It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: One more reason to hate Michael Moore
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:10 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

I hate Michael Moore. I personally find his brand of half truth docu-merchandizing utterly revolting. But this...THIS..digusted me beyond belief. With so many good public companies in the US, compaanies that hire Americans, pay living wages, offer decent benefit packages, who does Mr Moore invest in? Working Assets is one organization that works with these public companies. I doubt Halliburton is on their list, even if Mr Moore finds thier dividend to be profitable.

Quote:
"I don't own a single share of stock!" filmmaker Michael Moore proudly proclaimed.

He's right. He doesn't own a single share. He owns tens of thousands of shares – including nearly 2,000 shares of Boeing, nearly 1,000 of Sonoco, more than 4,000 of Best Foods, more than 3,000 of Eli Lilly, more than 8,000 of Bank One and more than 2,000 of Halliburton, the company most vilified by Moore in "Fahrenheit 9/11."

If you want to see Moore's own signed Schedule D declaring his capital gains and losses where his stock ownership is listed, it's emblazoned on the cover of Peter Schweizer's new book, "Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy."

And it's just one of the startling revelations by Schweizer, famous for his previous works, "Reagan's War" and "The Bushes."

Other examples:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who proclaims her support for unions, yet the luxury resort, the vineyard and the restaurants she partly owns are strictly non-union. While she advocates tough new laws enforcing environmental regulations on the private sector, the exclusive country club she partly owns failed to comply with existing environmental regulations for the past eight years – including a failure to protect endangered species.

Noam Chomsky has made a reputation for calling America a police state and branding the Pentagon "the most hideous institution on earth," yet his entire academic career, writes Schweizer, has been subsidized by the U.S. military.

Barbra Streisand is another proponent of environmentalism, yet she drives an SUV, lives in a mansion and has a $22,000 annual water bill. In the past, she has driven to appointments in Beverly Hills in a motor home because of her aversion to using public bathrooms.

Ralph Nader plays the role of the citizen avenger – the populist uninterested in wealth and materialism, pretending to live in a modest apartment. In fact, he lives in fancy homes registered in the names of his siblings.
This is not just a book of "gotcha" journalism, explains Schweizer. He says the dozens and dozens of examples of "liberal hypocrisy" he cites in his book "are of central importance in evaluating the validity and usefulness of liberal ideas."

"Using IRS records, court depositions, news reports, financial disclosures and their own statements, I sought to answer a particular question: Do these liberal leaders and activists practice what they preach?" he writes. "What I found was a stunning record of open and shameless hypocrisy. Those who champion the cause of organized labor had developed various methods to avoid paying union wages or shunned unions altogether.

"Those who believe that the rich need to pay more in taxes proved especially adept at avoiding taxes themselves. Critics of capitalism and corporate enterprise frequently invested in the very companies they denounced. Those who espouse strict environmental regulations worked vigorously to sidestep them when it came to their own businesses and properties. Those who advocate steep inheritance taxes to promote fairer income distribution hid their investments in trusts or exotic overseas locales to reduce their own tax liability. Those who are strong proponents of affirmative action rarely practiced it themselves, and some had abysmal records when it came to hiring minorities. Those who proclaim themselves champions of civil liberties when it comes to criminal or terrorist cases went to extraordinary lengths to curtail the civil liberties of others when they felt threatened or just inconvenienced. Advocates of gun control had no problem making sure that an arsenal of weapons was available to protect them from dangerous criminals."

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/no ... sstock.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alkemi,

I'm curious...why do you consider Alex Jones and his Prison Planet to be a reliable source for solid and always credible information? :?

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:41 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Where did you hear I consider anything a *good* source?

This is posted under *editorial*, so obviously I felt it was an opinion. If I felt it had any reasonable amount of factual data I would have posted it under *accurate reporting*, or some other topic heading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michael Moore has done a great deal to raise awareness for all the world about the crimes of the Bush administration, probably much more than anything Alex Jones has done. Most of us who have been at TVNL and at other liberal websites for a long time don't consider Prison Planet/Alex Jones to be as credible as Michael Moore, regardless of stocks owned or not owned. They mix in too many bizarre conspiracy theories that marginalize true stories by association.

I don't have a link, but I seem to recall that the report about Michael Moore and his ownership of certain stocks was first published at WorldNet Daily, an ultra-conservative website which we liberals call Wingnut Daily. They love to tear down the reputations of famous liberals who speak out politically. They do this by focusing attention on what the liberals have done wrong in their personal lives....personal lives and decisions that did not cause any other American difficulty nor cause anyone to die, so far as I know. Yet they sing the praises of the neocons who send troops to die unnecessarily so they can get richer than they already are.

It's a good ploy used by the wingnuts and sometimes works. Ask Karl Rove.

Michael Moore is definitely one of the most effective anti-Bush voices in America today. That doesn't mean that he's perfect personally or professionally but his writings and reports about the Bushies have been correct.

Thank you for caring so much about the liberal movement and drawing attention to how we need to work harder to fight for it.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:10 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Moore is a distraction, and deeply connected to the same puppet masters as Bush.

Moore is straight dis-information.

He is furthering the genocide in the Eurasia sub continent, obeying the same Master as Bush (Sr and Jr) and Clinton.

