It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SLUMDOGS UNITE!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if President Obama has seen, or intends to see, the highly praised movie Slumdog Millionaire. If not, perhaps someone should advise him to do so, particularly according to OP-ED NY TIMES columnist Frank Rich, and in view of the people who make up Obama's Cabinet:

SLUMDOGS UNITE!

by FRANK RICH

SOMEDAY historians may look back at Tom Daschle’s flameout as a minor one-car (and chauffeur) accident. But that will depend on whether or not it’s followed by a multi-vehicle pileup that still could come. Even as President Obama refreshingly took responsibility for having “screwed up,” it’s not clear that he fully understands the huge forces that hit his young administration last week.

The tsunami of populist rage coursing through America is bigger than Daschle’s overdue tax bill, bigger than John Thain’s trash can, bigger than any bailed-out C.E.O.’s bonus. It’s even bigger than the Obama phenomenon itself. It could maim the president’s best-laid plans and what remains of our economy if he doesn’t get in front of the mounting public anger.

This is why “Slumdog Millionaire,” which pits a hard-working young man in Mumbai against a corrupt nexus of money and privilege, has become America’s movie of the year. As Robert Reich, the former Clinton labor secretary, wrote after Daschle’s fall, Americans “resent people who appear to be living high off a system dominated by insiders with the right connections.”

The neo-Hoover Republicans in Congress, who think government can put Americans back to work with corporate tax cuts but without any “spending,” are tone deaf to this rage. Obama is not. It’s a good thing he’s getting out of Washington this week to barnstorm the country about the crisis at hand. Once back home, he’s got to make certain that the insiders in his own White House know who’s the boss.

MORE AT THE LINK

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: SLUMDOGS UNITE!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:42 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Speaking of tsunami's, it is my opinion that presidents are caught in a never ending tsunami of requests for this, that, and the other.

A problem is that every time you open a door of investigation, that opens two more doors with people clamoring for more of your time.

Bush's strategy was not to open any doors unless the door slammed him.

Every politico in the world has an agenda that they want Obama to personally look into.

I'm thinking that lefty may be writing a letter to 1600 Pennsylvania about cropping ears and leaving dogs outside.

If I had Obama's ear, I would be whispering about reigning in the awesome power of AIPAC. I feel that strongy about it.

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson