It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: George W. Hoover, or, History, What a Bitch
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/13571]George W. Hoover, or, History, What a Bitch
[/url]

by Stephen Pizzo

Quote:
In 1932, Edward Angly published a short book filled with optimistic forecasts about the economy offered by President Herbert Hoover and his associates. The sarcastic title of his book was, "Oh Yeah?."

I've found myself echoing that title almost every day of late as I listen to President Bush and his associates try to reassure us that things are not as bad as they seem. Oh Yeah?

Anyway, as you may know by now I am a real history whore. Maybe that's why, as I enter the final third of my life, I feel like I'm living a social/economic and political version of the movie, Ground Hog Day. Wave after wave of Deja vu sweep over my conscious hours. Wars, greed, famine, self-indulgent political leaders, economic disparity and "trouble in the financial markets."

Been there. Done that, and done that, and done that, and done that. It's as though society is little more than an software program stuck in a loop, and no one around to hit the "ESC" key.

Ah, but there I go, diverging again. My purpose this morning was actually to just dip back into that loop and copy and paste a few lines of code from the past and compare them with the code that's running today to test my theory.

So, thanks to Edward Angly we can compare President Hoover's take on things then to President Bush's take on things now. (You won't be surprised, but you may be amused... and then worried
.)

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman