It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: ahhh...the promised "new america"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:38 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

During the the confirmation hearings for John Roberts Jr., George W. Bush's nominee for Supreme Court chief justice, Roberts was questioned by Senator Joseph R. Biden on whether he would rule against a mandatory implantable microchip to track American citizens.

Here's a video of Biden saying, "You Will Rule On That."

http://www.infowars.com/video/clips/new ... plants.htm

http://www.prisonplanet.tv/audio/130505 ... ipping.htm

since this was brought up at the hearing, it's no "cat out of the bag", so to speak, but obviously a subject that has been discussed in congress....why else would biden mention it? obviously, congress plans on leaving the decision to use forced implants up to the supreme court, therby washing their hands of the matter.

republican or democrat, this is outright bullshit.

once again, i want to thank the right wing conservative party for this "new america" they promised...you fuckin assholes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:41 am 
Hear Me Roar!

I have a hard time believing that even the knuckledraggers in Kansas would go for this one.

The Christians would scream *mark of the devil*

Hollywood would scream about health issues related to the chip (which can't possibly be *healthy*.

Middle America would see it as intrusive.

Amd the militant right and left would arm themselves.

All in all I wouldn't worry about chips (other than voluntary, or for prisoners) any time soon.

And remember, the crack kiddies. They will pop those babies so fast, and make SUCH a fricking mess. Remember, MS releases are cracked before they are released (in one instance MS withheld the release of a server system because the crack had been out for a while).

The Neo-cons are dangerously close to open rebellion (as we saw in NOLA) and don't think they don't know it. As much as they may *want* this, I can't see it happening. Its just too over the edge, even for them.

More likely is the new ID card, with all its wizbang tech that will make idenity theft more common than jaywalking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:59 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

All in all I wouldn't worry about chips (other than voluntary, or for prisoners) any time soon.

the beginning. once the door is opened, there is no closing it.

ie: once the patriot act became effective, there is no removing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What happens if we refuse to be ID'd?

I know, I know....we'd get to know Jose Padilla intimately! :lol:

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:18 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

mga wrote:

the beginning. once the door is opened, there is no closing it.

ie: once the patriot act became effective, there is no removing it.

Thats not true at all. Our country has a long history of repealing bad legislation (dating back to the Madison Administration).

Prohibition is a very obvious example.

As I said, I see this as a distraction. WHile you worry about chips in yer arm you get chips in yer puter, which may actually be worse. You can fry the chip in your arm. You need your CPU.

No one is screaming about TC and that is a horrific invasion of privacy at every level. Why? No one knows what it is. Why? Good question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:19 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

i went to verichip's web site...apparently they have been at several hospitals selling the idea of implanting patients. altho i didn't read it fully, i intend to go back later and read more about them and their chip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:25 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

I can think of dozens of applications for this technology (although the whole *borg* issue kinda grinds me the wrong way). There is some technology that allows chips to interface with certain regions of the brain, allowing, for instance, the blind to *see* ( I say that becauser who knows what thier visual cortex is relaying to them?)

Technology is neither good nor bad, it simply is, it is the USE of technology that has moral implications. I can kill a man with a hammer just as easily as I can with a gun (easier, maybe, he might be less suspicious of me with a hammer, although if he knows me, I doubt it. I should never be allowed to have either guns or hammers. LOL.)

The implanting of chips has applications that I can see as acceptable in certain cases. There are lots of uses (esp medical) for technology. Imagine a chip that reads your blood sugar constantly and releases insulin or gives feedback to take it.

While I am personally against mandatory chips that track citizen going about the business of living, I am not against chip technology, or the exploration of chip implantation.

It is the same with DNA, I am all for exploring DNA and learning all we can about this amazing molecule, perhaps even learning how and why it works. I am against fiddling with DNA and GM foods, because there is no way of knowing (or undoing) the side effects of introducing new geomes into the environment.

The same can be said of space exploration, I am all for going to Mars, I di not want the various lifeforms FROM Mars on Earth (same reason as above).

Again, I really feel that there is no way Americans will stand for madatory chip implants, regardless of how useful they may be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:43 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

actually, the chip you describe isn't what the verichip company had in mind. altho there are several versions of the idea of implanting them for different reasons.

i love technology and have always been fascinated by it. i build my own computers and always mess around with electronics.

VeriChip is marketed as a universal means of identification, intended for use in a variety of settings, including financial and transportation security, residential and commercial building access, and military and government security. For an initial "chipping" fee, as well as a monthly $9.95 subscription fee, customers' arms are implanted with a glass chip about the size of a grain of rice, containing a unique verification number. When activated by a VeriChip scanner, that number is emitted by a small radio frequency, providing instant access to information logged in the Global VeriChip Subscriber (GVS) Registry.

On October 12, 2004, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved VeriChip for medical applications in the United States. The approval will allow VeriChip to be used to confirm identity, and check the blood type, potential allergies and medical history of unconscious patients. The device is subject to Class II special controls to mitigate potential risks identified by the FDA, which include adverse tissue reaction, electromagnetic interference, and magnetic resonance imaging incompatibility.

In March 2004, a nightclub in Barcelona began using VeriChip as a sort of embedded VIP card for its customers. Patrons of the Baja Beach Club can pay 125 Euros to have the chip implanted, then use it to bypass entry lines and keep track of bar tabs.

http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]