It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A link.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:36 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

There is quite a bit of information on this site if you care to read all of the embedded links.

FUBAR.

http://www.chycho.com/?q=node/1800

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting link, CE...thanks for posting it. And it's even more interesting that you should post it today, because I'm reading an old book I picked up at our Friends of the Library bookstore entitled The Record: The Trial of Adolf Eichmann by Lord Russell of Liverpool. While I know all about the capture of Eichmann, I never delved into his actual trial beyond his being found guilty and hanged. Probably without Eichmann, Hitler would not have been able to have carried out so effectively his murder of six million Jews during World War 2, which was indeed devestating. Without the Holocaust having happened, I often wonder if a Jewish state might never have been carved out of Palestine. So many what ifs to wonder about...

Anyway...there's a discussion in the book about the rise of Nazism in Germany. Lord Russell writes: "In a book entitled The German Question written after the Second World War, Professor Wilhelm Ropke of the University of Marburg wrote: 'There have been Hitlers everywhere and at all times, but it is Germany's shame that so miserable a figure could become her leader. In order to germinate, the seed of Nazism had to find favorable soil. It found it in the German Reich and the Germans, such as they had become in their political, spiritual, economic, and social history.'"

Russell continues (And this was the real passage that made me stop and think about how it connects to today's American history: )

"LONG BEFORE HITLER WAS EVER THOUGHT OF, GOETHE, IN HIS POETRY AND TRUTH GAVE A PROPHETIC DESCRIPTION OF THE KIND OF DEMONIACAL PERSONALITY THAT HITLER TURNED OUT TO BE. AGAINST HIM, NO UNION OF MORAL FORCES CAN MAKE A SUCCESSFUL STAND. IN VAIN WILL MEN OF ENLIGHTENMENT SEEK TO SCORN HIM OR UNMASK HIS TRUE CHARACTER AS A CHEAT AND A DECEIVER. THE MASSES ARE DRAWN AFTER HIM....." (p. 12 of the book I mentioned above by Lord Russell.)

This quote from Goethe made me immediately think of the numerous tomes that have been written in recent years and months about the Bush administration's crimes against the Constitution and humanity, all to no avail. It made me think of the recent efforts by Rep. Dennis Kucinich and the panel of illustrious individuals who testified before a Congressional committee to try to get impeachment hearings begun. All to no avail.

Goethe's words are just as true today in regard to the Bush administration. Perhaps far too many Congressional members have allowed their own political, spiritual, economic, and social histories to become so eroded and corrupt, they cannot see that Bush and Cheney are vile because they themselves are vile.

Disturbing that history does indeed seem to be repeating itself in so many ways.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:01 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I really find it quite infuriating.

Honestly though, do politicians really have a right to hold the title "leader"?

Bah, I'm so pissed off right now I cant even think. Perhaps I'll write later.

Crimson.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.