Do you see? They are on both sides of the aisle. Dem, Reps, libs, conservs, they have every base covered, all the fights rigged, and *they* keep winning, always winning.

Ask yourself, WHO keeps winning? Why does MY side keep losing? It only gets worse! WHO is winning? There you will see the ends of the puppet strings. Follow them carefully to the puppet master.

The truth about Moore is out there (and not on Prison Planet, either, its in the NYT, in the Media rags like Variety, in public records, depositions. You have to find it yourself though, if I told you you'd call me a liar. OK. Well, here's the challenge. Go look.

The truth is out there.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:21 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Thank you for caring so much about the liberal movement and drawing attention to how we need to work harder to fight for it.

BTW, on the Politcal Compass I am sitting down in the lower left quad with Ghandi and the Dali Lama. (-4.63, -5.69) I think that might put me in *liberal*, eh?

Where are you?

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:19 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Well Alk, got yourself in a jam this time. To believe some things in this life you better check your sources and use ones that don't include corporate run papers like the Times and Variety. If you used Utne, or the Guardian, or Earth Policy, well they are more unbiased.

Left, right all the same, but the left at least is willing to challenge itself and not hide behind its convictions, like the right. Catherines statement , that you quoted,
Quote:
was just a statement that the left must always check its ideals to make sure they try and stay within its correct parameters. The Democratic party may be straying too far from its mandate, but the people that support it, (and when you have only 2 choices), when they see their party being co-opted into a system, they must demand their party return to its convictions.

I have said before that this country is run by a Tripartheid style leadership that has America's survival as its #1 priority. This puts the leaders of the Government/Corporations/Unions, all in a position that is a compromise of the Socio/Political/Judicial American system in a position where what would affect America negatively MUST be avoided. Therefor anything that would cripple or damage American interests are to be dealt with and agreed upon as to not affect the day to day workings of the overall system. The people are left to believe that it is a fair and just system, much to their chagrin, they must be the ones to persevere.

It is easy to stray from convictions in a corrupt devious world, where even investments can be part of a bigger picture. This is why some places now offer ethical funds that tell their investors where their money is going to, and what companies are involved. Not all financial investment firms disclose or care where or who knows what their money is financing, and not all investors care either. In the world of bottom line financial investing, the one who offers the greatest return is usually the most successful, at the expense of conscience for money. Ah, the glories of free market capitalist greed. This is probably why people are unaware of where their money goes and what it is used for.

Don't second guess people like Michael Moore, Noam Chomsky, Ralph Nader(read lemon aid, exposed junk cars), etc., who have been instrumental in bringing to light the atrocities that America has committed in the past and will continue to commit, unless their dirty tricks are exposed. For their work at exposing the contradictions that free enterprise exploitive capitalism does- American style, he deserves a medal, deserve to be commended as true Americans. Not like those greedy chickenshit Americans, those that condemn them for their truth to power statements, who don't want the truth exposed about the things they do to each other and others around the world. These people are heros as whistleblowers to what slime many Americans are in their need for greed and power advantages, in the world. Hiding behind their left and right, while they rob the world. These traitorous greedy chickenshit Americans care not for politics, religion or justice, only for money. And not in small time investments, but to control and maniulate countries and economies that help them maniulate the worlds balance of power. This is what the chickenshithawks do that makes Moore and Chomsky to be the saints while American sociopathic leaders feed off the worlds poor and powerless in an attempt to hold on to their power. Is this why you hate Moore, Chomsky etc. so much? Because they makes greedy little capitalists look like petty little colonialist exploiters that they are?

Took your little test and it is truly a pathetic example of choice and questions. There is no real choices to such rigged questions except to view politics as conventional and formed. Whoever wrote this understood the simple conventional mind quite well and as an advocate of compromise would never offer a solution based alternative to conventional wisdom. Another afficionado of authoritarianism.This was devised as an ad hoc demonstration of the futility of pragmatic idealism in a deviously contrived world. One is really forced to choose extremes as an alternative to this kind of thinking, for if you choose 1 of 4 choices, one steers to the agree/ disagree wisdom of compromise instead of choosing solution based alternatives- which this test doesn't offer. A most unsatisfactory poor example of rating ones socio/political standing in a world gone mad and looking for compromise. This kind of thinking gets us into this way that we find ourselves in this year 2005.

Alk-
Quote:
I hate Michael Moore.

You see yourself as a grandiose Ghandi/Dalai Lama. Somewhat enigmatic narcissistic infatuationist? It's all in your mind my dear world saver you. Sorry if I don't believe it, but such is an enigma. Then you say you Hate. Is this the feelings of one who would place himself among pacifist giants?Obviously, you can't believe everything these tests results offer.

Just for your record, oh Mr, Compromise Boddhisatva, my rating was-

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.10

I'm an extreme left/libertarian.

Not by chance, but by forced choice.

I wouldn't hold anything by this as I had to give answers that were extreme, as the choices left me no other compromise. The questions are loaded and so are my answers. Just more BS.

Perhaps you can take this into account as to what motivates your hatred.
Quote:
"Tell people something they know already and they will thank you. Tell them something new and they will hate you for it."- George Monbiot

A leading UK columnist and environmental thinker - and scourge of the corporatists.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]