or whatever. And, now we are stuck with the idea. It just cannot escape us.

But, if you truly accept the notion of infiniteness then you have to accept the fact that the tiny little dot shown at the beginning of this thread is just one of an infinite number of dots just like that one. How could anything else be true, if infinity did not exist? But, then of course we are stuck with the problem of who or what created infinity. That is the real crux of the problem isn't it? LIke a god did. But, then who created god, etc. But, you see the problems developing of course. These questions have been around since the dawn of man. No one knows. And, maybe they weren't supposed to either. That would take all of the fun out of it don't you think?

Here is a question for you. Do you think if you had all of the answers to life's mysteries that you would be a happier person? LIke knowing the exact date and time of your death and what happens after that. Would you really want to know that? Maybe that is what life really is supposed to be. A big mystery. It is what defines our character after all. We just don't know because we are not supposed to know. And, letting you in on the secret would just spoil the game. What do you think of that as an explanation for life?

If you believe there is no god and many do you are left to develop theories on your own. You have to construct something to explain the universe and everything in it without identifying a deity that caused it all to happen. Can you do that? Well, you have to don't you, if you do not believe in god, I mean. You have to construct an argument along the lines of saying that the matter that is evident in the universe is where all of your thinking capacity originates from. You just have to do that otherwise you are forced to take the easy way out and believe in a god. Now, Christians most likely just burst out laughing listening to this kind of talk because they know that god created everything anyway and you are just wasting your time in thinking otherwise. They are content in their wisdom. And, they may be right. No one knows for sure. Not even them. But, the atheist has to do a little extra work and construct arguments saying that all consciousness, all thought and ideas come from matter like rocks and minerals and any other phenomena found in abundance througout the universe. And, he would be correct would he not? Because the human animal is just a bunch of matter. A bunch of matter that had as an aid the idea of infinity to produce such a creature by accident. Infinity can do that because inifinity can accomplish anything it wants. Infinity has an indefinte amount of time to do things. LIke making matter think. A bunch of molecules and atoms came together and somehow consciousness was allowed to develop. In its most base form what has happened is that matter was able to see itself. And, after that it had to have the abiltiy to develop ideas. It had to organize or conceptualize these visions of feelings if it could not see. Maybe a plant could think too if it just had eyes to see as well as feel. A fish can think I bet. He makes decisions all of the time. Dogs and cats think too. And, they even have emotions. Somebody or something gave these creatures, including man the ability to think. Two things for sure are responsible for this. One is matter and the other is time. So, it looks to me as if you put time and matter together anything is possible. And, it most likely is. If the thoughts that I am having right now. Word for word. And idea for idea have never happened before in the history or the future of time then infinity does not exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:09 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
Here is a question for you. Do you think if you had all of the answers to life's mysteries that you would be a happier person? LIke knowing the exact date and time of your death and what happens after that. Would you really want to know that? Maybe that is what life really is supposed to be. A big mystery. It is what defines our character after all. We just don't know because we are not supposed to know. And, letting you in on the secret would just spoil the game. What do you think of that as an explanation for life?

is that what the "answer to life" is? to know the exact time of one's death? what about people who are told they are terminally ill? they have a better understanding when they are going to die. does this mean they have the "answers"?

the question of life isn't the end of it, but the beginning. and, for some, it's the mere existance....as if they need to know why they are alive.

we're simply an advanced form of animal life on earth. but for a few events in evolution, it could have very well been apes who ended up thinking as we do and we could have been hanging out in trees. however, evolution designed us not to swing from a branch. in another billion years, who knows what animal will take our place?

i believe our existance was one of mere chance and that no god or gods put it all together, especially in 7 days or less. when man didn't understand science thousands of years ago, and they wondered the same thing as we do now, their only explanation was that some god did it, or that some god was causing it. they thought heaven was above the clouds, even tho today we now know that to be non-sense. a volcano was an angry god punishing people, or a violent storm was the wrath of a god, or a locust swarm was sent to punish, etc etc . even tho some people prefer to still believe that today, we all know, in reality, why those things happen because we have evolved more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:42 am 

Mga, it is still a temptation to believe their is some 'god' punishing us when we are in the middle of a natural phenomenon--even after all the science we have access to.

If we think that way in times of trouble, how can we not expect cave men and their offspring thought any other way? They wanted anwers too.

I am comfortable with questions, most people are not.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid