It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: hmmm...what do we name iraqi army bases???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:41 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Iraq: US Army Depots Named After Oil Giants

by Neela Banerjee, New York Times
March 27th, 2003

The subtleties surrounding the sensitive role oil plays in the Iraqi war may have eluded the United States Army. Deep in some newspaper coverage yesterday was a report that the 101st Airborne Division had named one central Iraq outpost Forward Operating Base Shell and another Forward Operating Base Exxon.

The Pentagon shrugged off concerns that now might not be the time to mention the names of foreign oil companies on Iraqi soil. "The forward bases are normally refueling points they're basically gas stations in the desert," a Pentagon spokeswoman said. "Whether or not we're going to lecture everyone that, due to political sensitivities, you should be careful what you call your gas stations, I don't know if that's something that should be done or would be done."

Neither Royal Dutch/Shell nor Exxon knew about the Iraqi bases. Cerris Tavinor, a spokeswoman for Shell, heard of the base only when a reporter called.

source and more:

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=6128

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:18 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Makes sense if you think about it... as they are gas stations and GIs grok gas stations... and that's what those bases are... forward fuel dumps... aka gas stations...

It's logical, mga and those using it will know exactly what it means... a place to get fuel....

what would you have them call it? The Bowling Lanes? The SuperMarket? The Theatre?

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]