It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: political calls
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:23 am 

Ok, not sure about any of you, but I detest any type sales or political phone calls. So with the onslaught of the elections I've started to receive political solicitation and poll calls. I was able to try out my new tactic tonight, which I might add worked perfectly!
*phone ringing
-hello
*Hi this is mary. I'm a volunteer for the xxx party calling on behalf of "candidate x" hoping that we can count on your vote this next tues!
-my reply- "well actually I've been keeping a running poll of what party is calling me the most, and since I really dislike soliciation calls, I've decided to vote straight across the board for the party that calls me the least.
* "oh" says mary. " So who's called you the most so far?"
Now of course I have to say the party she is calling for, XXX, which I tell her means at this point I'll be voting straight down the line of her opposing party!
she hung up.

It was so fun! Worked perfectly. I wonder how many other times I get to do this. :lol: Of course I will say the same thing no matter what party calls. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't mind solicitation calls IF they're coming from the folks who are volunteering their time and effort to try to take back the country from the Repubs. In fact, I appreciate them.

I haven't gotten a solicitation call from the Repubs in a long time. I like to think it's because they know they're wasting their time calling my number, as I keep the 50 Questions To Ask Republicans close at hand, and they don't want to be exposed to them anymore.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:16 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I'm so glad I don't get solicitation calls on my cell...no home phone, thank "god."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:38 pm 

I sure hope telemarketers and such really don't get the go ahead to start calling cell phones. That would be even worse to eat up cell phone minutes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I just watched the piece Olbermann had on these political calls and had no idea just how low it stooped! They talked about how the calls are repeated if you hang up before listening to it all, and how it starts off with the opposing side's name (the Democrat's) so that people who do hang up before listening to it all only hear that name, and conclude that the call was from that person. Also, threatening people to not vote because they're registered in some other state or such...
He also talked about how the Democrats are going to be going after the Republicans for this after the elections are over. It's harassment, illegal, etc. ..and yet they're doing it. ...In some states, the penalty for this is $500 per call. Like he said, hopefully they'll bankrupt the Republicans. haha :roll:

Anyone catch that piece?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've only received calls that I appreciated. I didn't get one call that was similar to what others have experienced. :shock: Glad for it, but it's pretty strange.

We got a call this morning, which my husband answered, asking us if we'd voted and, if we had not, did we have any questions about the process or if we needed transportation, etc. My husband said we'd just returned from the polling place and hadn't experienced any problems. That was it....thanks were exchanged and we went on about our business.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman