It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Do
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:14 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Some people feel the need to deceive on the Internet?

There have been times when people have said they were one thing and it turned out they were something else entirely.

Why is there a need to lie about where you live, how you live and in some cases what gender you are. I have met people who said they were men and actually were woman and met woman who said they were men.

Of course there is no real way of telling who is who, but eventually the lie that was created gets so big that people start to slip up.

Just wondering what others think about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:35 am 

I've wondered about this myself. I've always been of the thinking that one of the things that is so great about the net is you can actually be all of who you are. You can finally say those things you've always thought, you can finally admit you are a crazy cat lady, or a piercing freak or whatever. And whatever it is, I am sure you can find a group of other people like you--who will like you for what you are. I've tried out several different forums, went quickly through a lot of them because I didn't feel like "myself" was a good fit there...then just moved on to the next place. Luckily, I have found a place I feel comfortable and am fully able to be myself. I can express opinions--likes, dislikes, etc-- and not worry about how that makes me look or what others may say about me. The anonymity of the internet is awesome because we can truly be honest about shit we've never be able to be honest about before.

All that being said, I have also fallen prey to people who weren't honest about things and quite foolishly ended up having my feelings hurt. Of course, I have learned now and am FAR more reserved in whom I would actually consider a friend on the net nowadays, so I guess the anonyimity can go both ways. One can see it as the freedom to be true, or the freedom to deceive, take your pick. I, though, would like to believe that the majority of people are honest about things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I agree lefty, when I was young on the Internet almost ten years ago. I got involved with a person online. We talked exchanged emails etc and I found out that this person that I thought was a woman, turned out to be a middle aged man.

You can be anything you want like you said, but, why would somebody lie about their gender? That to me just does not make sense. Oh I can understand why a woman would make like a man and that would to maybe be taken more seriously in some post, but, after a time they should come clean and explain why it was done. But a man pretending to be a woman makes no sense at all.

Unless they think the old tale about what woman talk about when alone comes to mind. LOL What do you gals talk about when your alone?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think people who lie about their looks, their possessions, their jobs, their gender, their age, etc on the net are very seriously disturbed. They're not accepting of themselves in real life nor are they accepting of others who aren't what they want them to be. They're control freaks, in my opinion. They like to indulge their fantasies online to an audience that might be fooled for awhile.

But, the longer a person tries to employee this type of subterfuge online within the same group of people, the more likely it is that the lying person will be unmasked and exposed sooner rather than later. If a person is doing this online at chatrooms and discussion boards, it'd be best if they didn't linger too long at any one site or another...they'll relax and suddenly bam! They'll post something that will show them up for what they really are.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Last edited by Catherine on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:38 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

lefty wrote:
I've wondered about this myself. I've always been of the thinking that one of the things that is so great about the net is you can actually be all of who you are. ... The anonymity of the internet is awesome because we can truly be honest about shit we've never be able to be honest about before. .

I totally agree. I don't understand the point in lying in general, but especially when you don't even have to be face to face with the person. What's the harm in telling the truth?
I guess people just do it looking for a little excitement. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:41 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

How would it create excitment? Nobody is meeting face to face. It is simply words on a computer monitor.

Is the excitment coming from the deceiving?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:44 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

DarkKnight2 wrote:
How would it create excitment? Nobody is meeting face to face. It is simply words on a computer monitor.
Is the excitment coming from the deceiving?

Beats me. Maybe it has to do with being "seriously disturbed."

I just don't understand the point though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What point do you not understand, jobot? I think it's pretty clear...some people strive quite hard to deceive others for a variety of reasons. Most of the time, it's because they want to gain something at the expense of someone else. Maybe they get their kicks that way, a kind of serial deceiver....they perhaps "count coup" if they succeed in carrying out their charade for a certain length of predetermined time. Often, before they sit out on their little adventure, they've got a cohort helping and/or encouraging them. Deceivers do like their cheerleaders!

Now, with the anonymity they get to enjoy on the internet, those who think deceit is "cool" get to practice it to their hearts' content....well, that is until they're unmasked, and that usually happens...quite unintentionally on the part of the deceiver.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I was just meaning that I don't personally understand.
I can 'understand' their possible reasoning or thrill, but can't comprehend, for myself, the thrill they get.
..if that makes sense.

Post subject: Re: Why Do
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:52 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

DarkKnight2 wrote:
Some people feel the need to deceive on the Internet?

There have been times when people have said they were one thing and it turned out they were something else entirely.

Why is there a need to lie about where you live, how you live and in some cases what gender you are. I have met people who said they were men and actually were woman and met woman who said they were men.

Of course there is no real way of telling who is who, but eventually the lie that was created gets so big that people start to slip up.

Just wondering what others think about this.

dunno, DK... because they can?

Purrsonally, I don't give out many details about my life as they are a lot of whackoes out there... like that freeper dweeb that sent white powder inside threatening letters to various left leaning politicians and media types...

but... I do tell the truth about my experiences AND of course... my gender...

:lol:

guy tiger here...

:D

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've known you a long time, O Striped One...You are indeed who you say you are! :D :P

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Something recent inspire this thread DK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:18 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Not really. There was somebody that came in here awhile ago, that implied one thing and we found out it was not true. I had a couple incidents on other forums were somebody said they were a woman and found out they were actually a man.

Just thought I would ask others for opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:20 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Aahhh. ... I see...

Women wanting to be men, men wanting to be women. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is an interesting thread, DK...glad you started it. I know to whom you are referring regarding the recent deception, and it wasn't a pleasant experience....for any of us. lefty and I have also experienced it at a forum she and I were on together.

What do you think should happen to a person who deliberately misleads others on a forum such as this one, DK, (or anywhere on the net) once he or she has been exposed? :?

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman