It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DO NOT PITY THE DEMOCRATS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CHRIS HEDGES: DO NOT PITY THE DEMOCRATS

Quote:
There are no longer any major institutions in American society, including the press, the educational system, the financial sector, labor unions, the arts, religious institutions and our dysfunctional political parties, which can be considered democratic. The intent, design and function of these institutions, controlled by corporate money, are to bolster the hierarchical and anti-democratic power of the corporate state. These institutions, often mouthing liberal values, abet and perpetuate mounting inequality. They operate increasingly in secrecy. They ignore suffering or sacrifice human lives for profit. They control and manipulate all levers of power and mass communication. They have muzzled the voices and concerns of citizens. They use entertainment, celebrity gossip and emotionally laden public-relations lies to seduce us into believing in a Disneyworld fantasy of democracy.

MORE AT THE LINK

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: DO NOT PITY THE DEMOCRATS
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:03 pm 

I am wondering how much of this cynicism is that of a dying man.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:30 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

As annoyed as I am at the Democrats, the media, and many other facets of this society, I refuse to give into despair. Let us remember that the Progressives of the early 1900s, the Civil Rights Movement, the Peace Movement and others have faced great challenges. It is up to us to mobilize, and politicians will eventually join the parade --- for fear of being left behind. When we fall into despair and stay there, we become cynical and immobilized. May I ask whom that immobilization benefits?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
May I ask whom that immobilization benefits?

If the Dems decide to stay home on November 2, they will have nobody but themselves to blame when the extremists take us back to the dark ages. The tea baggers are "fired up," and unless the Dems can manage to equal their enthusiasm, I don't hold out much hope for them to hold onto the House and the Senate.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am disgusted with Obama and the Democrats' now naive and stupid use of the word "bipartisanship" and apparently people like Howard Fineman are, too:

Obama's Naivete on Bipartisanship Has Finally Caught Up to Him

There were some, including some in the media, who listened to President Obama's account of yesterday's meeting with Republicans and concluded that there was hope for a surprisingly bipartisan conclusion to the lame duck Congress.

My questions are: What planet do he and they think they are on? And have they paid any attention to Sen. Mitch McConnell?

The president emerged from the meeting yesterday to say, hopefully, that he had suggested that they work together not just on taxes and spending, but on the other issues pending, including an extension of unemployment insurance.

But at that very moment McConnell and the rest of the GOP Senate leadership were beginning work on a plan to force the Senate to do just the opposite: a unified GOP threat to filibuster debate on anything but taxes and spending.

Quote:
Republicans are energized and out for blood. And, like all tough politicians, when they sense weakness and confusion on the other side, they are emboldened to press harder.

On the Hill yesterday, GOP aides privately could barely contain their contempt -- and their amusement -- at the president's declaration of a dawn of bipartisan optimism

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 am 

I'm calling President Obama, the spineless wonder. In my book, I would write, this president came into office to fulfill a childhood dream...be president of the United States. He succeeded that and now will run his four year term with really no agenda...just talk.

Would we all like to make a guess when he will make a TV speech that..." I will not run, and will not accept the nomination for President of the United States for 2012."

I will guess November 2011.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:12 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

will in chicago wrote:
As annoyed as I am at the Democrats, the media, and many other facets of this society, I refuse to give into despair. Let us remember that the Progressives of the early 1900s, the Civil Rights Movement, the Peace Movement and others have faced great challenges. It is up to us to mobilize, and politicians will eventually join the parade --- for fear of being left behind. When we fall into despair and stay there, we become cynical and immobilized. May I ask whom that immobilization benefits?

and politicians will eventually join the parade --- for fear of being left behind.

You are exactly right!!

I'll use jobs, as a PRIME example...

First of all, we have to get in the media's face. I can count the number of times the media uses the word "jobs," on one hand. While mentioning these bozos like Palin, Limbaugh, Hanidy Beck etc. thousands of time per day. When this occurs, there's no progressive interest in our media at all. It's simply a "soap opera," from this point on.

While I generally agree with the Ed Shultzs, Keith Olbermans and the Rachael Maddows of the world, a dead horse only dies once. Beating it constantly, is not going to produce any favorable results. (but I love horses, mind you)

This also, would make a great opportunity to link issues, with other issues. (not to be confused with the Faux news propaganda) Linking issues, like green energy to jobs, local tech schools to educate their students, (and the manufacturer's employees) to better themselves, by making their skills more "marketable."

Christ, could you imagine these types of commercials, running in our media today? Our local tech school, runs commercials like these, all the time. They always promote educating oneself, to become more productive in the workforce. How about building or revamping an old building, to produce "non fossil fuel based" energy? Then, run an ad from one of the local community's tech schools, explaining the positive effects of making one's skills more marketable, to the new green energy manufacturing base in this country.

...really man, this is NOT, "rocket scientist" stuff here folks!! :roll:

In a nutshell, I believe with all my heart, if we can break this "jobs creation" barrier, and this barrier alone, things will happen. It's a totally win win situation for everyone. Come positive results, comes a general respect for others. What binds us at this point, will create a mutual RESPECT, for ALL parties involved. But equally as important, is the fact that our politicians, will be forced to come in from the golf course, to become involved with this kind of progressive movement in this country. Exposing them, simply leaves them no choice. Support it, or get your pink slip!! And yes, it's pretty obvious, this will be a 100% grass roots movement. People WILL get involved, when REAL CHANGE happens. And when it comes to money, well, need I speak any further?

This media has marginalized the american people, in ways I've never seen before. Everytime something unfortunate happens, like the shootings in Arizona this past weekend, it puts another black eye on the american progressive movement in this country.

We simply have to stay focused. And in my opinion, it's GREEN ENERGY MANUFACTURING!! You take the Ron Pauls, and the Dennis Kucinich's of the world, bind what they agree on, and go from there. "Political Mudslinging" at this point, would take a back seat, to the positive results left behind, from simply working on what binds them.

Positive results brings respect, from ALL political parties involved. The current GOP and the teabaggers are simply lunatics. However, if one wants to explore other areas, other than propaganda, then I'll be there to give them my support. As with the Republican's utter hatred of people in this country, people aren't going away. (unless we're attacked by another GOP death panel) We simply have to work, with what we got.

I simply at this point, want to expose our politicians to REAL CHANGE, in this country. So the next time they want to run for political office, they'll be looking AT OUR NAMES on their paychecks, and not the corporations, who they generously "kneepad" themselves out to.

It's just a shame, when you see shit like cars traveling down the road, being powered by hydrogen (non storage) fuel in other countries, and we're still driving these "gas guzzlers" here.

The road to manufacturing change in this country will be rough, but it's rewards/results can be easily seen, no matter how far away it may be. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
It's just a shame, when you see shit like cars traveling down the road, being powered by hydrogen (non storage) fuel in other countries, and we're still driving these "gas guzzlers" here.

Agreed....and making numerous, unnecessary trips here, there, and everywhere! In other countries, there are trains and buses taking people to a variety of places, but not in the US. Oh no.....but I can tell you that with gas at over $3.00 a gallon, I am being very careful and consolidating my driving. I 've got a car that is four wheel drive....have to have it where I live...which will be completely paid for in three months and it has only 51,000 miles on it. :mrgreen: I expect to keep it for a very long time. :albino:

We have friends who have two kids, close in age, who are both involved in sports. The friends drive constantly from one ball game to another, and those games aren't always close to home. Sometimes they drive for hours for an hour's game. When my daughter was growing up, she was in sports, too...but gas was $.75 a gallon, and most of her games were not too far away. Thankfully, my son had no interest in sports, so I didn't have to repeat that situation all over again when gas had tripled and my car was old with a zillion miles on it.

Quote:
Christ, could you imagine these types of commercials, running in our media today?

Well, one type of commercial I'd like to see brouht back is the "Every Litter Bit Hurts!" I don't know what it's like where everyone here lives, but in my neck of the woods, people throw their trash out of their cars all the time and the rodsides are filthy! Now and then I'll see Mexicans working for a private litter removal company or now and then inmates out cleaning up the roadsides, and within a few days, the litter is back...sometimes worse. It's shameful.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman