It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Presidential Rhetoric, Then and Now
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

David Rossie: 'Presidential rhetoric, then and now'

By David Rossie, Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin

During a visit last week to the Lincoln Library and Museum in Springfield, Ill., our current president drew a comparison between his speaking style and that of Mr. Lincoln, one that should be obvious to the impartial observer, but one that has, nonetheless, been ignored by the jackals of the liberal media.

Herewith, in their own words, proof of that linguistic bond:

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy." A. Lincoln, 1858.

"I had the opportunity to go out to Goree Island and talk about what slavery meant to America. It's very interesting when you think about it. The slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America." G.W. Bush. July 8, 2003.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital and deserves much the higher consideration." A. Lincoln. First message to Congress, Dec. 3, 1861.

"I don't like the idea of having an undocumented economy in the greatest country in the face of the earth." G.W. Bush. Jan 9, 2004.

"It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels he is worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him." A. Lincoln, Aug. 14, 1862.

"One of the great things about this country is a lot of people pray." G.W. Bush, April 13, 2003.

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith let us to the end dare to do our duty as we understand it." A. Lincoln, speaking at Cooper Union, New York City, Feb. 27, 1860.

"People can read everything they want into it when they hear 'faith-based initiative.' That all of a sudden opens everybody's imagination in the world to vast possibilities, some of which exist and some which don't." G. W. Bush, speaking in Washington, July 16, 2003.

"What is conservatism? Is it not adherence to the old and tried, against the new and untried?" A. Lincoln, Cooper Union speech.

"The federal government and the state government must not fear programs who change lives, but must welcome those faith-based programs for the embetterment of mankind." G. W. Bush, Stockton, Calif., Aug. 23, 2002.

"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." A. Lincoln, second annual message to Congress.

"I wanna remind you all that I -- in order -- what in order to fight and win the war it requires a expenditure of money that is commiserate with keeping a promise to our troops to make sure that they're well-paid, well-trained, well-equipped." G.W. Bush, Dec. 15, 2003.

"The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature." A. Lincoln. First inaugural address.

"The true strength of America is the fact that we've got millions of fellow citizens who are willing to love a neighbor just like they would like to be loved themselves." G.W. Bush, June 19, 2003.

Q.E.D.

Rossie is associate editor of the Press & Sun-Bulletin.

© 2005 Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin

Reprinted from Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin:
http://www.pressconnects.com/today/opinion/
stories/op042405s162300.shtml

Comment: Lincoln must be rolling over in his grave.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]