It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Democracy Interactive Radio - Drew Westen interview
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:05 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Democracy Interactive will host a new edition of Democracy Interactive Radio.

Last month DI launched the DI Book Club with Glenn Hurowitz's book Fear and Courage in Democratic Party. This month we've chosen Drew Westen''s excellent book, The Political Brain.

Drew Westen will be on for a conversation about the book on Sunday, March 23rd at 4PM EST.

While there have been some great political self-help books written to help Democrats and progressives understand why they lose races they should win, The Political Brain is the king of the hill, in my opinion. It literally examines the situation from the inside out.

Westen and his colleagues examined brain scans of how and to what people responded in matters of emotion and politics. Westen combines clinical research data with a dose of good ol' commonsense to move beyond analysis to offer clear, plain-spoken solutions He demonstrates with straight-forwardness and wit how candidates can communicate progressive values more effectively and WIN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, will! It's always good to see the importance of communication being advanced. It's something the present US government doesn't think is very important, see? :P

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:00 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Thanks, will! It's always good to see the importance of communication being advanced. It's something the present US government doesn't think is very important, see? :P

Considering we have a President whose communication skills are not good without extensive preparation, I agree. However, I think we are seeing more of an effort by progressive forces to redefine the issues in this country - including the terms of the discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I think we are seeing more of an effort by progressive forces to redefine the issues in this country - including the terms of the discussion.

True...and maybe those same progressive forces are just now getting a bit concerned that, with a possible McCain presidency, nothing will change for the better or greater good. It will only get worse.

Be sure to see my post about what I saw on Bill Moyers Journal on PBS tonight. It's in anniefey's thread in American Poli-Talk.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman