It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't be Fooled
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:48 pm 

I ran across this when I was going through some papers from the 70s and it reminded me of our troll. I still find it an interesting piece.

Don't be Fooled

Don't be fooled by me. Don't be fooled by the mask I wear. For I wear a mask, I wear a thousand masks, masks that I'm afraid to take off, and none of them is me. Pretending is an art that is second nature with me, but don't be fooled.

I give the impressin that I'm secure, that all is sunny and unruffled with me, within as well as without; that confidence is my name and coolness is my game; that the waters are calm and that I'm in command and I need no one. But don't believe it; please don't.

My surface may seem smooth, but my surface is my mask, my ever-varying and ever-concealing mask. Beneath lies no smugness, no coolness, no complacence. Beneath dwells the real me, in confusion, in fear, in loneliness. But I hide this, I don't want anybody to know it. I panic at the thought of my weakness being exposed. That is why I frantically create a mask to hide behind, a nonchalant sophisticated facade to help me pretend, to shield me from the glance that knows. But such a glance is precisely my salvation. My only salvation. And I know it. It's the only thing that can liberate me from myself, from my own self-built prison walls from the barriers that I so painstakenly erect. But I don't tell you this. I don't dare. I am afraid to.

I'm afraid your glance will not be followed by love and acceptance. I am afraid that you will think less of me, that you'll laugh, and your laugh will kill me. I'm afraid that deep down inside I am nothing, that I'm just no good and that you'll see and reject me. So I play my games, my desperate, pretending games, with a facade of assurance on the outside and a trembling child within. And so begins the parade of masks, the glittering but empty parade of masks. And my life becomes a front.

I idly chatter with you in the suave tones of surface talk. I tell you everything that is really nothing, noting of what is crying within me. So when I am going through my routine, don't be fooled by what I'm saying. Please listen and try to hear what I am NOT saying; what I would like to be able to say; what, for survival, I need to say but I can't say. I dislike the hiding. Honestly I do. I dislike the phony, superficial games I am playing.

I would really like to be genuine, spontaneous, and me; but you have to help me. You have to help me by holding out your hand, even when that is the last thing I seem to want or need. Each time you are kind and gentle and encouraging, each time you try to understand because you really care, my heart begins to grow wings. Very small wings. Very feeble wings. But wings. With your sensitivity and sympathy and your power of understanding, I can make it. You can breathe life into me. It will not be easy for you. A long conviction of worthlessness builds strong walls. But love is stronger than strong walls, and therein lies my hope. Please try to beat down those walls with firm hands, but with gentle hands, for a child is very sensitive, and I AM a child.

Who am I, you may wonder? I am someone you know very well. For I am every man, every woman, every child . . . every human you meet.

Anonymous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:54 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

I like this alot. I can see myself as well as others in it. It's a good source to fall back on when you're mad at someone for whatever reason. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:39 am 

Glad you liked it too, RavioLee. I saved it from a period when I was so much in need, and reading it now brings back a sense of empathy with others who may be struggling in some way I cannot see.

As they say about a duck on water, on the surface all seems calm but underneath it is paddling like mad!

I know the feeling well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We've had people coming here wearing several layers of masks over the past few months. :roll: When people do that, a no-win situation is created. I"ve also heard and read that we should be careful when we're "invited" via a private message or an email to join a "special interest group" or a forum.

There are people who join forums such as TVNL, posing as progressives and warming up to people only to invite them to other forums and groups where their IP addresses are collected and malicious things are done with them.

Think twice if someone PMs you and invites you to their "special group for a few select individuals" or a "cool new forum or group." Stay away from forums and groups if you are unfamiliar with their management or organization. It may be a front group where the idea is to collect any personal information they can (such as if you are posting from work and then notifying your employer).

Sorry, I don't have a viable link to this information as I saw it over a year ago on a board at which I no longer have an account. I'd kept the info in my saved box here at TVNL. BUT, it makes sense and remains good advice even without a link.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman