It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need To Vent
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

My boyfriend got off work tonight, only to tell me that the paycheck he received from work on Friday, 12 days late...bounced. We were already broke for the last few days because of him getting paid late, and now this!
My boyfriend's quite depressed about the situation and decided just to go to bed for the night. ..My head's steaming.
Fifteen people had checks bounce on them. Work paychecks! That's so unacceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What kind of work does your boyfriend do, jobot?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

He's a game programmer. ...started working for "this company" back in April. They moved him out here to FL a couple months back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

With fifteen others receiving bad checks, your boyfriend should have lots of company to start asking some hard-nosed questions asap. Good luck, and keep us apprised of how he handles this.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:04 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Ok, here's how payday works: Each month they submit to their publisher an updated version of their game. He pays the company manager, and then the manager pays the programmers. This usually happens on the 15th of the month, but the last few months it's been getting moved farther and farther towards the end of the month. So there's also this 15 day gap which he's owed money for...he was planning on asking the manager to make this up, but wants to wait now until he's in a better mood and has his paycheck. Good choice, in my opinion. Hopefully this morning they will get new checks, that don't bounce, otherwise we're going to be pretty screwed. We have overdue bills, some of which are re-due by today, rent due, etc., etc. ...ahhh, the stress. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:06 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

now might be a good time for him and a few others to think of starting their own business. with 15 people to choose from, there's alot of talent there to do programming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Ya, he's been thinking about that recently since his manager's had a slight attitude change. About three years ago he independantly made a computer game, non-profit. He's just recently started a new one that he plans on selling...so, as far as I know, he's gonna stick it out 'till then, which'll probably be 6 months. He's also thought of taking some of the 15 people with him. ..but I personally see him working independantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:08 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

sounds like he knows what he's doing....why waste the talent working for someone else?

my personal feelings is that computer animation is going to eventually take over hollywood. the way graphics are these days, it's almost getting hard to tell a computerized person from a real. and, as technology gets better, the day will come when you won't tell the difference between the two.

so, why would hollywood pay millions to an actor/actress when they can design their own? movie stars are going to be a thing of the past soon.