It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: had enough about "the war on terror"?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:09 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

New name for 'war on terror'

The Bush administration is abandoning the phrase "war on terror" to better express the fight against al-Qaeda and other groups as an ideological struggle as much as a military mission.

The shift in terms comes at a time when the US public is increasingly pessimistic about the war in Iraq - and sceptical about its links to the fight against terrorism.

In recent days, senior administration figures have been speaking publicly of "a global struggle against the enemies of freedom", and of the need to use all "tools of statecraft" to defeat them.

source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4719169.stm

can someone define the "tools of statehood"?

some suggestions on other forums are the use of nulcear weapons, as i posted here in this forum.

if there is another attack on american soil, it looks like this government is going to lose it and press a button or two. maybe this is why all these meetings have been taking place with heads of state around the globe....to ensure that if we use nuclear weapons, other nations won't react against us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
In recent days, senior administration figures have been speaking publicly of "a global struggle against the enemies of freedom", and of the need to use all "tools of statecraft" to defeat them.

Global..my foot...the GLOBE better wake up and understand that the real "enemy of freedom" lives in the White House and sleeps with the first lady.

How's that for imitating one of Karl Rove's tactics for confirming an ID?

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:37 am 

AMERICANS had better wake up.......

Post subject: Damn those terr.. er extremists?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:20 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Hope you watched Jon Stewart last night. He had a fine section about the war against the phrase of the "war on terror". It has been renamed "The Struggle Against Extremism". At one point, Rumsfelt who has programmed his peabrain with words that stick to the roof of his mouth, like Skippy's peanus butter, a phrase for every occasion, slipped up and said " The War Against the Struggle Against Extremism", which illustrates the internal conflict that he has with new terms to whitewash the old lies.

Damn it, they can barely get their lines right anymore, the lies are so thick and heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Damn it, they can barely get their lines right anymore, the lies are so thick and heavy.

So true! Prolly because their "prompts," Rove and Cheney, usually hovering backstage manning the earpieces and other types of technospeak, are trying to cover their fat asses regarding Plamegate.

Their distractions have become more distracting for them than they can handle. If it wasn't so damned maddening, it'd be hilarious.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:58 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

not that i want to be labeled as a "conspiracy theorist", far from it, and i try to take a logical approach to issues, but does it seem lately that some bombings just don't make sense?

could the new trend in world governments be to stage bombings, or, at least "allow" them to happen, to enforce more control over their people? if it worked in the US after 9-11 with the swift passage of the patriot act, why wouldn't other nations see an opportunity to do the same?

the old saying "make lemon aid out of lemons" comes to mind......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:51 am 
Involved
Involved

mga wrote:
not that i want to be labeled as a "conspiracy theorist", far from it, and i try to take a logical approach to issues, but does it seem lately that some bombings just don't make sense?

could the new trend in world governments be to stage bombings, or, at least "allow" them to happen, to enforce more control over their people? if it worked in the US after 9-11 with the swift passage of the patriot act, why wouldn't other nations see an opportunity to do the same?

the old saying "make lemon aid out of lemons" comes to mind......

Actually, such a thesis does not require a "conspiracy theory".

Our present administration has already demonstrated a marked determination to judge the evidence according to whether it supports a desired conclusion, rather than base conclusions on the evidence. This is just another way of saying that they see what they want to see, and do not see that which they do not wish to see.

They saw evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq because they wanted to see evidence of such weapons. However, they see no evidence that evolution is true, nor do they see evidence of man-made global warming, because they do not want to see these conclusions as being true.

They go so far as to assert that, if the physical evidence does not support their conclusion, that the evidence is mistaken and must be restated. Thus, they edit reports so that they can write in their desired conclusions.

If they do not wish to see evidence of a particular type of event or consequence, then they will not see it. They will be able to look right at the evidence, and not see the conclusion, because their conclusions determine how they interpret the evidence. They cannot see the conclusion unless they have already drawn it in advance, and are looking for evidence to support it.

They are not lying. They are not saying, "I know that this is false, but I am going to say it anyway because it benefits me to do so."

They are saying, "This evidence cannot be right because it does not support the conclusion I know to be true. We have to go back and look at the evidence again until we get the evidence that makes sense."

Their are deceiving themselves as much as they are deceiving others.

Their basic inability to draw conclusions from evidence is, in short, a recipe for incompetence. It means that, rather than following a trail of evidence, they are going to go their own way in spite of the evidence. It is like driving a car while blindfolded. There is a chance, however unlikely, that one can turn the wheel right when the road turns and stay on the road for a considerable distance. However, more often than not, reality is going to diverge from the driver's imagination, with unpleasant results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Our present administration has already demonstrated a marked determination to judge the evidence according to whether it supports a desired conclusion, rather than base conclusions on the evidence. This is just another way of saying that they see what they want to see, and do not see that which they do not wish to see.

You're exactly right, Alonzo. The most worrisome aspect of it is that far too many Americans are accepting this as though they were sheep. I've never seen so much complacency and apathy in our country before. I've never been so ashamed of our national attitude before.

Bush does just as he pleases. If there's an executive privilege written down somewhere, that idiot is going to dust it off and use it, regardless if it's good for the country. He's building up a base of loyalists not seen in America since George Washington's time.

AND, this morning on the local news, there was a report about the Congressional rep from my district, Charles Taylor (R). He swears he voted AGAINST CAFTA, but his vote isn't registered, not for and not against. What could that mean? Is he lying? OR are the NEOCONS now playing with the votes of the Congressional members who might not be dancing to their tune quite the way they'd like?

Taylor is a snake, and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, but this sounds weird, considering how close CAFTA came to not passing.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:25 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

so, it appears we've been reduced to discussing it in forums and the reality of it continues to fester.

i'm wondering if people just feel powerless or they really can't see the writing on the walls.

i wish i had the money to buy a huge piece of land in montana and just hide from all this. i asked my wife how she felt about moving to cuba...but, being the suburban girl she is, you can guess what her answer was...lol

so, i'll keep looking for "paradise".......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
wish i had the money to buy a huge piece of land in montana and just hide from all this. i asked my wife how she felt about moving to cuba...but, being the suburban girl she is, you can guess what her answer was...lol

Your wife sounds like my husband, mga. :lol: Yes, we live in the mountains of NC, pretty isolated when you consider that we're two hours from any city of any size.

I know we could realize a bundle on our place if we put it up for sale...enough to buy a reasonably nice place in, say...New Zealand, Scotland, or Canada. I know I could get a job teaching, even if he wanted to be a "house husband" for the duration of this madness that is presently infecting America.

He won't hear of it...he's content right where he is. Well, I'm content with our house and property, too. I love living here IF I can't be near an ocean, but I'm not content with the present state of the government. I also have a lot of knowledge of those Jewish people who lingered too long in Germany as Hitler came to power...thinking the Nazis would "pass," or things couldn't get much worse than wearing those Stars of David, or not being able to go to school, to work, etc....

Paradise might be just surviving if Bush continues on the road to becoming America's first dictator.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:10 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

i always said, if i won the lottery, i'm buying the most secluded piece of land i can find. if she wants to come with me...fine...if not, then i'm sure half the winnings will make her comfortable. lol :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:13 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

i plagerized this from another forum...

MISSION REPHRASE

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]